Guest viewing is limited

THR Right THR November 19, 2025

This is wonderful news and I sure hope the new medication helps you. It does prove what we tell people…don’t give up and keep working to get what you want in terms of treatment. You’ve done a great job, @Lilibet80, and you deserve a few days of rest to recover from the work and stress.
 
Great news on the meds, Lilibet!
Your research and persistence paid off. I'm happy for you and hope you and hubs have a relaxing and peaceful rest of the week! :thumb:
@Lilibet80
 
As I suspected, my surgeon did not know how much Journavx costs. I talked to his MA today about something else and told her. She was shocked and said she’d tell him. I told her about how to get the discount. That’s something I appreciate about my PCP. He always checks the cost of a new Rx he’s prescribing, just to give me a ballpark figure. Of course, he doesn’t know what my Part D covers, but at least I have an idea if it’s spendy.
 
Hello Lilibet,
It is two months to date since your surgery. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're feeling better and I wish you a good week. :) Let us know how the new medication is working for you when you have time.
@Lilibet80
 
Thanks Layla! I wish I could say the Journavx is working, but after a week things are the same, unfortunately. I’ll keep taking it and keep hoping. I’ve had a good week though, with several friends stopping by, which is fun and distracting. I finally feel up to visitors, so that’s an improvement…especially if they bring brownies! :D
 
several friends stopping by, which is fun and distracting. I finally feel up to visitors, so that’s an improvement…especially if they bring brownies!
Those are definitely the kind of visitors we like!

So glad you are noticing improvement. Slow but steady we go.
 
I'll hope right along with you, Lilibet. :thumb:

Friends are sweet and a worthwhile distraction. Especially those that bring treats and give hugs.
Never met a Brownie I didn't like and calories don't count in early recovery. :wink: Enjoy!
@Lilibet80
 
Here’s the latest. My surgeon returned me to my PCP as of yesterday to deal with the pain. This makes sense and I was glad.

So my wonderful PCP got me in for a telehealth appointment today at 5:30. He’s referring me to a pain specialist of course. But he also ordered a nerve conduction study to see if the pain is coming from the hip or my terrible back. He’s ordered another Medrol dose pack and said to also take the Percocet (oxycodone with up to 3000 acetaminophen/day.) I could see his wheels turning trying to figure out what to do with me. It’s a challenge because I can’t take ibuprofen due to congestive heart failure.

He’s said to give the PT ordered by my surgeon 2-3 sessions to see if it increases the pain, and back off for now if it does. I really need it for mobility, but I can’t handle more pain.

We talked about a nerve block in case the heterotopic ossification seen on the CT scan is causing the pain. But I had researched and it’s not recommended to get shots in any joint that has been replaced, for quite awhile after surgery. Not only is there risk of infection, but the steroid can impair the healing process. He said the nerve block he was thinking of was more in the groin than in the hip, but to talk to the pain specialist.

So that’s what’s going on. We’ll see how long it takes to get these appointments. Doctors are really booked up around here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing an update, Lillibet. I am sorry you continue to struggle with pain. I hope the nerve conduction test reveals answers and the pain specialist is able to help you. Please keep us posted.
@Lilibet80
 
I had the nerve conduction study today. Had to lie on my back which was painful…not a good position for my hip. But I survived. Now I’m done in. ‍

He said there is a pinched nerve at L2 that could be causing the pain down my leg. But he feels I should have an MRI. Oh goody. He said that if the back isn’t the problem I should get a second opinion from another hip surgeon at the other practice in town.

He understood my point that I didn’t see how it could be the back causing the pain this time since the exact same pain I had before the other hip replacement was fixed by the hip surgery. This pain started after the hip surgery.

Next week I see the pain specialist. To be continued.
 
It's not easy living with pain, especially when the cause remains undiagnosed. I hope you will get some solid answers soon. Alongside the medication, have you tried anything like a TENS machine for temporary relief? I have one that was very helpful prior to surgery when I experienced a lot of leg pain.
 
It's not easy living with pain, especially when the cause remains undiagnosed. I hope you will get some solid answers soon. Alongside the medication, have you tried anything like a TENS machine for temporary relief? I have one that was very helpful prior to surgery when I experienced a lot of leg pain.
Thanks @Deni444. I haven’t tried a TENS machine, but I’m aware of them and will look into it further. I appreciate the suggestion.
:)
 
I found the TENS to only be effective whilst using it but I really welcomed the opportunity to enjoy some pain free relaxation. I used it mostly at the beginning of an evening when I'd find myself struggling to get comfortable on the sofa. Also when first getting into bed, it relaxed me. I then found I could fall off to sleep a lot easier.
 
Hello and a Happy Friday to you!
I am sorry you had to endure the pain of lying flat on your back for an extended period of time, Lilibet. I can only imagine the discomfort. Hopefully the MRI provides a clearer picture. While in some cases a TENS can help with symptoms if a pinched nerve is involved it will not fix it. Before use it is always wise to check with your OS if there is any swelling involved, you have a pacemaker or there is progressive, numbness or weakness. Hoping you find some comfort and relief as you're awaiting next appointments.
Please keep us posted, we're here for you, Lilibet. :friends:
@Lilibet80
 
I was supposed to see the pain specialist today, but about 5” of snow interfered. I rescheduled for next Wednesday. The snow was pretty though. :) [Bonesmart.org] Right THR November 19, 2025
 
Glad you stayed safe at home with that much snow. Stay warm!!
 
That's a pretty picture! I'm imagining hot chocolate and a feet up day under a cosy blanket :)
 
The snow coated tree is so pretty. I love fresh fallen snow, especially over the old dirty stuff, lol.
I am sorry you had to miss the appointment yesterday, Lilibet. I hope you find many moments of comfort over the next week until you meet with the pain specialist. Please keep us in the loop, we do care. :)
@Lilibet80
 
Back
Top Bottom