TKR Right TKR 6/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me loving someone and being married to an individual doesn't include a tally list of who did what for whom. You take care of people because you love them. Also seems that you've put up with it long enough. Cut him loose.
 
@Slainte, I used your description of your day as a model for my own yesterday when I went back to work. I actually set alarms on my phone to give me a schedule for caretaking myself and to keep my focus on the priorities. "Now it is time to drop everything else and . . ."
I also set boundaries at work. I've found that some of the people I serve will take up everything I have to give and ask for more--not all of them, thank goodness, but some. And a boundary is not a boundary if we are not willing to defend it. So when asked to do something that would have kept me working late, I simply said I would be leaving at four, so I couldn't do that.

I also spent half the day sitting in an office chair before I retreated to my little mini-couch, and elevated and iced. I plan on changing the way that I work so that I will only be in my chair for meetings for now. I left my cryo-cuff at work, as I'm not icing as much anymore. I found that a 52 oz plastic cup fits inside it, so I filled that with water, froze it, and used it to chill the cryo-cuff. At the end of the work day, I put it in the freezer to re-use. That makes it easier, not having to lug that back and forth, and not having to buy ice. Inch by inch, row by row.

I have an appointment with a doctor to do the ultrasound diagnosis. Communicating with the nurse to set up the appointment was frustrating; she kept cutting me off as I would ask a question, and repeat the same information louder. She used some terms that were not clear if they were interchangeable or not, and others that sounded like they should be, but were not. I reminded myself that these things sometimes take time, that I would advocate for myself as best I could, and I found my patience. But in any case, I have an appointment on Thursday for that, and an appointment today after work for a therapeutic massage, and one tomorrow for PT and one next week for a hearing test, and then my surgeon's visit on the 27th, and then things should settle down.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@snowleopard - wishing you the best on your remaining appointments. The message tomorrow should be nice for you!! You're doing great!! Then light is getting brighter at the end of the tunnel!! :yes!:
 
I keep my cryocuff at work too, and have three frozen water bottles in our office freezer ready for duty.

So how did you feel at the end of the day? I remember my first day back I closed my door, propped my legs up, and closed my eyes for 15 minutes. That and a cup of tea got me through the rest of the day. Now into my third week back and am back to almost normal. Had to work late last night and did not get home until around 7:30pm. I have inadvertently spoiled my husband (again) and he was not happy with our less-than-gourmet dinner last night. I think the cook is going back on strike. Sheesh.
 
I just have to say, you are a fantastic group of women. I feel as though i know all of you! So kind.
 
@Slainte - It's still amazing to me that you're over 2 weeks back to work. My surgery was 4 days after yours and there is no way I can see myself back at work yet. You a superwoman!!:yes!:

Nicely done! :yes:

When working, I often get home late as well. My husband gave up on relying on me for dinner and is actually a pretty good cook himself. Maybe you should buy some online cooking classes for him.. lol! :rotfl:
 
@Braunzie, does he deliver?

@Slainte, after work yesterday my leg was very sore, so I decided that instead of sitting in my desk chair for half the day and then moving to my couch, icing, and elevating for the rest of the day, I would only sit in my desk chair when I was meeting with people in my office. Which I did. All.day.long. I filled my cryocuff at the beginning of the day, and it sat there by itself, melting mournfully. Tomorrow I will do better!

My massage was a bit of a disappointment, as she doesn't do deep, re-sculpting massage like the lady I had seen who was booked until October(!) But I'll give it a wait-and-see. It does feel like I have a little better ROM.

Came home after that, fed cat, had two hot links and ketchup (a vegetable) for dinner, took a shower, brushed me teeth, and fell asleep. I woke up in time to floss before midnight, so it still counts.

Going back to sleep now, I hope.

Hello, Junior Member @janetg. We are a group of reprobates known for running our conversational wheels off the road and into the deep grass before we are gently led back on the path of discussing our recoveries, just to give you fair warning. If you feel at home amongst us, that may speak a little questionably of your character, but hail fellow well met! Someone throw another spud in the soup and slide over to make room.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw raffs post about our NHS and Private systems over here in the UK, I'm one of the fortunate few who has been referred, seen and operated on within 6 weeks on the NHS in a private hospital (They have a contract with our National Health System). In fact, my OS asked when I'd like surgery done when l saw him. I know I'm fortunate as many other people referred on the NHS end up waiting a few months before they have a consultation and then go on a waiting list in one of the NHS hospitals, in quite a few cases, their ops get cancelled just before surgery or on the actual day (I've know quite a few people that this has happened to). It may not be ideal, but when it is free to a point - although those that work and have worked, do pay via National Insurance Contributions.
 
So, according to my calculations, you are coming up on 11 weeks post-op. You haven't said much about your knee recently. Can we have an update please? Thank you kindly.
 
@Braunzie, I am . . . ahem . . . happy for you. If his delivery area is limited, that would be the place for it. :heehee:

@snowleopard - He delivers, but his delivery area is quite limited. It extends only to our bedroom.. :rotfl:

Had the ultra-sound follow-up to the mammogram today. First saw a very nice lady doctor, who looked at me through her machine, then decided to send me down the hall to another practice that had a fancier ultrasound and a radiographer, and then she followed me down there, and they were all looking at my breast on this machine and talking about ducks. And I wondered if they were looking at a duck-shaped mass in my breast. And then I realized that it's a good thing I have a hearing test scheduled next.

So they collectively gave me a clean bill of health, and then I dressed and was making my escape with the good news, and they met me in the hallway and turned me around and sent me back for another looky-see. And I assumed different positions and the radiologist did his thing, and then sent me down to the other doctor's waiting room to wait there until he and the doctor could talk to me. Oh-oh. So I did. And the waiting room had a little couch and dim lights, and I did what any bonesmartie would do under the circumstances.
So after I woke up from my nap, I realized that she might not realize I was there, and I checked it out, and sure enough, they didn't, and the doctor was busy, so they said they'd call me. And I'm going to take that as non-urgent news.
And I'm also not going to go ten years between mammograms next time. I'm sold.

Saw a PT yesterday. I've lost ROM by her measurements, and I talked to her about my feelings about pain and PT. I felt as if she heard what I said.

Okay, home again, and dinner once again is hot links and potato chips and ketchup. Yuck. @Raffs, a more detailed report shall follow. Maybe this weekend. I am pretty wiped out, nap or no.
 
@snowleopard - I'll look forward to your "more detailed report" too.. :) I think you're right. I'm sure if the news were "urgent" they would have made sure it was addressed.. at the same time, sorry the "loose ends" were not wrapped up.. Hope you get good rest this weekend. :friends:
 
You are a bunch of funny ladies!!!! And it's good for moral. We need this going through TKR. Or at least
I need it. Best of luck to all of you.

:rotfl:
 
Agree with @Braunzie that if it were urgent they would have done further tests (some kind of biopsy) and certainly wouldn't have let you leave. Have a good, restful weekend and looking forward to your knee update when times permits.
 
Yep. I was away on work and came back to find a message on my machine from the mammogram folks asking me to call them back. I was frantic. When I finally reached them, the assured me if it was anything serious, they wouldn't have left a message on my machine.

The VA always has us hang around until our mammograms have been read by a radiologist, then if they aren't sure about anything, they do a retake. I need one about 50% of the time. I've needed the ultrasound a time or two. I'm just dense.

Yeah. Lots of people might agree with that assessment. ;)

Ducks? I hope the hearing test comes out okay. (Took me awhile to catch the joke.)
 
I just got the joke about the ducks, very funny!!!! Every time I go for a mammogram I go through the same thing but sometimes they have to take the liquid out but it really does not hurt. In fact, it happened a mounth after TKR.
 
So I got a call back from the doc, nice of her since her office is closed on Friday. She said there was a "complexity", a "very little area" that she just wants to get another look at. She used the word "worrisome" at one point, but said that it was less than a centimeter, and that was good. So I had the option of another look-see now or wait six months. I'm a get-'er-done kind of person, and she agreed that it's better to just know. So, next week we should know.
 
I agree with "get-er-done"... Eliminate any worry and have it done and over with!! In the meantime, hope you can enjoy your weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
I certainly hope they are being overly cautious, snowleopard.

Every time I see your screen name I'm reminded of the Peter Matthiessen book, The Snow Leopard. I've read your whole thread, even though I haven't posted on it before. You are certainly spending this summer doing some serious TCOB (Taking Care of Business). I hope you get good news in the divorce court and at the doctor's office next week.
 
Hello, and thank you all for the support. It really means a lot to me. I'm already sorting out the people in my life from the I-can-talk-to-you-about-this ones to the rest. And it's surprising to see who falls into which category. For example, I have no intention of talking to either one of my children about this. One's newly enlisted and in a
very intense training program; the other is newly graduated and living in a new city, and exploring the world of work. She struggles with anxiety; starts to get nervous if she goes too long without hearing from me. Neither one of them need to have this concern on their minds.

My STBX-husband is also one that I find I have no desire to share this with. But the PT who told me that his wife died of breast cancer, the one who served as my wake-up call to get a mammogram? I find myself wanting to talk to him about it. I will not, because I think that would be unfair to him, but it's just intriguing to me to see to whom I wish to turn.


Okay, @Raffs, the promised knee update. You're a good counter--I'd lost track and thought I was around 9 or 10 weeks out, but you're right. I'm at 11 weeks, and feel like overall, I'm getting stronger. I am not, however, regaining ROM at an admirable rate. The `tight band' feels a little smaller, a little looser, but overall I'm not gaining on this very quickly. Yesterday we had a day-long meeting at work, and I had to get up and walk a few times during the meeting, and was very drained by the end of the day, but I made it. I'll be going in for awhile today (Saturday) to get some work done just to make some headway.

PT measured me at a stunning 7 degrees of extension and 67 flexion, so either I was having a bad day, I've lost a fair measure of ROM. The exercises she gave me are not painful, and they seem to be helping. I am hoping to find a massage therapist who can help me loosen up a bit.

@SarahJane, my initial exposure to snow leopards was a film of young adults (probably siblings) playing together in the snow, and I was entranced. I consider them to be improbable and joyous survivors, and that is the quality in them I would like to emulate. I have been TCOBing this summer, now that you mention it. It's seemed like one of those `no way out but through' times of life, and until the duck (as good a name as any) was spotted (or not) in my breast tissue, everything seemed to be slogging apace.

I spoke to a woman recently who is in her forties, told me she was bone-on-bone in both knees and needed surgery. I asked if she wanted a recommendation, and she said sure. I said, "Don't wait. You've got youth and health on your side, you have a support system, you have insurance. Get it over with so you can start recuperating and get your life back." And she said she didn't want to miss out on a summer (the optimum time to do that here). Well, none of us do. She also had a mother that went through one TKR, and needs another, but has had a lot of pain and advised her not to do it, so she has some powerful negative reinforcements there. I told her about the fears I'd had before I had the surgery, and that they didn't materialize for me, and explained that I wish I had someone who had been through it to talk to before the surgery.

I put myself through these things as an investment in my future. Last night I watched "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World", a black comedy about the last weeks before a meteorite was due to bulls-eye planet earth. There was a brief glimpse in one scene of a woman in late pregnancy who was in a bar, presumably drinking. Just one of those jolting images that make you stop and think. In one of the final scenes, a newscaster who has been a constant throughout gives his final broadcast, in which he tells the audience that there was an error in calculation and the meteor is due 14 hours earlier than expected. And then he reminds people that it's time for the daylight savings adjustment. "Remember, spring forward."

That’s a pretty good parallel for what waiting on the next test results feels like. I’ve ground my way through this medical summer because I believe there will be other summers. Like the pregnant lady who eats well, rests, takes her prenatals, and has regular checkups, I’m working towards a hopeful future. @Tina48 and @PolarBear60, hearing that you both went through similar “let’s take another look” events is reassuring. I'm sure you can identify with my feeling that until I hear a duck-free diagnosis, I’ll have that “Incoming!” option on my list of possibilities.

I’ve been reading a NYT feature on “The Faces of Breast Cancer”, and it’s been a shake-up of my world view to read this. There are a variety of experiences described, right down to those who found out that the meteor is due to hit 14 hours earlier, with a reminder to turn their clocks forward an hour.

The doctor told me, “Now remember, no fretting allowed!” and I told her that I would fret when she told me there was something to fret about, and not before. But a healthy consideration of others’ consideration of this? "It concentrates the mind wonderfully."

And @Braunzie, I plan on enjoying my weekend, thank you. And this conversation with all of you? Part of the fun.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom