Right Total Hip Replacement - July 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.
marcopollo - regarding the drive, I agree to check with your surgeon. My experience had me going 45 minutes to get home and I hated it. It was very uncomfortable even with the seat tilted back to avoid the 90 degree angle restriction. I couldn't wait to get out.
 
I only had to go 5 minutes from hospital to home. Agree with veganism, it was uncomfortable. The thought of 5 hours in a car so soon after surgery makes me shudder.
Ally
 
I can relate. I have been a runner for 35 years. There is not other release that running gives me. I have not been able to run for a year and I still grieve the loss. I too, am thankful that I will be able to be active again, but running was something that I was actually really good at, even as I got older. "Life isn't fair"
 
Fiddletwist never say never. You never know once you get your new hip. Its such a big difference for me and it's only been seven weeks. Xxxxx
 
Mamarey.... I'm the opposite, I'm a rubbish runner, I run like Emu! Okay some people won't know him. Look up Rod Hull and Emu on youtube.... or the wee girl at the start of fraggle rock... only with worse legs! Lol
 
I've been offline for many weeks so I am just catching up. Thanks all for the input on the long ride. In a perfect world (which, of course, I will have) I would want to do the drive about four or five days post-op. I will stay with friends after the hospital. Could always stay longer. The drive can be broken up easily into two days...or three if we go to the wine country...oh, but that doesn't mix with the pain meds. Actually, it would be just fine for my wife!
fiddletwist > Yeah! I've found a hippie buddy. We will have to join the July thread. Looks like we are both getting our right one done. Is your's anterior, like mine?
Littlejem > That is Jake...he is pretty darn cute. I have two more. Bennie, another younger Labradoodle like Jake, and Molly the old girl...16, shepherd-mix, and going strong. If only I could have hips like hers at 7x16=112 years old.
 
Yeah! I've found a hippie buddy. We will have to join the July thread. Looks like we are both getting our right one done. Is your's anterior, like mine?

I don't know... I'm having my consult with the surgeon in 2 weeks and that is the first question at the top of my list: where are you putting the incision???
 
Wow, been over a month since I posted. Four weeks from tomorrow is my date. Getting excited. Nervous. Anxious. But above all...anticipating the relief from having a new hip...after recovery. The pain seems to be getting worse, but I think that is somewhat psychological as I know the surgery is coming and relief is in sight. Body talking mind into the fact that this needs to be done sooner than later. Whatever it takes!

One thing I am becoming more conscious of is my wife's building anxiety. She will be my primary care giver for my recovery and I think she gets nervous about how much work it will be for her. I helped nurse her through her rotator cuff shoulder surgery a couple of years ago, but this will be much more work. I think it is the mystery of it. We have some casual friends where he just had both his hips resurfaced (second 3 weeks after first) and he is about six weeks post op. We have talked a few times and Beth and I think we should have them over to talk turkey. Demystify it for both of us.

fiddletwist. How did your consult go? You still on for 7/22?

I will try to spend more time her in the run-up to 7/10 for me. Thank you all for your stories, experiences and support.
 
@marcopolo, We will have our surgery on the same day, so we'll be surgery buddies! This site has given me so much confidence.
 
marcopollo, Please tell your wife she wont have to do everything for you post op. You will be able to do stairs by yourself before you leave hospital.You will be able to do toileting yourself. You may need help with washing and dressing for the first weeks. Having meals prepared for you. If you read the info in the library about what you need round the house for your recovery I am sure you can put your minds at ease. Many people have had to cope on their own which is tricky but doable.
 
fiddletwist. How did your consult go? You still on for 7/22?

Yes indeed! And I met with the surgeon and he said that he was definitely going to do an anterior incision on me! So I'm happy about that, because it'll speed everything up for me. I agree with the point that you won't be bedridden afterwards - I have a friend who's had both hips done, and posterior incisions too, and she said that she did not need a shower chair, was able to do stairs before she left the hospital, and so on. She lives by herself and she managed with just friends dropping by, and a couple of aids (sock thing with the handles, a little long-handled plyer thing to let you pick up stuff that drops on the floor, a long pillow to put between her legs when she slept). I'm planning to get by with my 12-year-old and some neighbors to take her out for groceries, checkups, etc. and drive me to follow-up appointments.
 
I handled everything on my own. I had all the tools beforehand, as I was so immobile prior to surgery. I had a commode over toilet, shower chair, a couple of grabbers, walker, cane, crutches. Dressing is the biggest challenge (pants, shoes) and you will need help with meals as standing for long periods won't be possible. It will be best to get up every hour and walk around and when resting, icing and elevating. I went up and down stairs, etc.
In PT and OT, they will rehearse every scenario for your home, including getting in and out of the car and bed.
Getting in and out of bed was also difficult for me, as my bed is high and I could not lift my leg. I also had a leg strap which I used for the first 10 days to help me get in and out of bed.
 
marcopollo your wife won't be doing a whole lot she wasn't doing anyway, unless you are the main chef, house cleaner, and laundry-doer. Help with showering, maybe, and with dressing, maybe. I had an anterior approach, which is a little quicker recovery in the early weeks, and was confident to let my husband leave town for 2 days in the second week, and 3 days every week so far after that. I'm feeding cats, fixing my own meals, doing a little laundry once or twice a week, have done a little very light cleaning, all at 3 weeks and one day. I could if I had to cook a full meal, but would have to take a nap after for about 3 hours! Read all about "Energy Drain" in the library here-- it's very very real. If your wife thinks you're cute when you sleep, tell her to keep her phone handy LOL. You will do a lot of it!
Please tell your wife for me that one of the most important chores she will have is to keep track of when and how much pain meds you take, especially while in the hospital. My husband did that for me, and took notes when people stopped by for whatever purpose, and it was invaluable. The rest will not be difficult at all. Support, decision making when your brains are fried, etc. And a nice massage here and there :)
We have some casual friends where he just had both his hips resurfaced (second 3 weeks after first) and he is about six weeks post op. We have talked a few times and Beth and I think we should have them over to talk turkey. Demystify it for both of us.
I think I have read on here that resurfacing is totally different than THR, so your friend's turkey might be your, um, marigolds-- not at all alike. I'm going to tag Josephine for you.

Stick around and play while you're waiting-- it will take your mind off :)
 
Hi Marc, I think you will find recovery from THR is much easier than rotator cuff surgery. One of our Mods here had that surgery recently so I'll tag her for first hand input jerseychick.

I was alone most of my recovery and had absolutely no problems. I until someone was within shouting distance to do things like taking a shower. With anterior approach you normally have far fewer restrictions.

But with any approach that drive is going to be a challenge. I have a wedge cushion I used in the car just post op. Worked great. You will need to stop and stretch very regularly. If you can break the journey that would be great. You will be very tired at first and the slightest effort can require a nap.

Glad you joined us!
 
Wow! Thank you all so much for your words and encouragement...and a reality check. I will share them with Beth. Good to know about the resurfacing, but we had so much in common...symptoms (both hips), reference pain (though he had more in the groin...my quads & knees), love of wine (we meet weekly at a wine tasting room nearby, and birthdays (both Feb 28th...tho I have a number of years on him). Anyway, I understand there are differences...he is just doing so well...I wanna be like him!!
 
Heading down to Stanford tomorrow (6 hour drive) for my pre-op on Monday and it I supposed to be raining the whole time. Bummer! Oh we'll...some time in the car (a Mini Cooper for all you Brits) to reflect and psych up. Two and a half weeks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom