TKR Right TKR 6/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a blessing! So happy for your good news.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
So very happy that you got good news. Here's hoping things continue to go well with a cnntinued streak of excellent and reassuring medical reports.
 
Very glad that your test results are negative, as I always say and hope : one thing at the time. Th tkr was enough for this summer, plus last week I was back in hospital fot MUA. At one point enough is enough!!! Take care
 
Hello, all! I didn't mean to tumble off the turnip truck, but there I went.

Whew! In bed w/feet up, floss dangling, and the day behind me. Speaking of floss, I've been pushing myself to improve my flossing and oral hydro-pik habits, and I'm getting pretty solid with that. It's been something I have neglected in the past, along with my health care in general. I've upped the frequency of my dental cleanings to try not to get too far behind the curve, and each time I think I'll get better about self-care once they're clean. And then I don't. But this time I've been after it like crazy, because the antibiotics that go along with the tooth cleaning do not agree with me. I'm glad I had the colonoscopy and the cleaning back to back, so it was just one mega-dose of antibiotics over a couple of days. I was proactive about taking probiotics (ha!) both orally and as a suppository, and this time I got some yeasty-beasties, but not like the last time. So if increased self care keeps the dental hygienist and the antibiotics away a little longer, pass the floss. I programmed an alarm into my phone--I think I've mentioned that--to remind me. And hokey as it may sound, it works for me.


Report from the Big City--my eye surgeon was happy with my progress, my knee surgeon not so happy as am I. I took a crutch along, and he was surprised to see me still using it. Told me to get my leg back into PT pronto or face an MUS next month. While I haven't yet scheduled PT, I am finally at the point where I can shoehorn it into my life. Meanwhile, I've gained both extension and flexion, and have, per instruction, ditched the crutch. (Funny thing is, I mentioned it casually to the receptionist where I work, and next time she saw me, she said, "Weren't you supposed to get rid of that thing?" I told her no, it was the other crutch, the right one, and this was the left one. But I ditched it.) And while I'm still lurching a bit, I'm getting better at this.

Have been slammed at work. Going in early, staying into the evening and weekends, and finally, today, can say that I am caught up. Or as caught up as I will be until other people do what they need to do.

Also have a separation agreement in place. My not-quite-X-but-not-quite-husband wanted to stop the divorce--or so he said. So I proposed the alternative of a separation agreement, and he went along with that--his alternative was worse, I guess. And I've been trying to wrap my head around how I go from being me to being part of a we, how I go about giving him a chance. We just went in front of a judge Wednesday and did a different (this was poignant) set of `I do's. And there he was on the phone this morning yelling and being controlling and back to his old bag of tricks. Well, at least I know. I had a little bit of doubt and maybe even a little bit of hope left, and it sucked me in. I have a settlement I can live with--left a lot on the table thinking that would be worth it if it meant that he would be civil and that we could get along for the kids' sake, and who knows?--maybe even reconciliation would work. I'm okay, and I will be okay. Just a little chagrined and a little sad. And tired.

On an upbeat note, I got my chin zapped yesterday, second go-round. One of the unjoys of the aging process is finding little sprouts where nothing's supposed to sprout. Bothered me for a long time, but about a month ago I got inspired to actually do something about it. First time was pretty worried about what it would entail, but the after-affect of having a smooth chin was so pleasant that I looked forward to the treatment this time. No regrets. Wish I'd done it years ago.

Snowed here this morning, cold enough that it tried to stick around and turn to slush. Seemed fitting. Cat doesn't seem pleased with the turn in the weather, but she's out making the rounds. Have a slow fire burning in the wood stove, and it's got the house up to comfortable. Sleeping in tomorrow, playing some music, keeping the home fire burning. My flute has been such a comfort in recent weeks.

I look forward to catching up with your recoveries. Find myself shaking my head in wonderment and thinkin of the knee replacements, "Did we really go through that?" It seems a world ago . . .
 
Aleady snowing!!!! Brrrr!!!! Here it's light rain for the moment and 61F. Wow you really taking care of yourself and good for you. It's your time and you see that you can do all by yourself and you don't need this soon to be ex in your life. As for TKR, I still take a cane with me when I know that my knee is to swollen and hurt. I feel more confident. It still hurts a lot at the end of the day, and my extension is-8 but Rom 117. I see my OS at the end of the month and hope that all will be ok. Patience is not one of my vertue and it was sollicated a lot in the last months.
 
I need to make a plan to go see snow sometime. Was in Washington DC with my family in 2012 and had the joy of being with my then 19 year old daughter the first time she saw snow flurries. We were all ridiculously excited.

Sad for you about the upheaval of the marriage cart. That cannot be easy.

Was so happy to see your post this morning! Thought about you last night and was wondering how you are. Snuggle in and enjoy your cat, your fire, and your music. Sounds nice.
 
It doesn't sound like the ex but not quite ex is worth the effort. Only you can decide, but I think ditching once and for all may be the best thing for you. Just my opinion as an outsider with only your side of the story at my disposal.

I realized a few years ago that I did not have good genes for teeth, so I began a flossing campaign in earnest. This may sound strange, too, but like your alarm, it works for me. I keep a bag of Plackers in my desk drawer and have a daily reminder on my Things program (it's a to do app). When evening rolls around and I'm sitting at the computer checking my to do list, I reach into the drawer, pull out a placker, use it, toss it in the trash by my desk, and check off the floss reminder. It does help.

So glad you checked in snowleopard. I was getting concerned about you but figured you were slammed at work.
 
Good to hear from you, @snowleopard! You've had one BUSY summer!
Curious to hear where you are falling short of your OS' expectations. Sounds like your extension and flexion are good.... You've been going everywhere, so maybe I'm assuming, but it sounds like you can get around with your knee. Was it just the use of a single crutch? Are you able to get around the house without it and just take it with you in public? How is your pain level / stiffness with your knee?

Hmmmm.. Didn't know you could get those unwanted "spouts" zapped.. I'll have to look into that. I've been using a battery operated tweezers - which I thought was pretty effective, even though the darn things grow back WAY to fast.. Just ONE of the joys of getting old.. :sad:.... er... "mature".. :heehee:

Sorry to hear of the spousal challenge.. :console2: It's always sad when things don't work out. My heart goes out to you. But you are a strong lady. You will get through it.

The weather has started "turning" here ... but hopefully snow is not in the near future.. I'm a Southern California girl who transplanted here to Washington over 20 years ago for work. Snow is absolutely beautiful - used to have a lot of fun skiing it it - but to live in it all the time and have to deal with driving and OTHER drivers.. not exactly my favorite thing.. - except when I'm on the inside looking out in front of a wood-burnign fireplace!! (OK, I'm a "snow woos".. ) :rotfl: On the other hand, I had the pleasure of spending almost 3 weeks in Alaska on vacation one year. It is stupendously gorgeous! I loved every minute there.

Sounds like you have a wonderfully relaxing weekend. Enjoy!! You deserve it! :yes:
 
Been thinking of you, and I am so glad to read your update. On the whole, the good news outweighs the bad, I think. I hope your ex isn't taking advantage of you financially with the settlement vs. divorce. I assume you can petition for divorce at a later date. I'm not sure what Alaskan tax laws are like. You might want to discuss the terms of your settlement agreement with your tax adviser just to make sure you won't be surprised come April.

Good news -- the eyes have it! I hope your surgeon wasn't serious about a MUA; don't you have adequate flexion and extension? I thought so! And you'd even improved your flexion and extension since your last visit. What does he want? 150/-8. You're improving. That's good enough in my book. One of my fears about snow and ice is slipping and going BOOM, or just stressing my knee by skidding or loosing my footing ... did your OS have any words of wisdom and caution about navigating an Alaska winter? If not, definitely ask your PT.

Are you doing electrolysis or laser treatments? @Braunzie, I did a series of electrolysis treatments, which were wonderful. And then, some years later, new ones started up again. Un Joy. I started tweezing them, but once I had my surgery date set I went back to electrolysis. I've been told that tweezing actually makes them wider and stronger; don't know if there's any truth to that.

Hope your work stays calm so you have plenty of time for PT and flute-playing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom