TKR Rita's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can offer you raised seat i got 2 sent,keep trying knee bends with sheet but does not seem to increase,lifting leg is getting better though,sleep can forget but never been very good.
 
congrats, Rita.
 
Rita, you seem to be doing great!:thumb: I was wondering about my walk in shower too so thank you for letting me know that it works well! I can't wait til I get home to try it! Ahhhhhh, the comforts of home!:yahoo: I was one to always have high BP, but now I am battling low BP so I am hoping I will be taking ona BP med from now on.
I am so pleased that you are doing so well!:friends: May you have a continued progressive recovery!:yes 4:
 
Community nurse has visited today to check my wound. It's looking good, just one little bit of oozing which should stop now that the dressing has been changed. No staples/sutures/clips to come out, just one sub cut suture which will dissolve - amazing.
Pain a bit worse yesterday evening & today, not sure why, maybe because I am doing a little more. Having a day off bending exercises today, ust getting out of the chair every hour & doing a few laps of the house. Back to the regime tomorrow when wound/new dressing has settled.
Loving my Cryo :thumb:
 
hi have you no clips nurse been last week i have 45 clips had op in doncaster.Changed dressing but still bleeding slightly,coming next week take clips out if stopped.Bad night no sleep ,doing same just walking round house today good luck
 
Day 9 & doing OK. Just a couple of things bothering me. First I am struggling to elevate my TKR leg because it triggers sciatic pain which has been a real downer for the last couple of days. Second - I might be imagining this but I feel that my TKR leg is slightly longer than the other one..... anyone else noticed this? Of all the risks that my consultant went through (in great detail) he never mentioned this Hope I'm wrong :scratch:.
Otherwise doing great. Have been outside to walk in my cul de sac 3 times now. Can get round the house without a crutch & am achieving a decent ROM in left knee. My first Physio session on Monday will show if I'm actually doing as well as I feel I am. No Richard - no clips at all, clever stuff eh?:yes 4:
 
Sounds like you are doing great, attitude is such a major factor getting through this. I always come here when I need a boost. Here people really understand, and it's great to share.
 
Rita you are doing amazingly well ! I note your comment about your leg being longer than the other one, I too have that situation. I was always 5' 8" but gradually over the years I lost 2 inches in height due to the bending in both my knees.
I can really feel the difference in my legs now that my right knee has been replaced. My right leg is of course straighter now and therefore my left is still currently 2 inches shorter. Its weird and since I am experiencing a lot of hip pain on my operated leg, perhaps this could be one of the causes.
You sound to be coping better than me with the pain relief and my exercising is down to heel slides on the plastic like yourself, and walking around the house. I have not been outside and I cant get the pain under control yet.
Hopefully I will improve even though its a slower journey for me.
Well done.
Viv xx
 
I have a leg length discrepency too, because of the surgery, but also because I have scoliosis, and my hips are crooked.
 
LLD (leg length discrepancy) can cause lots of problems if it is more than 1/4 inch. The body will adjust to a slight discrepancy; but when it becomes 1/2 inch or greater, you and your body are quite aware of it.

A lift inside a shoe cannot be more than 3/8" to be comfortable and to allow the shoe to stay on your foot. For more adjustment than that, you must have a lift added to the sole of the shoe.

I have a 1/2" to 5/8" discrepancy. I can go barefooted in the house for short periods of time, but after a while I am very conscious of the hyperextension in my left leg and the unnatural bend in my right. The only shoes I wear now have the lift on the sole of the left shoe. It keeps my body in balance and keeps me comfortable.

Anyone with a truly discernible LLD should get a lift for shoes worn on the short leg. It will make a world of difference in how one feels and walks.
 
What a nice surprise - able to go out today for a birthday lunch with my hubby (his). Never thought I would be able to do 'social' things at this stage, it was really nice. I walked around between courses & no-one batted an eyelid.
Thanks for all you replies about Leg Length - I guess I'm not imagining it, it's only very slight, perhaps 1 cm or less, am just hoping it doesn't cause hip pain.
Keep on truckin everyone! :flowerysmile:
 
Always had 1 leg longer i have insole on operated leg i asked if i would have leg shortened os said would leave as is.Walking 6 times round side street twice a day no stick ,just need it to get down hill tolevel .have 45 clips ,had stiches butterfly clips never staples not looking forward to them coming out bit of a wimp.
 
Always had 1 leg longer i have insole on operated leg i asked if i would have leg shortened os said would leave as is.Walking 6 times round side street twice a day no stick ,just need it to get down hill tolevel .have 45 clips ,had stiches butterfly clips never staples not looking forward to them coming out bit of a wimp.
Taking the staples out shouldn't hurt Richard, you'll feel great after - kind of 'free'. :thumb: You are doing good walking outside, you can't go far in Yorkshire without tackling a hill! :th_heehee:
 
Hi Rita

Congratulations on your new knee and well done for doing so well - you are having a wonderful recovery. Regarding a longer leg, I feel that my left leg is a touch longer but I think that is because I can get it so straight compared to my non-operated leg. Strange business :rolleyespink:.

Take care and keep us posted.
 
What a nice surprise - able to go out today for a birthday lunch with my hubby (his). Never thought I would be able to do 'social' things at this stage, it was really nice. I walked around between courses & no-one batted an eyelid.
Thanks for all you replies about Leg Length - I guess I'm not imagining it, it's only very slight, perhaps 1 cm or less, am just hoping it doesn't cause hip pain.
Keep on truckin everyone! :flowerysmile:

Hi Rita!

It is great to hear you are doing so well!:yes 4:

As for the leg length problem, I had that after I had my left knee replaced. I was
1 and1/4 inches taller with that leg. (of course I had ignored all the knee pain signs for years by then.). 2and 1/2 months later I had the right knee replaced and I was back to my original height.:biggrin:
 
Have had an interesting 24 hrs. Woke yesterday (Saturday) with the room spinning round everytime I moved my head, slightly better when I was upright than when I was lying down. Got up & coped all day feeling 'not quite right', very dizzy evertime I glanced/reached down or up. Got into bed last night & room was spinning again - felt just like the Morphine dizziness of Day 1. Hubby & I decided between us that it is probably Tramadol related, so have now ditched Tramodol in favour of Naproxen. Also remembered that when I had my bloods done after surgery the nurse said my sodium was 'a bit low' - never gave it any more thought until the middle of the night when my hubby realised that we have been using lo-salt for his hypertension, thereby lowering my (already low) blood pressure. So ............ Tramodol + low sodium = dizziness! Good detective work eh? Am feeling better already, dizziness is abating & I amanged to go to church this morning, which was lovely. Is there a dizzy smiley I wonder? :spin:
 
Well this thread explains something my husband has noticed. I'm now walking without crutches and concentrating on not limping (not easy with a limited ROM!), but he thinks I'm walking as if the tkr leg is longer than the other. I have my OR report which says they used a 10mm PS Prolong, and I'm sure I didn't have 10mm of cartilage left on that knee! So I guess it's bound to feel weird for a while.

PS You guys have me feeling nostaligic for Yourkshire hills. Taught in Donny and Edlow in the past.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom