THR Riding to the other side<

2. 2014 RTHR, pain level when I am not engaging the muscle is 1, pain level when I lift straight leg from lying down is 5-6, lift knee straight up 4-5, getting into car 4-5, and stairs 3-4.
Okay
3. I am currently only taking 2x 500 mg of Tylenol before I go to bed.
That's no good. You may as well not take it at all if you're only going to take it once a day. It's important, for pain such as you are experiencing, that you have a steady load of medication in your system throughout the day. So try taking 1,000mg Tylenol 4 times a day at 6hrly intervals.
6. I am very active, I live out of town, my husband is recovering from rotator cuff surgery. I go up and down stairs, I walk to the barn, clean stalls as needed, I do the cooking. I drive to town and do the shopping. Working in the garden (with some help)
Okay

7. 2014 RTHR
I had more help around the house in 2014. So i did a lot more exercises.
sitting slides with rubber band in door jam (15) 1x day
knee squeezes with ball (15) 1x day
sitting clam shells with rubber band (15) 1x day
stationary bike 15 min, high seat low resistance 1x day
quad and buttock squeezes (15 each) 1x day
I walked a lot, approximately a mile or more several times a week.

2018 LTHR
I did not have as much help this time, so I did/do fewer exercises, I walk more, and I try to stretch more.
at the end of two weeks post op I was doing the following:
knee squeezes with ball (15) 1x day
sitting clam shells with rubber band (15) 1x day
stationary bike 10 min, high seat low resistance 1x day
quad and buttock squeezes (15 each) 1x day
At almost 6 weeks If I do the exercises I do the following:
knee squeezes with ball (15) 1x day
sitting clam shells with rubber band (15) 1x day
gentle squats holding something (15) 1x day
Elliptical 20-30 min 1x day
PT:
2014 RTHR
Currently I go once a week, I hop on the elliptical for 20-30 min, and then we work on the hip flexor, deep tissue massage, cupping, and dry needling
Apart from the medication, the only thing I see as a problem is that you are doing far too much and have been doing far too much for ages! Obviously you failed to spot this bit of advise which I think is key to your entire problem

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better.
They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Thank you @Josephine for your advice and time.

I will beef up the Tylenol again and see if helps the hip flexor pain. It would be a band aid until my OS comes up with a long term plan. I have picked up on that bit about not exercising. Compared to what I did the first time, I am exercising very little. My daily activity wears me out. No getting around it though, we have my husbands second rotator cuff surgery coming up in the near future.

I am an insufferable over doer...I do have a horse I intend to get back on at the end of December, I will be cleared by my OS to do so at that time. I get that your main advice is to rest and recover. I will endeavor to do so.

Thanks again
 
Hey @Lmflora I'm the same way about the barn LOL!! So appreciate the help though.
The hoping on and walking off isn't a habit we want our horses to do!!:bignono:, particularly for hippies! I got on from the ground for years, but as the horses got taller, and the research showed it wasn't great to get on from the ground because of the pull on their backs (and who knows what it was doing to my hips@), I started getting on from the fence with my really big chestnut. I started using a mounting block when my hips started to hurt, to get off on instead of jumping down. I like to teach them to siddle up to the trailer wheel hub or anything else that I can get off or on from. Anyhow, I've taught my young guy to line up either way by the mounting block, and also I taught him to come to the fence either way. I'd drape myself over his back and give him scratches, but never got on as I was so tight in the hips.

Very exciting about going to see the pups. You'll have to post a picture of yours once you decided :-)

Your trainer sounds awesome. Mine is not the same caliber but I am mostly pleased with everything he has done thus far.

I took my computer in and the short story is that I don't have a virus at all. Phew! I did get some new virus software though.

Have a great Monday!
 
Compared to what I did the first time, I am exercising very little. My daily activity wears me out. No getting around it though
Well read my post carefully and don't do "very little" - DO NONE! And if your activities are wearing you out, that's yet another reason you don't need exercises! I also suggest you assess your activities and see what you can shed in favour of getting back on that horse! You HAVE to make some trade-offs! You simply can't do everything! Well not yet, anyway!
 
Good morning, @Lmflora. You and @Alitm crack me up with all this "horse talk". It is like reading nuclear physicists comparing notes in terms of my understanding and appreciation of your mutual enthusiasm. But, I absolutely know, as I commented on other posts, that getting back to doing something you love is what provides a huge incentive and goal for you on your recovery journey. I know "taking it easy" is not a phrase that's ever used in your daily vocabulary, and I know caring for horses sounds like it involves a ton of work and nothing you can simply sluff off--and then your husband's rotator cuff surgery is coming up--you have a lot on your plate! But, I think I agree with @Josephine: take a look at your routine and see if it's possible to cut out some activities, to trade those for the more required duties you are not able to put off. There are certainly aspects of your lifestyle with a big piece of property and a sense of independence and freedom (and no neighbors within 20 feet of your house!) but I have to say suburban living definitely has its appeal when I read about all that you and @Alitm have to do to maintain your lifestyles! Anyway, hope your Monday goes well--overcast and gray this morning with rain this afternoon probably, but no chores for me except maybe a trip to the grocery store and then lots of lazing about for the rest of the day! I am feeling positively slug-like compared to you. But, no, comparisons are evil, will not go there!!
 
Hey @Lmflora, great to know you got your fridge and are making ice! Always feel good to clean out all those bits and pieces that lurk at the back of one's fridge!

Hope that the extra Tylenol helps you out and you find the trade offs Josephine suggests, as the magic three month mark approaches :) . I'm watching and learning from you!!!:wink: . The rehab takes so blessed long, it is frustrating!!! :hairpulling: . I feel I have to be quite overall fit to ride my horse again....does that mean putting off riding for a little longer than three months, to get that fitness going, I don't know and I won't know how one feels at three months, until I get there? You have that advantage. My question is, how does one get that fitness back with out getting so darn tired! I am really starting to thinking about pool walking, although I can't stand the smell of chlorine (being from Bermuda I am quite spoilt!) and yoga....although I have started the pilates 100 again for my abs!! Thinking out loud here, perhaps a better way of thinking in what to trade off....the barn chores require a lot of walking, but what do we need most to ride....in my discipline it is really strong abs, as they help so much with balance and all that. To me I need to stretch out the muscles in my legs, and realign them as well. Correct walking helps with that. I am finding the same thing, I over do it constantly, not enough to put me in the ODIC, but enough for my poor muscles to say, "could you please prioritize, and not try to do everything!"...and that is just with activities of daily living. I feel your struggle, although I'll be put right back in my place with the second OR! Thinking of you on the muscles issues and getting back on! Will be watching your journey :-)

Wishing you a great day!
 
feel I have to be quite overall fit to ride my horse again....does that mean putting off riding for a little longer than three months, to get that fitness going, I don't know and I won't know how one feels at three months, until I get there? You have that advantage. My question is, how does one get that fitness back with out getting so darn tired!

That is a hard one, I did a variety of things, yoga, road my bike a lot, elliptical, walking, but I often wonder if I did too much. I.e. the hip flexor issue. But I’ll never know for sure what caused that issue. I’m working with lefty now, and am taking it a bit slower. I wasn’t trying to learn to ride cutting horses the first time, so I rode quite a bit, mostly trail, and gathering cattle on the ranch. My PT has me stepping up on a big step to strengthen for stepping into stirrup. However, I seem to get so tired by 2-3, just from all the daily stuff. So I bail on the extra exercises.

But every day gets better, and just keep,plugging along.

@Barbaraj and @Alitm, meet my new baby girl “Melica” she can come home on 12-15:

:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::loveshwr::loveshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Riding to the other side<
    07E29D68-F3DF-4804-B2B4-52B19C5D48C8.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 258
  • [Bonesmart.org] Riding to the other side<
    8F7EF4AC-E420-46BC-9234-DE70377532B2.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 274
Awww, @Lmflora, you new baby Melica is adorable! I bet you can't wait to get her home on December 15, that will be a happy day for you, and something to definitely look forward to next month. I agree, you just have to keep chugging along on your recovery journey, trying to find out what works best for you, the right combination of activity and rest. However, glad to hear that overall you are feeling better--progress may be slow but at least it's forward motion, which is what we all want. Hang in there!
 
Awww @Lmflora, Your little Melica puppy is SOOO cute! So excited for you :loveshwr:. December 15th pick up sounds perfect for you hip rehab :)

Hope the weather behaves and you can get to the show this weekend. Pictures please if you go!:yes:

I seem to get so tired by 2-3, just from all the daily stuff.
Yes....this is me too. My "activities of daily living" keep me so busy, it is hard to figure out how I can manage any other forms of exercise!

Have to be check in at the hospital at 6:45 AM tomorrow, so hoping I can get home by Saturday. I'm just going to roll with it, no matter what happened last time! Can't compare!!

:flwrysmile:
 
Hello @Barbaraj, @Alitm and all my BS friends!
Yesterday was my 8 week OS appt. Cleared for the bath, Woohoo!!! He told me I could have called and gotten cleared sooner, we didn't talk about it at 4 weeks, because the appt was rushed and we talked more about the righty hip flexor, and I forgot to ask. I should have called, because that bath I took yesterday was HEAVEN!!!

I was told I can start doing more strength training, core etc. Cleared to do most anything, except ride my horse (arrrrg), get a full blown chiropractic adjustment, or do anything that causes any impact. My lefty is remarkable good. I am going to start stepping up on the top step of my mounting block to start strengthening the "step up into the saddle" leg. Riding the horse is my Xmas present.

I am going to have an injection on the right hip flexor, the cupping and dry needling have helped, but still have that restrictive pain when I lift my leg up. Fortunately I do not have that problem with my new lefty (hopefully never....). Hopefully this injection will help. it will also serve as a diagnostic as well.

I have a very low keyed holiday weekend planned, then comes the count down to my daughter arriving on 12-2 for 3 weeks, I and ridiculously excited about that. I am going to go see my horse this weekend, I have been mooning over the pictures of the new puppy. I can't express how much I am looking forward to having a baby thing around the house. I know it is work, but unlike human babies, it doesn't last as long, and I can be selfish in my joy with her, I don't have to share at all.

Cheers everyone
 
Great news on the bath! Sounds like you have some exciting things to look forward to.
Your daughters visit, your precious new puppy coming home, your upcoming visit to see your horse and riding again soon. I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving and a great end to the week!
@Lmflora
 
@Lmflora GREAT news from the OS!! Yay. SO wonderful. Your bath sounded glorious! You have a lot to look forward to :-)

Keep us posted on the right hip flexor injection. :fingersx: Fingers crossed and prayers said :angel:that it sorts out that hip flexor once and for all.

Your puppy is going to be one loved up pup!

:flwrysmile:
 
Hurray for you, @Lmflora--nice to get a full release, with baths and permission to start rebuilding your strength and endurance with few limitations. I know riding your horse is a big priority, but you will get there. Sorry to hear you need the hip flexor injection (which sounds painful to me--but I am a major "shot weenie") but if it provides relief and nudges you along the road to full recovery, glad to know it's available for you. Daughter is arriving shortly, and then your new "baby" so lots of happy events to look forward to. Have a great Thanksgiving--don't overdo it! You said you had a "low key" holiday planned but sometimes despite that confident assertion, we DO end up pushing too hard. I'm lucky I am going to spend Thanksgiving with my husband's family, and only have to bring rolls and a salad. Happy because my youngest son is coming with us today--his first Thanksgiving home since 2012, before he left for college! Older son and his girlfriend are coming (she's vegan so it should be interesting, although I think she's bringing her own food) so a good group of folks will there. Cheers!
 
Hi :hi:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wishing you a great week and lovely holiday season.
@Lmflora
 
Hey, @Lmflora, it's true! We both celebrated our two month anniversary yesterday. I didn't realize it until a dinner party guest last night pointed it out to me. Hard to believe we are surviving and thriving. And shortly your new "baby" will arriving and with the advent of spring, you'll be getting back on those horses you love! Way to go!
 
Hey @Barbaraj, we certainly did make it this far in great style! I forgot till now, I guess that’s a good sign if it’s becoming something I forget about. I’m dropping the extra weight, feeling pretty good, getting things done. Looking forward to my daughter getting here in 4 days, provided the weather does not slow her down. Counting down to puppy day (12-15) and horse day (12-26). Holidays will also be low keyed, alas, the daughter is leaving to spend it with her boyfriend. But I will have her for 3 weeks. It was very nice having a low keyed thanksgiving. I kind of missed not putting out a big spread, but taking the year off was also nice. I think I might do that more than once every 20 years.

Thanks @Layla your wishes always make me smile

Cheers
 
Good day, @Lmflora, glad to hear that all's going well for you. Can't believe you "missed" putting on the Thanksgiving spread! I was so happy to just show up with my offerings of bread and salad and not have to host a huge dinner! I'm ready to miss that for the rest of my life! Glad to hear your Christmas holidays will be low key, with puppy, horse and now daughter arriving soon you have lots of good, positive and happy events to look forward to--such a mood booster to go along with those fabulous hips! Yay for you!
 
Do we have puppies and horses?:puppysmooze::horseriding:
Hope all is well with you as we near the holidays!:re-snowman:

Have a great weekend @Lmflora
 
Hello @Barbaraj, @Alitm, @Mojo333, I have not been on for awhile, my daughter arrived and I am fully distracted with her visit. It has been wonderful. Just what I needed, the time is going by too fast though, she leaves next Thursday the 20th, she is going to,spend the holiday with her boyfriend in San Francisco. I tried every dirty trick and maneuver to get her to stay here for another week, but not gonna happen. I am thankful for the time we have together.

Puppy day is in 2 days, Saturday, pretty excited, I have a big hole in my heart from the loss of my sweet boy, going to fill that hole on Saturday, I am such a sap, I start choking up thinking about it. Still grieving over the loss of my boy.

@Alitm i am going to the horse show Tomorrow to watch my girl again. I am set to ride on Christmas, I plan on going over to,the arena where she is in training. I will have to wait till the day after Xmas, pretty much can’t bother people on Xmas day... but the next day I’m doing it...I got distracted with my daughter and have not studied the videos you sent yet, I promise I will, because I am very interested in them.

I had the hip injection on Monday the 10th. Pretty quick and easy process. I really think there is significant improvement. He said it would take 2-3 weeks for the medicine to take full affect. I can lift my knee higher, there is still some soreness, but not as bad. So I am hopeful. It’s much better than it was. It was for illiosoas tendonitis.

Hubby is having next surgery on Jan 9. Then we start all,over again. But there is an end to all this, and we are getting there.

This is a quick check in, more later
Cheers
 
:hi: glad to see an update!
I hope the injection keeps helping and that you get over that tendinitis quickly so it can be all about the puppy (oops, then hubby):)

Hope your holiday is full of comfort and joy...:kittychris:
Why don't we have any Christmas doggies?:chrissy grin:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom