Guest viewing is limited

THR Riding to the other side<

Good morning @Lmflora, I hope today is starting out a little better. I know we are both starting at the bottom of the mountain, and the summit looks awfully high above, but you’ve done this climb before so you know you are going to make it. I hope you get some sunshine today, a mood booster usually, and family and friends are checking in. Get those meds sorted, and have a peaceful day.
 
Good morning to you too @Barbaraj, I came home yesterday, finally got my stomach settled. Pain was a little rough last night, I had to breakout the OxyContin to get through the night. My OS has me on a rotation of tramadol + Tylenol every 6 hours, ibuprofen every 6 hours but not at the same time as the Tylenol and tramadol. Baby aspirin twice a day. And the OxyContin as needed, but only if pain is bad.

Taking stool softener and Miralax. If no BM by this evening, then breakout the hard core laxatives.

I’m getting around pretty good. I was able to sleep on my side last night, with surgical hip up, using big pillows to keep me level and stable. At the hospital I had this fist like pain under my shoulder blade, which made sleeping impossible at the hospital, as I had to be on my back. I was dozing for 10 minute intervals, awake most the ime. I was EXHAUSTED. I woke up 4 times last night to pee between 8 pm and 8 am. But slept soundly in between, except when the hip pain kicked in, but slept well after the med kicked in.

It’s a new day, I feel pretty good today so far, my appetite has improved. It’s so good to be home.
 
I am sure the combination of interrupted sleep plus drugs made for a less than relaxing night. But being home must be nice, one’s own bed and “stuff” and the hope that sleep will gradually improve. It’s a new day, and you are starting off on the recovery journey, one day at a time. Glad your appetite is returning—have a yummy treat today to reward yourself for making it home—celebrate those small victories!
 
Haha @Lmflora, so far no digestive issues. I was so paranoid with all the warnings about terrible constipation from narcotics so that I took a dose of Miralax the first night home. Yowza—worked VERY well! I am only on one night time dose of Tramadol so maybe I will be okay to skip the laxatives for now. I will wait a few days and see how I do. Clearly, I have demonstrated to myself that Miralax is VERY effective for me!
 
Last edited:
Hello, I’m feeling pretty good, I have a med schedule that seems to be working. I’m up and walking quite a bit. A little sore today, after walking around and after PT exercises. But iced and rested for a couple of hours, feeling much better. Daughter is taking good care of us, she goes home Tuesday. I go to PT tomorrow. I’m able to get up and pee by myself, i can turn over on my side and prop myself with pillows, it seems to be less painful then the RTHR 4 years ago. I have succeeded in beating the constipation monster this time around YAY YAY! So glad it’s over.
 
Welcome home and congratulations, @Lmflora and @Barbaraj ! It all sounds pretty much as would be expected. I'm 9 days ahead of you. More pain than the RTHR in July but I'm OK, on one crutch, able to sleep for the most part. What a relief indeed to have the operation done with.
 
Hi @Lmflora

So sorry you had such a rough time post op. Nausea just does one in at the best of times, and to have it post-op is just brutal! Great to read that you are at home, your med schedule is working, your appetite is returning AND you are beating the constipation monster! :yes!:

I am just over two weeks post-op with my first hip, and heading towards my second hip surgery on Nov 8. Life improves after week one that is for sure. Still talking it easy but walking more on one crutch, except for when I get tired.
Wishing you a comfortable and restful night :flwrysmile:
 
Yay for all "going" well.
That can be such an added miserable aspect of recovery.
Hope today is healing and restful.
:flwrysmile:
 
Welcome to Monday, @Lmflora--I hope that you, like me, see this as the start of a new week even though we're not actually a week out from surgery. Old habits die hard, and Monday is always the start of a new week for me even though I don't work anymore so every day is much like another. Sounds as if you've got medication figured out for now, and are able to get up and moving a bit more. That's my goal for today--more walks, less loafing around in bed. Too much of anything--walking, resting, sitting--makes me stiff so the goal is to mix it up as best I can. Good luck today, we're moving along!
 
Last edited:
Too much of anything--walking, resting, sitting--makes me stiff
I think that is indicative of most hippy's first weeks. No way to really get comfortable for more than 10 minutes at one time:sad:
Hope both of you ladies have a good day.
@Lmflora ...I hope you are feeling some better:)
 
Hey there @Barbaraj, yes Monday is a good day. I’m feeling good, I do need to make sure I have something in my tummy before I take any meds. I never had such a sensitive stomach until this latest fiasco. I suspect all will workout in the end. I’m sleeping really well. Even with the med schedule. Went to PT today. I seem to have better range of motion this time around and am much stronger all the way around. Might be because the right hip was much more damaged and I was not using it where as the left one had less damage and I brute forced my way through activity. I used it more. I have some swelling today. It’s a 45 min drive to the PT, and I was moving around quite a bit this morning. I’m currently resting in the recliner with the ice machine. Took the meds, ate some lunch, I think I might take a nap. Hope your feeling well.

Wow @Alitm a second surgery in a month? Pretty daunting. Good thing the recovery is relatively quick. Things start to progress rather quickly after the first 2 weeks. Hoping your second goes as well as the first.
 
You're lucky to be sleeping well. That's helpful.
How did you handle that 45 minute car ride? I found sitting in the car that long miserable for a couple months post op. I used to bring an ice pack for the trip and just stick it out on the way home. You're superwoman :yes!:
Hope your night is peaceful. Thanks for sharing an update!
@Lmflora
 
Glad you are having a good day so far, @Lmflora. Husband just brought me lunch and then he’s heading off to the gym. He was concerned about leaving me but I assured him I’d be fine. Like you, I am thinking a nap would be a good idea!
 
@Lmflora :wow: 45 mins to your physio and back again....you are brave!! Hope it went well. Your nap is well deserved!

Eight weeks between surgeries for me. My OS says it takes six weeks for new joint capsule to form, and the soft tissue trauma to heal....enough time for the second surgery! I figure it will be tough, but I really need to get the surgeries behind me in every way, as I feel my life has been on hold for way too long. I'm really over that! Also need to relieve hubby from doing double duty, sooner vs. later. I can't speed up the healing, but can schedule surgeries as close together as OS sees fit!

Wishing you a comfortable evening after all your activities today. :ice:+ :sleep: seems to sort me out!
 
How is Day 5 going, @Lmflora? A morning shower definitely contributed to a positive start to my day, that and a short walk without the the walker for a few minutes. Husband is making me some lunch now and a visit from a friend expected this afternoon—happy Tuesday!
 
@Alitm, 45 minutes is a drag, no bravery involved, we live out of town and everything is far apart in Wyoming!

@Barbaraj, day not so bad. Did some PT exercises, puttered around the kitchen. And started binge watching “game of thrones”. I have a friend coming over tomorrow and she is going to help me do a few things in the garden. Husband had appointment today with his OS, he had rotator cuff surgery a month ago. We are quite the pair. Daughter went home today:beg:
 
Hi there, :hi:
Enjoy the time with your friend tomorrow.
It will be your one week anniversary! :yay:
Be careful in the garden and have fun.
A great rest of the week to you!
@Lmflora
 
@Lmflora I feel for you on that drive! Sorry to read that your daughter left today...and your hubby is dealing with his post op RC surgery! Lots on your mutual plate! I hope you have a lovely visit with your friend tomorrow and the garden gets sorted! My neighbour said she'll do my fall flower pots for me.....so hard not to be able to do it myself! However, I am getting adept at the golfers reach......soooo......LOL!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom