THR Robin's Left Hip Replacement Recovery

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Robin!
Have a great rest of the week and a beautiful Autumn season!
@BellaMac
 
Two month mark - hip is great. However, pain in that knee has gotten so bad, I have to use a cane to walk. The pain started gradually, not "an all of a sudden " so I cannot identify what, if anything, I did that caused an injury. Has anyone else had gradual onset of knee pain after hip replacement? I enjoyed a week or so free of pain, after several years to the contrary. I'm feeling very sorry for myself this evening.
 
I’m sure it‘s very disappointing to get both hips done so you can feel better only to have a knee flare up. Hopefully it’s “just” a general adjustment to the newest hip and will settle in time.
 
@BellaMac Have you replaced your main walking shoes since your surgery? Wearing shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern can causes all kinds of aches and pains.
 
How is your knee feeling today?
 
Has anyone else had gradual onset of knee pain after hip replacement?
Yes, I did and was reminded that the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process, more so depending upon the approach used. At another post op visit, inquiring about my knee again, I was told that my body was adjusting to a different gait since THR and all should gradually fall into place. I believe at my three month post op, after inquiring, again, my knee was x-rayed and revealed mild arthritis. Wondering if you've ever had yours x-rayed? Jaycey does make a good point with the walking shoes, often a solution that many aren't advised about.

Hope you have a nice weekend!
@BellaMac
 
Good morning @BellaMac ,
Your family has been through a lot!

I have had a similar healing pattern.
The first 3 weeks the progress was so encouraging that I stopped the pain meds, ice, and cane.

I also went back to work remotely which really kicked my butt for the first few days.

My superwoman cape did not appear in my closet.

Once in a while I get groin pain and there is an isolated localized painful spot about 1/3 of the way up from the hip. There is no knot or bruise just the pain.

I had hip dysplasia and the arthritis made it look like I had a leg length disrepancy. That was mostly fixed during surgery.

I think a lot of these pains during healing are from when our bodies have been compensating for years means it all takes time to settle down.

I have been jotting down questions to ask my OS at my 6 week. I am also back to icing and my boyfriend has to do more while he is here this weekend than I had planned.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all rolled in to one!
Many blessings to you in 2023!
@BellaMac
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom