THR Riding to the other side<

@Lmflora Great that the tendonitis doesn't bother you when you ride, but stairs, hiking, getting out of a car being issues are for sure something you need to get to the bottom of soonest. Do your remember straining that tendon at some point? :fingersx: for you on that!

Thanks for sharing on your approach. Just looking at the activity levels and restrictions of others compared to my own....which is silly on my part, as we are all so different in every way! I just can't help myself!! LOL!

So far I have no regrets at all. My OA pain has been cut in half, so that is so helpful already. The surgical discomfort is nothing (after the first week!) compared to the OA pain. Who knows what second surgery will bring, along with the challenges of hubby probably being down for the count as well. He has his CT scan on Tuesday...so things will start unfolding.

@Alitm not silly at all, we all learn from each other here. We all make the comparisons, but I think we are just hoping that we’re doing what we should, and sometimes we figure we could try that, or realize that we shouldn’t this etc.

I’m not really sure what I did. It was 18 months post op. At the time I was doing some weight training, but very light weight, like embarrassingly light. I was cross country skiing, elliptical, riding my bike, generally trying to get into shape for a ski trip we were going to take In January. Later that spring it flared up in a big way and was quite problematic until I finally went in for some help late in the year. found some resolution with the PT, but it came back last spring.

Horse blanket was too small..old one was too big, I measured the old blanket and thought a smaller size would be better. I got to exchange it for a bigger size.

@Lmflora It sounds like one of those niggly injuries that are so hard to get rid of, and erupt into something major if not given the correct amount of time.... But "correct amount of time needed" is always sooo hard to figure out!

Such a nuisance about the horse blanket...but a great excuse to go and see your girl again :heehee: .

I was joking with my farrier yesterday about making me some roller shoes, to help me heal toe better!! :rotfl:

Hey, @Lmflora, hope your day is going well. I said in an earlier posting that I'd be dressed shortly, and it's almost 2:00 now--sigh, without my husband here to give me "the look" (he's at a football game with his brother) getting dressed just seems like so much work! I know I've posted about this slothful habit before but I really enjoy being in an empty quiet house, tootling around in my fuzzy pink bathrobe and slippers--it just feel so comfy. We have an event to go to this evening so I know I'll need to get dressed in the next hour or two before my husband gets home. I don't even have the excuse of soreness/tendonitis to excuse my lack of interest in donning real clothes. But, know I can do better. Hope you've been doing some icing and resting today in addition to what I suspect might house and horse chores. Take it easy!

Hello my hip sister @Barbaraj, sounds like a pretty easy going day today, gosh have fun tonight. I had a friend over to help me put my wicker deck furniture in the garage for the winter and store various flower pots. I transplanted a few things in the greenhouse. I’m currently sitting and icing. Very much ODIC today. But tomorrow we are going to take a drive out to the hole in the wall country where Butch Cassidy and-the Sundance Kid use to hide out. Middle of nowhere stuff. The weather is gorgeous and it will be very fun to get out of the house and see some beautiful country. Looking forward to that! We’ll take a lunch and the remaining dog. :unsure:

I put a deposit down on a puppy, probably get around Xmas or after first of the year.
I need to be a lot more agile before we bring the new baby home. :roseshwr:

I resolved to start eating properly. Salads are starting to sound good now. I just had no appetite for greens for a couple weeks, in fact most foods tasted yucky, except of course brownies and cheese.....I was emotional eating comfort foods, the combo of surgery and the loss of my two sweet dogs, just left me weak and without self discipline. Well, I’m turning that corner today! All will be well...good news is I can tie my shoes and put my socks on, touch my toes. So not so bad.

Well, I’m turning that corner today! All will be well...good news is I can tie my shoes and put my socks on, touch my toes. So not so bad.

I'd say, very Good!
We do what we must don't we?
Life is gonna be good...very soon!:friends:

Happy Sunday, @Lmflora--your plan today, a lovely drive with good weather and wonderful scenery, sounds like a great Sunday expedition to me. And a picnic lunch out on the road sounds fun, too. Enjoy your day!

And good luck with the turn away from the dark (but oh so tasty) side of the food chart, and onto better eating with salads featuring a prominent role. I hope you still leave some room for a brownie occasionally, a small piece perhaps but rewarding yourself with small splurges will make you happier. You've gone through so much with your hip surgery and the loss of your two dogs. You need to heal physically AND emotionally. Sure, food isn't supposed to a reward or anything, but I think small treats are motivating, just as resolving to get stronger and fully recovered from surgery will lead to the happy advent of your new puppy around Christmas or the first of the year. Nice to have a happy goal to look forward to!

Hi @Lmflora . Hope you had a lovely Sunday!

I have a barn footwear question for you! About a year ago, I could no longer wear my tall mucker boots, low Ariat work boots in the barn as they hurt my hips and back. I started wearing hiking boots and they really helped. However, with one hip done via posterior, and second hip coming up, I've been wearing slip on gardening type mules (as I'm not doing much in the barn yet) out to the barn, as I can't lace up hiking boots. Found a pair with velcro, but can only do up one side! It is getting colder and the rain will start next week. I was curious if you had issues with shoes and boots at all, and what works best for you in the barn....preferably looking for boots that don't require lacing up and are warm and waterproof!! Good luck right?! I want to be able to pull them on with my gadget "dresser" hook or just slide them on. I'm toying with going back to muckers (still have them), but they feel so heavy, just in my hand! All feedback welcome! Thanks :)

Hey @Alitm, I have been wearing “Bogs” for the last few years. They are waterproof and neoprene based, so very lite. They have some with handles to pull on, and various lengths. I got a couple pair, shorter ones and I have a pair of the taller Arctic boots, really warm. I can step into each of them with out having to bend over and get them off using the concrete edge in my garage to hook the heal. I put some support soles in them, something like spenco or other type and that seems to take care of any support issues. They wear really well, practically indestructible. Can google “Bogs footwear” Hope this helps.

@Lmflora I had a pair of bogs two years ago, and did the same thing, put support soles in them. They were lighter than the muckers. Will revisit..thank you so much for the feedback and have a great day!

I have a concrete step lip in our car port...ditto on getting boots off LOL!

Thanks for the tip about Bogs - they look great and I love the "handles" in some of them. @Alitm get yourself a boot remover. I have a cast iron one like this one. Removes even the tallest boots easily - no bending.

Attachments

• boot pull.jpg
    boot pull.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 133
@Jaycey Yes, don't the handles make a huge difference for pulling on...particularly with thick socks. My concrete step hooks the back of rubber boots quite well...but I like your casts iron boot remover! Would look great at our back door :) My hubby keeps hiding the cheap plastic boot pull that I have, as the back door always looks a mess...and everyone comes in that way...thus me using the edge of the step with the rubber boots :snork:

Good morning, @Lmflora, hope Monday is a good day for you, you're waking up feeling positive and cheerful. I am feeling tired this morning, but a combo of perhaps--just maybe--of overdoing it plus a miserably foggy morning is probably responsible. I hope your drive in the country plus a picnic lunch yesterday made for a very fun outing, and you went to bed happy last night. Nothing like doing something enjoyable during the day to relax us and send us off to bed feeling happy. It's another day here on the recovery trail, so keep tromping along! Cheers!

@Jaycey Thanks for tip about the bootbpuller. I think I have something like that in a box of my late mother’s things, time to fish it out. When I’m wearing boots and spurs, the edge works great, a little trickier with the bogs, I’ll find that puller, make it much better in the winter.

Good afternoon @Barbaraj, yesterday’s drive was great. Beautiful weather, gorgeous country, came across a species of spruce that was not documented in this county or so far south in the Big Horns, pretty much a perfect day for a botanist! Went to PT today, she did some work on my hip flexor, cupping, massage, dry needling, pretty sore, but does seem to feel better this afternoon. She is working on short term relief, working with the OS for a long term solution, we’ll see. I’ve been cleared for the elliptical, just no resistance. Weathers suppose to be beautiful all week long. glad your taking it easy. The drive was like 4 hours, I got very tired all at once about an hour from home. It was 100 miles on a backcountry byway.

@Alitm i exchanged the blanket for a larger size, I’ll go out tomorrow and try it out. It’s great they exchange it after I had it on the horse!! This one is very pretty... it’s turquoise with southwest native American trim.....there wasn’t much choice, i didn’t want black, it’s too hot for clear sunny days here. I’ll have to get a picture.

@Lmflora Nice blanket! Hope it fits! Heading to see my young horse a week from Wednesday...Can't wait to see him :). I walked out to the pasture with my neighbour today. She brought in the mini, and I brought in my big guy. My quads are tired and I'm icing up now, but it was worth it :)

Good morning, @Lmflora--hope you've recovered from your lengthy drive on Sunday. Amazing how just sitting in a vehicle for so long can really bring on the fatigue. Of course, even before hip surgery I'd get stiff and sore after long car rides. All that work at PT sounds exhausting to me, but if it's making you feel better then it sounds like the right thing for you. I'd love to do some PT eventually--found it very targeted and helpful before surgery--but I'm being a good patient (well, mostly good...) and will wait until my 6 week check up for an assessment and recommendations at that point. Have a great Tuesday!

Went to PT today, she did some work on my hip flexor, cupping, massage, dry needling, pretty sore, but does seem to feel better this afternoon. She is working on short term relief, working with the OS for a long term solution, we’ll see. I’ve been cleared for the elliptical, just no resistance.
Great that you are getting that help with your hip flexor! Exciting about the elliptical work too!
Wishing you a good day @Lmflora :SUNsmile:

Hi @Alitm, Blanket fits great. When I got there I got to catch her and lead her into the indoor riding arena, he was getting ready to work her. He had been judging a show, and has been gone for a few days. She is really starting to work good. I am intensely jealous that he is riding her and I am not...but this is really good for her. I am so excited. He is going to show her in a cutting club series of shows. Hopefully I can show her myself next spring in my division. Motivation for following the program and healing up for the long term. I’m ready for all this stuff to be over...

Last edited:
@Lmflora Great that you could see your girl go :) Super that he can get her out to the shows! Nice to get her out and about so she'll have that millage once you start showing her in the spring!

I get so jealous (but am of course thrilled at the progress) hearing from my friend about all the work and adventures he getting up to with my boy! I can't wait to see my guy go a week tomorrow! :SUNsmile:

We have to keep our eye on Spring......:yes!:

Hi @Lmflora
Just noticed your coming up on one month already on Friday.
You're doing great!
Two new hips and off she goes :)
Hope today is great and the rest of the week too!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back