Guest viewing is limited

THR Right THR November 19, 2025

Hello and Happy Wednesday,
The issue of a seroma or hematoma can resolve on it's own as the body reabsorbs the fluid over a period of weeks, or even months. Hopefully if you have either, it will resolve naturally.
I wish you the best with your OS appointment tomorrow, Lilibet, please let us know how it goes. I hope you have an extra set of ears at your appointment and a list of questions. It's so easy to feel rushed in the small amount of time we're given and with a lot of questions, easy to forget all that was shared.
I guess I should speak for myself, lol :wink:
Good luck!
@Lilibet80
 
Thanks for this info, Jamie. I didn’t realize or think of the risk of infection in connection with draining. That would no doubt be a bigger problem than pain.

Would a nerve block injection for pain relief also create an infection possibility? That was another option my PCP mentioned when he ordered the CAT Scan.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, Layla. I guess I should be prepared for my OS to say it would be best to let the hematoma or seroma resolve naturally. I’ll probably start crying as I SO want an instant fix for my pain!

I have my list of questions/info and my husband will be there with a copy so he can make sure I cover everything. We’ve always done important appointments this way, both mine and his. Otherwise we’d forget to ask things and forget the answers! So you’re not the only one.

Another possibly silly thing we do is try to dress nicely. We feel as if the doctor might unconsciously take us more seriously if we look moderately “professional” rather than casual. Probably more our hopeful imagination than reality, but it makes us feel better.
:)
 
Any type of treatment that involves breaking the skin could be an infection risk. It’s something you need to discuss with your surgeon so you can weigh the risk versus benefits.

I’m glad you’ll have someone with you at your appointment. That really helps. And I love your tip about dressing well. You can bet that makes a difference with any professional person. I don’t think it’s your imagination at all. This is just human nature.
 
Another possibly silly thing we do is try to dress nicely. We feel as if the doctor might unconsciously take us more seriously if we look moderately “professional” rather than casual.
Your thoughts do not sound silly to me. While it shouldn't matter, I think many of us will admit that appearance does play a part in our first impressions of people and physicians are no different. We hope to be taken more seriously if we're not in sweat suits, cut offs, ill fitting clothes or outfits we might schlepp around in while in the privacy of our homes. Fingers crossed it all goes very well for you today, Lilibet. :thumb:
 
Here’s my report from my appointment with my surgeon this afternoon.

I had a good visit with Dr H. His first words were “I hear you’re having a hard time,” which was nice. He said the CT Scan showed that there was nothing “structurally” wrong that would be causing pain. He’s ordered an oral steroid and a new pain med called Journavx that is for short term acute pain like post surgical pain. He gave me a sample that covers 48 hours. I hope my little pharmacy can get it fast if they have to order it. I doubt my insurance will cover it…ugh. He also thinks PT could help now, so he’s ordered home health PT since it’s hard for me to get out and about.

He didn’t think the hematoma/seroma was large enough to cause a problem and he didn’t want to drain it due to infection risk from needle as Jamie had mentioned. He also didn’t want to do a nerve block injection due to infection risk.

I can stop the oxycodone, Tylenol and ibuprofen. I’m to come back in a month, Feb 10. My no bending more than 90 degrees restriction is done, I can use my regular walker/rollater, and I need to postpone my dental exam until April, which I figured.

He told me at the end of the appointment that this pain is common and will get better. I’m glad he didn’t tell me that until after he’d Rx’d the two prescriptions and PT. I would have felt like he was minimizing the pain. Smart doc!

I will let you know how these meds work. All for now. Nap time!
 
Sticker shock!! I called my little local pharmacy that fills almost all our prescriptions. The new pain med Journavx is not covered by my Medicare Part D insurance and costs a mere $900 for 60 pills, 2x/day ($15/pill)!!!! I was so shocked by the price that I didn’t think to ask how many pills per day before I called Walmart to price them. They gave me a price of $581 for 30 pills ($19.36/pill!!!!!). Needless to say, I’m researching a lower price offered by the company that sells them. But obviously pain has a price.
 
Sounds like everything went well at your doctor’s visit & you were satisfied with the visit. The price of those pills is ridiculous! I guess a wait and see approach on how effective this new script is the way to go before making a huge investment!
My son is an RN who does home infusions & the prices on those are astronomical!
 
Yowza that's expensive! I do hope you're able to find a better price or a comparable replacement soon, Lillibet.

It's nice to read that your visit went so well and hopefully you feel reassured that your OS considers the pain you're struggling with currently as common, even though that feels like cold comfort. With any luck you're able to get meds on board soon :fingersx: bringing more relief, and you have success with the PT sessions. Go slow and easy and please keep us posted. A pleasant weekend to you! :wave:
@Lilibet80
 
This kind of pricing is common with brand new medications that are just approved. And, unfortunately, there are no generic versions available yet.

Have you checked the Journavx website? It appears there is a patient support program that reduces the price to "$30 a fill" (not sure how many are in a fill) for "eligible patients."

You should check to see if you are eligible for the program. Let us know what you learn.

@Lilibet80
 
Thanks everyone for your encouragement! Yes @benne68, I have printed the “card” and instructions for the lower price and will start calling pharmacies to see if I’m eligible (I’m pretty sure I am) and if they honor it. Our regular pharmacy doesn’t honor any coupons, so I expect to strike out there. That leaves CVS and an independent pharmacy in our town. Otherwise I will have to go further afield to pharmacies 12-15 miles away, and rely on a friend to pick it up as my husband has physical issues that make it unsafe for him to drive very far. Our regular pharmacy delivers which is why we stick with them even though they’re 5 miles away and not a “preferred provider” on our Part D. But we’ll do what we have to do.

So far, after 2 doses 12 hours apart I don’t notice a difference, but it may need the full 48 hours for my uncooperative body.
:)
The steroid will be delivered this afternoon. I wonder if I should wait to start taking it until my 48 hour trial of Journavx is over tomorrow morning so that I can tell whether the Journavx is helping, and not mix in the steroid. If the Journavx wasn’t potentially so expensive, it wouldn’t occur to me to wait. Maybe I’m over-thinking it. Reading about the Journavx, I find that it reduces the effectiveness of steroids FWIW. I shouldn’t do research LOL!
 
Last edited:
2 doses 12 hours apart I don’t notice a difference, but it may need the full 48 hours
You're right. I takes time for many medications to build up to a therapeutic level in our bloodstream. That's why it is important to maintain a regular schedule with doses, so you don't dip below the threshold.

Good luck with your calling. Please let us know!
 
I think you should give the trial drug a chance before starting the steroids. Otherwise you won’t know what’s working and what’s not.

You might want to price the discount offered by Single Care on Journavx.
 
Last edited:
So far, checking Good Rx and Singlecare on line, their “discount” price is more than the $900 quoted by my regular pharmacy. I’m still waiting to hear back from CVS and a small local pharmacy. I spoke with Walmart and their regular price is $1162, but he couldn’t tell me how much lower it would be with the Journavx Savings Card. I’m not sure what “as low as $30” means in reality. So I’m hesitant to transfer the prescription to Walmart and end up paying more than $900.

My pharmacy won’t order it unless my husband brings our visa and pays for it in person. So what we’re thinking is that he will go there tomorrow with the info from Journavx, see if they will do it, and if they are reluctant, offer to pay the $900 to get it ordered and have it refunded if Journavx comes through. We are VERY good customers LOL!
:)

I will wait to start the prednisone probably on Sunday, since it will take a few days to get the Journavx Rx from any source. My sample ends tomorrow morning at 5 a.m.
 
I’m sorry this is so difficult for you, but I think you’re doing the right thing to keep searching for a better price.
 
I am really sorry you're having to deal with this, Lilibet. It shouldn't be this hard or this expensive to take care of ourselves and feel better. I hope today is a good day for you. :console2:
@Lilibet80
 
I finished the Journavx sample this morning at 5:00 a.m. and started the six day oral steroid later in the morning. If there is an improvement from Journavx, it’s so subtle that I ask myself if it’s my imagination. I don’t think I’ve used my ice packs quite as much. Is that wishful thinking? :-)

I will have to wait until at least Tuesday to start the month-long Journavx Rx, as my pharmacy will have to order it. My husband wasn’t able to go there today before they closed at 1:30, and I doubt it could be ordered today anyway. We’re both so tired. I want to call Journavx on Monday and see if I can find out what the discount will be. I found out that our local CVS doesn’t carry it. We need a fairly nearby pharmacy, so if that means we have to pay $900…oh well. Here’s hoping the discount works out.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!
 
Good news! Our pharmacy (that doesn’t normally accept coupons like Good Rx) was willing to use the card from Journavx and bill the company after my Part D denied it, which it did. So we will only pay $30 for a month’s supply and the pharmacy will get the difference, which in this case is $862. It ended up being a bit less than the original quote of $900, and less than Walmart would have charged ($1162). Bottom line, if you need Journavx, use their help if you qualify.

They ordered it without our paying the total ahead of time as we had been told we’d have to last week by one of the ladies on the phone. It should be ready tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon. Of course, my husband had to take the paperwork from Journavx to the pharmacy, and will have to go pick the Rx up (10 miles round trip) but that’s OK.

As I’ve said, things have a way of working out. But the stress was a lot and we’re both exhausted. However, we “earned” $862 in the process, so not bad for a morning’s work.
:)
 
I feel as if the pain is back to normal today, after a couple of days of using fewer ice packs. I did have to get dressed and go out this afternoon, which is painful, so it could be from that. It will be interesting to see what the Journavx and a couple of days of my remaining steroid do.

Thank you all so much for being there with me. It truly means a lot not to deal with this alone!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom