Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roller Coaster Ride Number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well even with a sleeping pill,tamazepam, I am wide awake. Was pretty uncomfortable around 10:45 and my nurse brought me two Roxicontin, when I asked what it was he said it is like oxycontin but different. And even with all that I am still sitting here awake....hoping to listen to my relaxation music I have on my computer and maybe it will zonk me out!! Here's hoping.:fingersx:
 
@mystikfairy61 That first night in the hospital, I put in my earphones, turned on my Ipod and covered my eyes with a lavender eye mask. Didn't really sleep but it helped me to stay relaxed and zone out all the hospital noise. Hope you are able to get some rest, too.
 
Well here it is 12:30 and still awake...I had a tamazepam (sleeping pill) at 10, two Roxicontin at 11 which I was told were like oxycontin because my pain level was about 6 at 10:30 and morphine shot was not due til 12:30 so I asked what I could have and that is what he gave me. They helped, but I think I got it started up by doing 2 or 3 heel slides and my knee got mad at me. And also the CPM machine made it mad earlier as well, so the combo got it screaming mad. So I am just doing ankle pumps and using the breathing (spirometry). Hoping I can doze off to nap anyway in a bit. If not will ask about the morphine in another hour or so. ROFL went back up my posts and saw that I had already posted some of this info, so that shows I am tired, but not loopy at all. Wish the loopiness would arrive so I could sleep.
 
Morning all, the sleep fairy arrived at about 1:15 :sleep:and other than a 3 and 5 am nurse visit for meds and bloodwork, I slept :zzz:pretty well til almost 6am.:egypdance: I think that the CPM machine made the early part of my evening rough cause it was pretty uncomfortable!! :oyvey:Also just curious :what: did anyone ever notice that they tightened the muscles near and around the knee the first night without thinking about it. I did that several times last night.My OS said I could go home today but I just didn't feel that confident :scaredycat:on my first time up and don't think I am ready just yet. In fact, I kept the catheter all night so I wouldn't have to get up and down, but I did do ankle pumps and spirometry(breathing thingy) as well as probably 5 or 6 heel slides during the night.:tada:And have kept ice pack on all the time. :ice:Here's hoping that the pain stays better controlled today although I only had one rough period at around 11pm, and that my confidence in the knee will increase today.@jackspratt @craftdee Thanks Jackie and Donna!! Jackie I had no idea that you had your knee done in Sept. You beat me to the punch since yours was only 5 1/2 months apart and mine was 9 months to the day. The main thing that aggravated me is I came in with a nasty cough and some wheezing but no mucus or temp so there were no problems, just am tired of coughing. I am going to do my best to keep a decent journal this time, in hopes that it will help someone else.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to do my best to keep a decent journal this time, in hopes that it will help someone else.

@mystikfairy61 Checking in to see if you were able to get any sleep! It helps a lot reading the recovery journals and seeing the day to day. It's also interesting seeing what pain meds are being prescribed. I'm wondering what pain meds I'll be getting. I have reactions to quite a few of them. Oxie being one of them on my list.
 
@eldon Thanks for checking on me. I did get some pretty good sleep from about 1 to almost 6 except for 2 nurse visits at 3 and 5 after which I went right back to sleep. The hospital I came thru has what they call a multi-modal pain management system, where I get several different meds at different times of the day as well as during my surgery, the OS bathed the joint with a solution that helps control pain as well. While in here, I get oxycontin every 12 hours, 1000 mg of tylenol every 8 hours, first 24 hours post op I get morphine every 4 hours, but I also had what is called roxicontin last night which I was told was sort of like oxycontin but a little different, which helped me thru the rough time. If he does like he did with my hip, I will be going home with Percocet. You are talking about oxi being a problem for you, well my doc likes to use toradol and I am allergic so not sure what he did in place of that. I have the itches this morning and will ask him for something for those as well, guess it is just a combo of all the meds. Gonna try to finish looking at threads and maybe catch a few more winks before breakfast.
 
@mystikfairy61 I am glad to hear you are doing well after your surgery and it sounds as if your pain is well controlled too. That must be such a relief and also to get some sleep. Take it easy and enjoy the snoozing.
 
Hi Donna @mystikfairy61 So glad your op over & done with & you can start on your recovery. Do hope the meds & ice are controlling your pain better now.... My sis said the first 3 days were the worst !!!!
Hope you can get more sleep in too.... That cough sounds troublesome.... Not what you need at the moment! Take care.... Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny Thanks for the info about first 3 days, at least that gives me an idea. By the way, what did your doc say about your knee, I never did hear what you heard or what was decided regarding it? Please let me know.
 
Hi there..... Consultant said X-Ray showed OA in knee but still sufficient cartiledge left........ Said to lose 21lbs in weight which should help ..... Not doing too well on that score!!! However, he said if it became too painful then it will have to be replaced!!! Deep joy!
So.... I'm watching your progress with dome vested interest Donna! Xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny Sorry that you had OA in that knee. With only one day under my belt, all I can say is for me the pain is worse than it was with the hip, but the hip was worse going in than the knee, so I figured that the knee would seem more painful afterward. Hope it can hold off for your for some time to come.!!
 
I understand how you are feeling---I also had trouble sleeping in the hospital. My darling bride brought me some earphones to use, but alas, they did not help much.
Gonna try to finish looking at threads and maybe catch a few more winks before breakfast.
Great idea---sleep when you can!
 
Glad to hear your surgery went well - hope they get your meds worked out and you can get some sleep soon!
 
Here is day 1 of my journal, which will seem a little repetitive since I am just organizing my thoughts from yesterday and last night.
Day 1-
I arrived at 6am and was on my way to the OR by 7:50 and in my room 11:45. I have already been up for my first walk to my door and back and I sat up in the recliner for a couple of hours. I asked about my pain meds because the burning pain started. Not really bad, pain level only about a 4 and nurse brought me a shot of morphine at around 1pm.. Right after I woke up in recovery seemed to be the worst time, took about an hour to get it all settled down,and they gave me dilaudid IV in recovery. I had liquid lunch and since I had no nausea I was able to get a regular tray as well starting at lunch. After I got back in bed from the recliner, I did the CPM machine for 35 mins, which was very uncomfortable. I did my ankle pumps and spirometry regularly. Around 8:15pm I had my 12 hour oxycontin and my every 8 hour 1000mg of tylenol along with a shot of morphine, pain was about a 5. I had asked for something to help me sleep and I got it at 10pm, it was tamazepam. Around 10:45pm I got pretty uncomfortable with around a 7 on pain scale. My nurse brought me two Roxicontin, which are similar to oxycontin. Finally when the pain subsided to a 2 around 1:15am the sleep fairy arrived and delivered me to lala land. I slept til almost 6am with the exception of nurse visits at 3 and 5am for bloodwork, meds etc.
I had a feeling the knee was gonna be harder and so far that assumption is correct. I think the CPM is what caused the late evening pain.I think the pain got started up by doing 2 or 3 heel slides and my knee got mad at me. And also the CPM machine made it mad earlier as well, so the combo got it screaming mad.
 
Day 2- Woke up a little before 6, got on BS and updated. Had breakfast around 8am, had morning meds after breakfast including my 12 hr oxycontin, 1000 mg tylenol and flexeril. Got a shot of morphine about 9am and took a nap. OS and NP came to see me, drain came out, as well as catheter, no more IV fluids or oxygen clip on finger. Felt like a bird that was let out of a cage, I wasn't tied down to the bed, LOL!! Went for a walk around about 1/2 of the hallway by cutting across at the middle when PT and I took our walk right before lunch. After the walk, my pain level went up and I ended up with another morphine injection and 2 of the short acting oxycontin. This helped and I was able to take another nap. My daughter stayed with me and has helped me all day and will stay tonite since I will be going home tomorrow. I talked to my hubby and my primary care doc had called with my blood test results from Monday. My A1C was 6.7 which was really good, cholesterol was up a little so she said we will watch it. My Vitamin D was only at 16 and she said it needed to be more than 30 and that allowed me to be on a vitamin D replacement prescription that I will take Monday and Friday for 6 months and then we will recheck. PT came by and had me flex my ankle, press back of my knee to the bed and do leg lifts x 10, than had me sit on side of the bed and try to get my knee and ankle even and hold for 30 seconds, then walked the entire hall and did the stairs. I was ready to scream by the time I was done. Luckily that was what I had to do to be able to go home tomorrow plus gave me the 2 exercises I had just done to do two til my home PT comes either Friday or Monday, so I don't have to deal with them again. The leg lifts weren't too bad and neither was just the one time sitting exercise, but then the walk all the way around the entire floor got me, then I was expecting the stairs to be hard but actually they didn't bother me at all. But all of it combined definitely had my knee pitching a fit.
A friend of mine came to see me today, and I was told I could have another shot if I needed it at 6:30 and the short acting oxy at 7:30, so just need to get thru til then. Am thinking the visit made it easier. Will be back a lil later to add more for today.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@mystikfairy61 im responding to your questions from MajorHeidi's thread (I can't seem to cut and paste from another thread). Yes, my BTKR a was 4 months after my THR , and I am finding knees to be MUCH harder than my hip (sorry- probably not what you wanted to hear, but I'm sure it's not the first time- I was well warned from others on BS). The good news is that it does get better with time.

It sounds like you're doing better than I was at first. I did not walk around the halls until my discharge day (post op day 3). With my hip I was doing laps on post op day 1. Such a difference for me! I also did not have a CPM. I also had some problems with low O2 sats and low sodium for a few days. I went home on Norco (hydrocodone/tylenol) and I still take 1-2 at night and 1 sometimes during the day.

Follow the BS mantras and you should do well. I faltered by trying to "conserve" my meds and was in tears. My PA made up a new pain control regimen for me and life got much better. Take your meds on schedule and life will be so much easier. Now that I've caught up with your thread, I'll try to keep tabs on your recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
I got my night time meds as well as my 12 hr oxy. The last PT that I did this afternoon really made me miserable. Still painful to walk but also only day 2 so I know it will get better. Hoping tomorrow after I get home and get more in my own environment where I have more quiet, that I can rest, elevate and ice to my heart's content. I have been told to take my mobic daily after I go home, along with the percocet 1-2 every 4 hours and one aspirin twice daily as blood thinner. He is also sending me home with some tramadol I think. I just got a flexeril and will be getting a morphine shot in 30 mins. It has made my arms sore but is worth it because instead of wearing off in 30 mins like the IV does it usually lasts about 3 hours when it is IM. Hoping I can rest tonight again but since I have to get up to go to the bathroom(no catheter tonight) I don't think I will sleep as good tonight. Here's hoping.
 
Oh Donna I know this is hard....just take those meds.......Major surgery is not fun and that is what you had MAJOR!!!!!!!! You know the routine.....This first week will by no means be fun....Meds and Ice. You will get there Girl I know you will...Just keep asking for the meds,,,,, you know as well as I you need them more than ever now..Everyday will bring improvement...Do as much PT as you can and no more.I'm thinking of you sweetie...take care of yourself....I'll be checking in...Love you!!!! XO:SUNsmile: When the new year rings in I will raise my glass and toast to you!!!:martini: We are certainly strong women I think.....think???? I KNOW.....Rest my dear.....:chillpill:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom