THR Robin's Left Hip Replacement Recovery

@BellaMac, I hope that you are feeling better today and that your son is improving. Like you I’m also caring for my 25 year old son who is autistic with severe learning difficulties and challenging behaviour. My main worry going into hospital was how he was going to cope, and also how my husband would cope with him because I have also been caring for my husband since an illness he had three years ago.

If I hadn’t had the hip replacement I would have eventually been unable to look after either of them, or my mother who is 95, so it had to work out some way, and it did. We all survived.

It’s always a worry.
Thank you for sharing this with me/us. Routine is paramount to an individual on the autistic spectrum and a deviation can (well, not have a positive effect). I totally understand the concern on husband handling your son!!!! Primary Caretakers can take care of others and themselves - I am so glad you did and all worked out in the end. I love they way you said it - you ALL survived.
 
@BellaMac, just checking in on you. Hope things have settled down a bit and you’ve had a good week. We’re here if you need us. :yahoo:
 
I'm doing very well and so grateful. Developed thigh pain several days ago and thankfully I had my first post op appointment with surgeon on Friday to check it out. Surgeon was a no show but his PA is fantastic. Took 20 min with me explaining why thigh pain in most cases is normal and will go away. My swelling isn't that bad, another concern I had. I walked out of office feeling at peace. My son at Hopkins is starting to talk and is able to drink with help. That is very good news, a sign he is recovering. My poor husband with a blood cancer needs to have a transfusion tomorrow at the hospital - his oncologist is top-notch, has him do monthly labs. She called him Thursday, within hours of his draw, to talk with him herself. Since the numbers weren't too low, it wasn't "a get to the hospital asap" which I'm grateful for. I have a dear friend lined up to come over, if I can't manage the 6 hours he will be away or if admitted. My goal today is to wash my hair - I'm a bit depressed and haven't cleaned up since Thursday. I went to my doctor's appointment with no makeup and dirty hair!!!! Most importantly, PA is very in line with the philosophy shared here. If it hurts, don't do it. Walking is the best exercise. We don't need to suffer: No medals given for suffering because we think pain pills should not be taken past week 2. If we are in pain, we are more likely not to move, have more mood dips and that is counter productive. PA added he and my surgeon expect his patients to need some pain pill relief up to 2 month post op. Trust the information provided here on BoneSmart
 
@BellaMac, your post is like medicine to my soul and others who will see that things can be managed and a great result is awaiting! So happy for each little miracle that contributed to your positive week.

From the day of my first THR, I took time to put on my make-up. After that ritual, I felt more like myself and was ready to tackle each moment. I couldn’t wash my hair for awhile because of the restrictions back then but I threw my long blonde hair in a pony tail and went on with my day. Just keeping that sense of who I was before surgery was enough to keep my depression at bay. I looked for my miracles every day and took such joy in the smallest things.

You’re doing great and I know things will continue to be doable with your hubby and your son with help lined up when needed. Good job!!
:loveshwr:
 
:hi: @BellaMac
Glad to hear you got reassurance from your doctor appointment and so glad your son is improving.
This hip recovery is certainly only a snapshot in time... and I do think we spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about if we are progressing "fast enough" instead of letting our bodies dictate the timeline.
I think you are doing just fine.
 
Hello @BellaMac ,
I'm sorry you are dealing with thigh pain along with all else. Hopefully it is improving. It is good to hear your surgeon's PA took the time to thoroughly explain the reason for the pain. I hope his explanation was reassuring, putting your mind at ease. Thankfully your son is improving and your husbands physician is closely monitoring his health.

I am quite sure medical professionals are accustomed to seeing patients "not at their best". I'm sure you're feeling much better now with clean hair and peace of mind. I do believe making the daily effort helped my outlook during the sometimes slow moving healing process. After getting tired of the reflection in the bathroom mirror for four days post op, I put the blow comb to work and pulled out the make-up. Application was minimal, not full drag, :wink:as I kiddingly call it, but nonetheless a mood booster making me feel more "normal". Add a little spritz of your favorite scent and you can take on the world, lol.
I hope today is a good one! :friends:
 
My Evan took a fall today while showering, he is still at Hopkins and has aides to assist him in walking, eating, etc. He was alone in the shower when he fell resulting in a non displaced fracture of the right acetabular rim. A fractured hip!!!! Please pray for him. He is speaking some now and I was able to talk to him this evening. Treatment will be determined by the orthopedic surgeon -
 
Aww, I am so very sorry. Poor dear Evan. I will definitely remember him in prayer. :prayer:
I'm sure this is very difficult for you. Sending a warm hug your way. :console2:
@BellaMac
 
Ortho at Hopkins has said that conservative treatment for Evan's fracture, is appropriate for now, atleast. This is a positive! I spoke with the physician assistant in MY surgeon's office. He will see Evan as soon as he is discharged from Hopkins. It was a very positive interaction. Bob's doing better as well, since his transfusion, and I am grateful for that. I'm still using walker. About a week ago, I developed some issue in my middle thigh, that is causing a lot of pain and has hindered my graduating to a cane. The pain in inner thigh is gone, so hoping this will resolve itself as well. Tylenol helps, and reading threads here on others recovery journey has been a blessing.
 
All good news, things are looking up, brighter days are on the way! :SUNsmile:
Thanks for the update.
@BellaMac
 
The thigh pain I was having miraculously disappeared today, and without that pain I was able to comfortably transition to cane. It is not painful to use, and I don't feel unstable. However, there is no way I can walk without the cane, because it is too painful when I tried to put full weight on that leg. What is the average length of time one is able to walk without a cane. I do not remember when I tossed the cane on my right hip.
 
What is the average length of time one is able to walk without a cane.
There isn't an average time I'm afraid. As you are finding, literally every recovery is different, even on the same person. Use the cane until you feel very confident without it. Still early days for you!
 
I missed your one month anniversary on Sunday. :sad:
A belated Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you have a lovely week.
@BellaMac
 
Quick update at almost 7 weeks post-op: Saw Surgeon for second post-op visit. Took x-rays and all looks great. Lifted all restrictions! He asked me if I was glad I moved forward to have this hip done, in spite of all that happened immediately after. I said, "absolutely", it all worked out because I had people who went the extra mile to care for my husband, and our Evan while I recovered. I am truly blessed. PS, Evan may be discharged this Friday, having made a full recovery.
 
Awesome news on all! Things are looking up. Thanks for sharing @BellaMac
Have wonderful week!
 
What a great update! Oh, my, how differently things look when we feel better! You get a gold star for bravery and perseverance. I hope each day forward gives you joy aplenty. So happy for you, @BellaMac
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom