THR Riding to the other side<

@Lmflora, I thought regretfully about my garden beds this morning after seeing that your plan today might involve tending to some of yours with help. I am sure much of my garden areas are sadly weed infested. I had hopes of doing some intensive weeding before surgery but that just didn’t happen. I know next spring I will have some daunting work ahead of me. But, at the moment, it’s “outta sight, outta mind”. Anyway, have great day, maybe some sunshine? Impressed that you are venturing outside. Maybe next week for me. Cheers!
 
Hello @Barbaraj, no garden yesterday. I woke feeling yucky, nauseous, tired. I dialed back on the meds, thinking it was the meds that were upsetting my stomach, stopped the tramadol and thought to just do the Tylenol and ibuprofen rotation. Drank some (alot) of ginger ale, and fell asleep in the chair. Woke up with my hip hurting like crazy, but my stomach settled. Ate some chicken noodle soup. I think I was getting dehydrated. It felt like my blood pressure was low again. I started the tramadol again yesterday afternoon, with LOTS of fluids. I feel better this morning. Pain is better this morning. Going to take it easy and keep hydrated today.
 
Sorry you weren't feeling well yesterday, @Lmflora. I feel so lucky that I must have an iron constitution as none of these medications have made me feel nauseous. Like you, I need to do a better job hydrating during the day (will try to do better today) but I confess I am someone who's always struggled to drink enough water. I think I need one of those camelback apparatus, with a little pinging alarm going off every 15 minutes, reminding me to slurp some more! I'd love to ditch the Tramadol, but I think for now I'm going to wait until the end of the week to reassess. I'm only taking them at night, but they've really helped me to get fairly decent, if interrupted and slightly drugged, sleep which I think is critical at this juncture. I think this is all so new for us, that it just takes constant experimentation/adjustment as we move ahead. It's certainly not an exact science, but I think we're all in the same boat--just keep trying various things until you find what works best in terms of medication/activity, knowing that as recovery progresses we'll need to make constant adjustments to insure forward progress. Is that a hassle? Heck, yes! But we don't get a choice so just have to keep plugging along. I hope your pain is more manageable today. Do take it easy. We're officially on Week #2! Yay for us!
 
@Barbaraj, i did not have these issues 4 years ago. I guess every time is different (duh). I just ate some oatmeal, stomach feels pretty good. So far so good. Take it slow with ditching tramadol, hit me like a brick. Not gonna do that again....I agree, sleep is a good thing right now. My OS said I could take a benedryl to prevent nausea and to help with sleep. I’ve been sleeping pretty good. Have a great day!
 
Benedryl is pretty useful. I use it at night too. I would also have a bana prior to going to bed. Got me sleepy and helped prevent cramps...
 
@Lmflora Early days for you, this hip. You seem to be doing a good job of paying attention to your body's needs and resting as much as possible. I never have ginger ale in the house, but my mom used to give it to me whenever I had an upset tummy. Room temperature.

I am having more pain with my 2nd hip surgery, only 7 weeks after the 1st, but not waking up with the "puky" pain as of the last few days. Taking Oxycodone only at night now, Advil & Tylenol during the day.

Sending you healing vibes.
 
Sorry to hear that hip #2 is causing you more pain, @EL11, but--wow--surely you went into that second surgery quickly, with only 7 weeks between the two. No wonder you've been thrown for a bit, still really recovering from #1 and then heading to quickly into #2. I am impressed by folks who are able to do that, although I guess if both hips are really bad, then waiting doesn't make a lot of sense. That's great that you are able to survive on Tylenol and Advil during the day, taking the oxycodone only a night. I'm doing Tramadol at night and it seems to be working so far (knock on wood) and have had no problems with stomach upsets this far.
 
@EL11, bummer that your second hurts more. I suspect that the whole thing is becoming quite wearisome at this point for you. Hang in there. It is a lot like child birth in that we do forget the bad parts because the results of reclaiming our lives and mobility is so overwhelmingly good when all the healing is over. Just takes too long!! Apparently we can’t predict how these things will play out. I was feeling awesome the first few days after this one, better mobility and everything compared to 4 years ago. But at one week, I felt better last time then now. I think I was pushing it too much because i did have better mobility this time. But I’m not gonna lie, I am pretty sore today.
 
Sorry you weren't feeling well yesterday, @Lmflora. I feel so lucky that I must have an iron constitution as none of these medications have made me feel nauseous. Like you, I need to do a better job hydrating during the day (will try to do better today) but I confess I am someone who's always struggled to drink enough water. I think I need one of those camelback apparatus, with a little pinging alarm going off every 15 minutes, reminding me to slurp some more! I'd love to ditch the Tramadol, but I think for now I'm going to wait until the end of the week to reassess. I'm only taking them at night, but they've really helped me to get fairly decent, if interrupted and slightly drugged, sleep which I think is critical at this juncture. I think this is all so new for us, that it just takes constant experimentation/adjustment as we move ahead. It's certainly not an exact science, but I think we're all in the same boat--just keep trying various things until you find what works best in terms of medication/activity, knowing that as recovery progresses we'll need to make constant adjustments to insure forward progress. Is that a hassle? Heck, yes! But we don't get a choice so just have to keep plugging along. I hope your pain is more manageable today. Do take it easy. We're officially on Week #2! Yay for us!

@Barbaraj I am so sorry you are having difficulty. Yet, you are doing so much more than many of us at this stage...so perspective! Don’t overpush! I am usually not a sugar person but have been having coca-cola whenever my pain ramps up and my stomach feels weird. Try it! It works for me!
 
Hi, @lovesstars, I think you misunderstood. I am actually having no stomach issues. I am glad of that, of course, but if I did have an upset stomach I don’t think sodas would work—I hate carbonated beverages. As a small child I drank too much cheap grape soda ( or so goes the family legend) that I got violently ill. Since then I haven’t been able to tolerate the stuff. @Lmflora is the one with tummy troubles.
 
Haha, no problem, @lovesstars. Given all the activity on this forum, it is hard to keep track of comments! Hope you had a good day today, one step closer to a full and pain free recovery!
 
Hi, @Lmflora, how are you doing on the recovery trail? I hope meds are sorted, feeling a little bit better every day. This process isn't for sissies, that's for sure, but since your are my hipster "twin" I am thinking of you and hoping you are feeling encouraged and as if you're proceeding at a pace that feels right for you. Happy Hump Day!
 
It's two weeks today since your surgery @Lmflora
Wondering how you're doing? I sure hope well and that your tummy issues have settled.
Leave an update when you feel up to it. We'd love to hear of your progress.
A great rest of the week to you!
 
Hi @Barbaraj and @Layla, I just realized it had been a week since I checked in. It took me a few days to start feeling better. After my stomach problems I had stopped taking all my meds (bad mistake) but I felt so sick I just thought I had to get this **** out of my system. But the pain in my hip hit me like a brick. Took me 48 hours to get the pain under control. Then I just didn’t feel good. Gatorade to the rescue. I learned drinking plain water is not enough. I needed those electrolytes to really start turning the corner. Dehydration has been an issue and I think I needed more then plain water.

We had to put our other little dog to sleep on Saturday :boohoo:down to 1 dog and a cat now.

:yikes: Then my freaking refrigerator broke!!!! My French door, bottom freezer, 3 year old refrigerator. :sigh: We had to unload to coolers then find room in the other various small fridges in the garage and shop. Repair man won’t be here until next Wednesday!

On the upside I went and saw my horse, she gave me a big white fearful eye at first as I was hobbling on 1 crutch, but then she recognized me and I was very pleased. Motivation to get better and get back in the saddle.

Went to my massage therapist yesterday, did a gentle lymph drain on my operative leg, felt really good.
I did not sleep too well last night, not because of pain, but I am slowly cutting back on the pain meds and benedryl, because my tummy is good now. I may be tired today, but I am feeling pretty good now.

I’ll read your thread @Barbaraj to catch up on how your doing.
 
So sorry to hear about your dog, @Lmflora, that must have been hard, especially when you are already feeling drained, physically and emotionally. And then the refrigerator fiasco! Argh!

But glad to hear your horse recognized you despite the crutch, and now provides that oh-so-important goal for you to recover, slowly but surely, so you can get back in the saddle soon.

I feel lucky that none of the drugs I’be taken have caused real problems. The Tramadol made me feel doped up, but once I was able to sleep through the night without it I was happy to ditch it. Remarkably, except one night early on, I’ve had virtually no pain, just a vague soreness and stiffness, most pronounced when I get out of bed. The Tylenol works great for that. I am really tired of being tired all the time but hoping my energy will return in the upcoming weeks.

Keep up your good recovery, we’ll both be fully back in 2019 or sooner (really hope sooner!) and all this hip nonsense will be done! Cheers!
 
Oh my stars...what a run of bad luck you are having.
We shouldn't have to deal with life's other crises when we are on the middle of hip replacement recovery!!!
One :censored: thing at a time. Pleeeeeasz!

Hope you have a good weekend.
Hang in there and let someone else deal with the other stuff.

Sorry about your pup...mine will be 16 the end of the month...I worry as I know I will not have him forever.
 
Awww...:console2:
I love my little Shihtzu (the real Mojo)
And he is getting to be a bossy little boy as he gets older!
Pain in the patootie! Love him anyway!
 
Last edited:
:wave:Hi
I'm so sorry the meds messed with your stomach in such a way that it caused you uncontrolled pain for 48 hrs. Thankfully that is behind you now.

I'm also sorry for the loss of your dog. It's difficult to part ways with our furry friends and all that unconditional love they give, especially when you're healing physically in a weakend state yourself. :console2:

It's great you enjoyed the massage. I hope you slept better last night. Let us know how you're doing today.
I hope your weekend is peaceful.
@Lmflora
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom