TKR Right TKR is done

@KarriB I really can't say why I was on keflex except that when I came into the office with my first opening he got excited that I could get an infected knee joint so when he aspirated the leg I was already on antibiotics. Then after surgery I went home on keflex. So after the stitches came out he asked if I had any antibiotics left and I said I had 2 days which was that day and the next. But then on the thursday, my last day of keflex I found the new hole. Then when he saw me on friday he decided to put me oN doxycycline. I'm wondering if he is just covering so that I don't get an infection. I really don't know a lot. Obviously if he would have told me he had seen the hole like this appear before in his practice and what the outcome may be, I would have had a better understanding and confidence in this process. He did not and hasn't done a very good job of communicating to me about any of this. Had I known more before the surgery that it could occur again I may have opted for something else. I guess I was having blind faith that he knew what was best for my situation.
I had spoken with the rheumatologist about losing weight different times since he was the one who had been giving me shots in my knees the last 2 years. He referred me to a program at the hospital that had success and I said with the amount of weight I should lose, I'd probably lose it on my ankles or wrist - not on my thighs! He chuckled with me - but it is true! I am committed to keep working on it.
The thing that comes to mind is that I had 2 hip surgeries prior to this surgery and I know there was and is fat on my butt, and I didn't have any problems with open areas on either of them. I just wonder if there is a difference in sewing me up after the end of the surgery. I think they used glue on me then...so I didn't gain more weight since then....what makes it 'my' problem now.
On another note, I'm not sure if there is an ID at the wound clinic but I know in my mom's case for her sore they did do cultures. I know more about what to ask now of any dr.
The hole seems to be producing less fluid as the day went on today, so I'm happy with that too.
Thank you all for your thoughts and concerns. Praying my body will heal this up and I caN make this a memory and part of the past.
 
Can anyone tell me if they have had any experience with a wound vac? I spoke with a gal I saw for pt today and she said that I may have a wound vac on my opening. Apparently the hospital here has a wound nurse that I didn't know about until today and I at least know I have other options if this doesn't work at the wound clinic in Dubuque tomorrow. I will certainly have more to ask questions about. The pt says from what my opening sounds like it shouldn't take long to heal that with the use of a,wound vac. Appreciate any advice if anyone has used one or knows of others that have. Thanks.
 
The pt says from what my opening sounds like it shouldn't take long to heal that with the use of a,wound vac. Appreciate any advice if anyone has used one or knows of others that have. Thanks.
Yes, there are a couple of people who had a wound vac. I believe @ACDCJen is still using one and @zzevi used one. Would you ladies mind talking to GingerP about your experiences?
 
If anyone here has used one on a knee wound, listen to them. I used one, but it was an abdominal wound, so sure to be a very different experience. Mine didn't hamper my mobility, for example. Overall, though, I can say it doesn't hurt and did a great job in healing a difficult wound. Nothing to be afraid of. I named mine Mr. Sucky. :heehee:
 
Yes, I used a wound vac Oct and early Nov 2016. I probably had it on about about 5 wks or so. It's a interesting process, but not painful at all.
I had a lot of numbness from the surgery yet, so there was cleansing and debridement of the wound, then packing with the special foam used with vac. I had no drainage to mine, so my collection canister never had anything in it. But since the company send me a full box of the canisters I did have it changed out once.
Usually you go 3x's a wk for dressing changes at a hospital, clinic, wound care office. They remove the packing and measure the wound and make note of how much of a change from one visit to the next.
The wound vac stays on, other than to shower, when you do shower you will be asked to cover your wound, a good covering is press and seal wrap. ( works better than saran wrap that I had used prior to help keep the wound dry.)
The vac has a battery pack that will run a good 8+ hrs, and then in the evening while relaxing or bed time you can plug it in and allow it to recharge, mine had a little purse like bag I wore that held the unit, the tubing from the wound ran up my leg and out the top of my pants. ( I bought some stretch type pants with extra room in the legs, pretty in expensive at Walmart and comfortable.)
These people that work with these units are wonderful and know there stuff, as it's important to get it packed and get a good seal over the wound, they will show you how to deal with a leak if you get on your wound with the vac. I had to give mine up a couple weeks prior to being completely closed and use a different method as I got like a road rash under the draping for the wound vac, that itch, stung and was sore on the good skin around the wound. But these folks have lots of great ways to heal a wound, they just used a different method those last couple weeks. If given the chance to use a wound vac, I would recommend going that route the biggest down fall is going in for dressing changes. ( the whole process would have been easier for me had I not started back to work full time and was still dealing with energy drain big time.) If you can think of anything else you would like to know just ask, I kind of rattled on here for you. Take care. zzevi
 
@zzevi Thanks for your information. I don't know if my tiny hole will be using one but I had done some internet and you tube video checking and what you describe is what I saw there. I guess for me, I'm trying to know up front what to ask about and then what to expect. My little hole is still leaking yellowish fluid right now but in terms of volume, I don't have a good perspective. We all know a drop of blood on a piece of gauze seems like a lot. I greatly appreciate you sharing your experience with me. The pt said it works great and does wonders, that seems like a dream come true for me. I will know more after my 130 appt tomorrow. Thanks so much.
 
@SusieShoes you made me laugh thinking that you named yours. Right now what I feel like I'm going through feels a little 'sucky'. It does look like something that might be a possibility for me. At this point, covering it and keeping it dry seems like a mom putting a bandaid on our kids ' booboo' instead of 'treatment' to heal. Thank you for your information.:SUNsmile:
 
Yes, we all want to know what you find out. We're family on here!
 
If the wound doctor decides you should try a wound vac, ask about if you can have a visiting nurse check up on you at home instead of going to the clinic three times a week. I was able to arrange this for my wound care. The clinic ordered the supplies delivered to my house and everything. It went very smoothly. And though I started out disliking Mr. Sucky a lot, I ended up his biggest fan.
 
Good thinking @SusieShoes ! Ginger, let them know a visiting nurse for as many sessions as possible would be good. They also may want you to stop PT just while you're wearing the vac.
 
@SusieShoes @KarriB I would most definitely WANT to have our county nurses office come in and take care of this for me. Thanks for that tip. I am not doing any actual pt, but today I went to the facility over the noon hour since they let senior citizens come in and pay $1 per day and use the equipment for ourselves. It had been nearly 6 weeks since I had been there and missed my other friends who go to keep active as well as the pt. I had promised the fella that I would keep coming on my own and try to keep my right leg 'limber' until I got surgery for it by using the bike and the nu-step machine. I needed to give it a test I guess more than anything since today was free from dr appts for either me or my mom. It was good to see my exercise buddies and I got to see the gal I had for pt and left a note for my fella pt. They were both very good to me and I appreciate their guidance and friendship in the process to get healthy. That's where a small town makes life a little better sometimes. Appreciate all of you!! You all make those tough spots in our recovery so much easier, knowing there is a tkr pal at my fingertips. Off to rest up for my next page in this process tomorrow. Sleep well dear friends.
 
Ginger, I've just caught up with your latest problems and am so glad you have an appointment tomorrow with a wound specialist. This is something that needs attention to ensure any problems are addressed quickly. I'll be looking forward to hearing how your appointment went.
 
Also, make sure the clinic knows the time line on your antibiotics, that you were on Keflex, then the seroma surgery with cultures taken, more Keflex and now doxycycline. Try not to leave anything out. :yes:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom