THR RinTinTin Recovery Thread

Ahh, so you should have had your first good(ish) sleep at home last night.
There's nothing like getting to home sweet home.
I hope today is a good day for you. :flwrysmile:

Good Morning RinTinTin :wave:
I hope you slept well and you're feeling chipper and spry on this lovely Friday.
Well, maybe that's pushing it a bit :wink:
I'll bet it feels good to be back in your own space. I imagine you've honed a routine since you were in the throes of recovery already. I'm wishing you a weekend of well managed pain and restorative rest in the comfort of your own home. Happy Friday!
@RinTinTin

Hi @CricketHip and @Layla...
I had surprisingly good sleep in my recliner. Woke up every 4 hours to take my Oxycodone pill and walk to the loo. Pain is under control with only Oxycodone and I hope it stays that way. My logs say I discontinued it in September after 10 days and switched to Tylenol Arthritis.
This time I don't need the arthritis pill so may just switch to regular Tylenol.
Taking it easy again... walking every hour for a few minutes and doing the simple muscle squeezes I was recommended to do.

Good morning :mcoffee:, for me...
Went to bed Too Early and up at 3:30 am...reminds me of my former nightstalker recovery days.:) :-) (:

Glad you are home and settling in.
I am so happy I kept the log... it serves me as reminder and guideline now.

Please take care when referring to your log, friend.
Different hip, different recovery.
Could go similarly but do let number two have it's own go...may need less or may need more in terms of time on meds, exercise, etc.
Healing vibes coming your way...

Good morning @RinTinTin Welcome home with hip number two. Sounds like you are well prepared with your log from last time and your trusty recliner. Searching those up right now. Four hours sleep the first night home sounds really great. Hope lefty plays nice with righty and that you come through round two in great shape. Take care. Sarah

Your first weekend home with your new hip! I am hoping to hear that you have had another good night. I still cannot believe that the 3 months have come and gone and you now are finished with both surgeries!
How is righty doing? I hope it's not complaining in any way.

Please take care when referring to your log, friend.
Different hip, different recovery.

Comparing my current recovery with the log is helpful just to see at what stage I was with the righty at the same point of time.
But of course you are right - different hip; different recovery. I can say now that the righty behaved much better than the lefty. This one is slightly more painful and I have a bit of swellings in the knee and quads areas which I didn't have before. Still, can't complain, all seems to be normal, expected and under control.
Thanks for your healing vibes @Mojo333 :)

Good morning @RinTinTin Welcome home with hip number two. Sounds like you are well prepared with your log from last time and your trusty recliner. Searching those up right now. Four hours sleep the first night home sounds really great. Hope lefty plays nice with righty and that you come through round two in great shape. Take care. Sarah

Hi Sarah, I got my recliner just couple days before my first surgery and I can tell it was the best investment ever. I simply don't know how I would be able to sleep without it. I slept in it 17 nights before moving to my bed the first time.
Thanks for the nice wishes... I do hope too that the lefty behaves as well
:)

Your first weekend home with your new hip! I am hoping to hear that you have had another good night. I still cannot believe that the 3 months have come and gone and you now are finished with both surgeries!
How is righty doing? I hope it's not complaining in any way.

Hi @CricketHip
Yes, I had another wonderful night... woke up only to take my meds and to go to the washroom.
I am so proud of my righty even though I could not exercise it the way I was supposed to. It does complain once in a while especially when I have to lift my bodyweight from the recliner and load all the weight on it but it appears to be strong.

Congratulations @RinTinTin on your (hopefully) final hip surgery! :yay:You're doing all the right things and have a good mindset to sail through the ups and downs of this bizarre party called hip recovery. :xmark:. Keep up the good work. Sending healing hugs across the pond.

Congratulations @RinTinTin on your (hopefully) final hip surgery! :yay:You're doing all the right things and have a good mindset to sail through the ups and downs of this bizarre party called hip recovery. :xmark:. Keep up the good work. Sending healing hugs across the pond.
Thanks for your healing hugs @Calgal

Hi @RinTinTin
I hope you had a nice weekend and the week is starting out well for you.
One week tomorrow already for Lefty and three months for Righty tomorrow.
I'm wishing you a Happy Three Month Anniversary for Righty now in case I forget.

I bet you'll be feeling pretty good by the time the clock strikes midnight on New Years Eve. Still lots of healing to happen after that, but I recall feeling pretty good at One Month out. Don't let the holidays drain you too much.
:banana-santa: :santa-dance: Love these crazy guys! Have a good one! :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

Hi @Layla.
This recovery is so much different that the previous one. Typical example that no two surgery even with the same person are alike.
I have considerable pain that's somehow managed with the meds and a lot of swelling in the entire leg. I am doing everything by the book: elevating, icing, walking to move those muscles, resting... I guess there is a lot more healing with this one

Sorry to hear this, and it really is true that no two hips are the same. I found the same thing with my second hip. Poor lefty was in bad shape by the time you got on that surgery table.. just give it time.. which I know you will do.
Are there any updates yet about the upcoming birth of your new grand baby?
exciting times!

Sorry to hear this, and it really is true that no two hips are the same. I found the same thing with my second hip. Poor lefty was in bad shape by the time you got on that surgery table.. just give it time.. which I know you will do.
Are there any updates yet about the upcoming birth of your new grand baby?
exciting times!
If the doctors are right... the little one is due on Dec 23rd. My wife is flying to Calgary on the 20th. Hopefully I'll be okay by then to cruise on my own through the house :)
I increased my walks today in hope it will reduce the swellings but so far no changes. My wound is nice and clean but hurts to the touch. I guess the lefty went through way more trauma than the righty.

Oh goodness! December 23rd.. that is so exciting! Yah, you should be fine on your own by December 20th, but I am sorry that you can't be with them- you will be in spirit, though.
Tomorrow is just one full week for lefty. After your walks you may want to elevate the legs and try some of the deep diaphragmatic breathing? That may very well help move the swelling that you are experiencing.

I'll leave it here for you, just in case. I noticed with my most recent THR and swelling that it didn't begin responding until the second week, but then again maybe it was and it would have been even more swollen if I hadn't practiced the MLD techniques? Then one day I was able to lie down in bed, elevate and do the MLD techniques until I fell asleep and later when I awakened I felt so much better and the swelling was much less. :banana-santa:

Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, or 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 5 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you could get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will, and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom