• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR RinTinTin Recovery Thread

leejaa

supremo
Country
United States United States
No matter that it is our second hip, it is a frustrating part of the recovery. I was grumpy around the edges with this hip and I knew it would get better but it was very wearing and your surgeries are much closer together. Sometimes we just get tired of having limitations and irritations of recovery. Be kind to yourself and try not to overdo as you know it can set you back and you are only 1wk out so easy does it on the walking. You have shared so much kindness and common sense with others so now it is time to be kind to yourself.

OP
OP
RinTinTin

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
No matter that it is our second hip, it is a frustrating part of the recovery. I was grumpy around the edges with this hip and I knew it would get better but it was very wearing and your surgeries are much closer together. Sometimes we just get tired of having limitations and irritations of recovery. Be kind to yourself and try not to overdo as you know it can set you back and you are only 1wk out so easy does it on the walking. You have shared so much kindness and common sense with others so now it is time to be kind to yourself.
I am taking it easy... I know I got nowhere to race to. I've learnt the patience is the key.
Yes, it's hard to have all the limitations but there is alway light at the end of the tunnel.
:)

OP
OP
RinTinTin

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
One question for you dear people...
When I wake up from a sleep or even a nap...the first thing my operated leg does is it gets into some kind of spasm or twitching motion (not sure if I am describing this right). It’s different than the restless legs syndrome and it feels pretty uncomfortable when the whole area tries to heal. Sometimes it’s only one longer cramp, sometimes it’s a series of smaller ones. I am taking magnesium calm on a pretty regular basis so I don’t think it’s lack of it.
I am a bit puzzled
Anyone else experienced it?

ceezee

graduate
Country
When I wake up from a sleep or even a nap...the first thing my operated leg does is it gets into some kind of spasm or twitching motion (not sure if I am describing this right).
I had that with my first hip surgery but not my second. My foot would twitch up all by itself and I could feel it up through to my thigh. It didn’t happen all the time but certainly enough to be annoying. Eventually it stopped.

I’m thinking you should check to make sure you’re taking the right amount of magnesium. If you need to up it that may help. The recommended dose for men is 420mg per day.

longtimechemist

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I googled “posterior total hip replacement” a few weeks ago. On the video results page I found a real-life THR vídeo. It showed everything except the closure process at the end.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Yes, (VSlowLife) is right.
I have recommended and taken it in the Glycinate form because it's touted as easiest on the intestinal tract due to being absorbed really well by the body without causing diarrhea. And (ceezee) is correct is sharing the recommended daily dose for men is 420mg per day as you can readily confirm online. Possibly you're taking less...and if so may benefit from the 420mg per day?
I hope you have a nice rest of the day!
@RinTinTin

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:@RinTinTin
I honestly had such a myriad of weirdnesses going on with one side or the other at 10 days out, I cant exactly recall what for how long (likely the drugs)
Hope you are getting a tad more mobile.
Such a tough last half of the year with all this recovery drama...
Hope today is a Good Day.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and good morning! I had that with my second hip this summer! What was most bothersome for me was that it caused such a hip extension I seriously was worried about dislocating. I was anterior and the twitching spasm-like movement was super stressful to my incision area.
It became less frequent but continued to happen for at least the first 5 weeks.
And I was chuck full of magnesium.. I tend to fight the dreaded restless legs syndrome and I am guessing it kicked it up a notch.

I hope yours settles down soon. Have a good day!

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @RinTinTin
Wondering how you are faring and hoping some of those spasms have abated so you can can rest better.

You need a few Christmas emojis to brighten up your thread!
:wreath::christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon::wreath:

OP
OP
RinTinTin

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
Hi @RinTinTin
Wondering how you are faring and hoping some of those spasms have abated so you can can rest better.

You need a few Christmas emojis to brighten up your thread!
:wreath::christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon::wreath:
Had my first PT yesterday (2 weeks post-op). Everything is as expected for this stage of recovery. Even though I thought this one is more stubborn than the righty - ended up I am more flexible doing some light stretches with the lefty. Got the same set of PT exercises to do in bed and holding the kitchen countertop.
My PT is pretty sure the those little spasms are the result of the muscles and nerves waking up and letting me know. It's still there but not as bothersome as earlier.
I have my first appointment with my OS on Friday and I will ask his opinion.

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
:yes!:I am glad to know the bothersome things are getting better and you have more flexibility with this hip than the other. Sounds like you have some very gentle PT going on and another pair of eyes to watch over your progress.
How wonderful you get to see your OS this week, too!

A new grandchild :roseshwr: how wonderful. Happy news is good medicine.

OP
OP
RinTinTin

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
:wow: @RinTinTin What a wonderful early surprise. Congratulations!! Hope you are in traveling shape soon, so you can hold her. Life is so very sweet.
I will postpone the trip till the Spring. My wife is flying there on Friday. I can pretty much navigate on my own through the entire house. I think I'll be okay

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
B3nzaah
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom