Bilateral TKR Rhody on the Road to Recovery

Ain’t no fun being an O’s fan lately. We haven't even played in a WS since 87? I think. 2014 was fun.
No love lost between O's and Sox but when a team is as good a yours it's fun to watch.
Yes, I am a baseball geek and proud of it!

So am I...I love baseball. Mostly because, there is so little that's good on TV these days. Once baseball starts, your team plays pretty much every night for 6 months. Pretty much guaranteed something to watch every night, all summer, and if your team is good...into October. Sorry about your O's...tough season. Nice ballpark, but rough season.

Hope your recovery is coming along nicely!
 
I'm doing well with recovery, thanks! Sounds like you are,too.

Hubs and I looked forward to each game until about after all star break. It became groundhog day. We used to live next door to Ripken stadium home of Baysox (short season A league for Orioles). That was fun, but the best part was little league world series. We met folks from all over the world.
 
October baseball! Nothing like it..even better if you’re rooting on your team! I’m a huge Marlins’ fan in spite of the ownership that tries it’s best to alienate me!!!

However since we sent one of my favorite players to Milwaukee...I have become a huge Brewers fan this year. Between Yelich and Counsel it’s almost like watching two eras of my Marlins at the same time.

I think the Brewers take it today in Game 7 tonight...no predictions for the Workd Series though!
 
@Rhodyrhody , I'd be interested to know the outcome re advice concerning compression sleeve. Here in Australia i have been told to wear compression hose for 6 weeks. After week 3 took off during the day as i am fairly active but at times have compression sleeve on.

It makes it far more comfortable walking around, think it helps re swelling and psychologically makes me feel safer. Have no idea if this is allowed, but as told 6 weeks with hose on guessing its fine.

The compression socks guidance seems to be all over the map. Some never have to wear them, I had 4 weeks, looks like you had 6. They didn't seem to care if I was active or not, they were pretty much stuck on 4 weeks of one aspirin in the AM, one in the PM, and annoying socks all day.

Asked my PT about wearing a knee brace. She said I could ask the OS, but she wouldn't recommend it at this time. OS appt tomorrow, we'll see what he has to say.
 
The OS asst said no reason I couldn't wear a brace. The PT person suggested not to because I need to maximize circulation in that area. For now, I'll just not, I guess.

Well...someone bake a cake...at 5 weeks and 6 days post bktr, I walked a whole mile, all at once. Kinda tiring, but I made it. Immediately sat down and iced when I got home (upside: did that because it seemed like a good idea, not because of crazy swelling or pain). I kinda think I made it through it ok. My thigh muscles just above the knees are a little sore/tired, but other than that and some occasional clicking in the right knee, I don't think it went that badly. I realize I may not be able to do it again tomorrow, or even the next day, but hey, that's the way this goes, right? (And, who knows, maybe I can?) I think the real feedback to this test will be how I feel tonight/tomorrow... but, I have to say...not feeling too bad right now.
:prayer:
 
Yay, for that mile! Let's home you don't have angry knees later. If you do, you know what to do!
 
@Rhodyrhody , i know what you mean in no standard between Docs or countries. As well as wearing stockings for 6 weeks i also have to inject blood thinner for 6 weeks.

I saw OS offsider yesterday at just under 5weeks (was supposed to be 6 week appoint but hospital stuffed up). Told him i ditch stockings in day and used compression knee wrap instead. He said this is fine. Im guessing do what feels right as long as you have good health and no medical issues.

On no heavy meds an have good flex but still no driving til 6 weeks.......apparently its an insurance issue (car insurance that is).......go figure
 
You make me wish I could have had both knees done at once. At most of the way thru week 7 I am progressing nicely, but know that next year I am gonna have to do this all over again. Not lovin’ that, but you gotta do what you gotta do lol.
 
Yay, for that mile! Let's hope you don't have angry knees later. If you do, you know what to do!

Well...that may not have been my best idea I ever had, but still glad I did it. Lots of stiffness and some swelling, but no unsettling sharp pain. Muscle pain/fatigue, but "only" in my calves, hamstrings and thighs - those guys need to get with the program. Probably not going to be able to do that kind of walk again today, but who knows...it's early. :wink:

Today begins Week 7! :thumb:
 
I wouldn't attempt it today and probably not tomorrow either. After having a busy day, you should take off at least one or two days and let your knees settle down. They will be glad you did, and so will you!
 
Went to PT...within the first 10 minutes, brutal sharp pain on the outside of my knee. Really bad. I forget what we were even doing. I whined about it and said we're not doing any more of that. Then, she had me do some other/different step exercises. And, like 5 minutes later, that pain was gone. It was the strangest thing...from excruciating, we "gotta call it a day" type pain...to hardly any pain at all.

One thing I've noticed is that, the really sharp, extra painful pains, are fewer and farther between...but, the big thing is...they seem to actually pass...and much quicker. I thought at the beginning that I was going to have to be carried out of the place and at the end, I felt "fine" (relatively speaking, of course) :spin:

Strangest thing...how a specific part of the body could go from hurting SO much...to hardly at all. (But, I'll take it!)
 
You may want to start a slow walking regimen and build up to a mile especially since your still early in recovery.
 
You may want to start a slow walking regimen and build up to a mile especially since your still early in recovery.

Thanks @KarriB Already did one yesterday and was sore last night and this morning, but survived and not feeling too bad right now. Taking it pretty easy today (except for PT) and not going to walk a mile today, but will get out for a while tomorrow for sure. I'm just really glad it's becoming more frequent that the discomfort seems to be in the surrounding tissue or muscle area as opposed to that feeling of pain right in the very center of my knees. :thumb:
 
HUGE test tonight. Basketball game (watching, not playing :wink:)

We have season tickets for the local U basketball team. Arena is less than 2 miles away, but several possible challenges:
-parking - I "may" be able to get a spot right in front of the arena with my handicap tag. If not, lengthy walk.
-once inside - need to get down to the other end of the arena
-approx 35 steps or so down to seat
-sitting - game will be about 2 hours or so long and the seats probably provide about as much room as coach airline, only without padding so, much less comfortable. I'm sure I will be doing much stand/sit alternation. Wondering how many times (not "if") I will bang my knees on the seat in front of me, and if I'll be able to keep the language G-rated.
-getting back out of the arena, in a crowd, and back to the car and home.

Pretty sure this is going to be a significant workout. The 'best' part is...I have PT the next day. :thumb:
 
Dont be too proud to take a cushion. My biggest worry would be getting out of the seat!
 
Oh boy, you are really challenging yourself. Make sure you'll have at least a few days to recoup.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom