Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Rhody on the Road to Recovery

In spite of recovering from BTKR and all the other pains it brings.........
Wait for it..............

You still have the RED SOX!!!!!
What do Marylanders have?.........
Watching Manny still not run out a potential single!
LOL
 
It was a good month and change before I went grocery shopping with Mr. Shoes. I was way too exhausted and using a walker before that point. When we did go into the store, me using a cane, I perked at the sight of the store’s electric carts.

“I can use a cart!” I pointed to them. Mr. Shoes (attorney that he is) nixed that. How competent did I feel driving one? Well, I never had. Did I feel more competent on my new knees? Yes. Not up to walking around an entire store, though. So I walked enough to buy the few things he felt he couldn’t select properly — fresh produce, the right chicken parts, and a feminine product — after which I went to a bench near the checkout to wait for him to collect the rest of the list.

I was useful enough and didn’t overdo it. Neither did I collide with anyone. :heehee: Best of all, it felt great to be out doing something normal!

If you know you’re going to be doing something that might tax your new knees, rest up the day or two beforehand (slack off on the PT, just do daily activities or a little walking), and ice ahead of the excursion (send your tissues in “cool” instead of hot). It might not prevent swelling from the extra activity, but it won’t hurt. Oh, and I always packed an extra pain med, just in case. The one time I used one, though, I fell asleep suring a production of “Spamalot.” :blush:
 
I've been using the carts at Wal-mart for about a month now and I haven't even had surgery yet (embarrassing). They are a blessing! Had never used one before but it was easy. Last Friday was my last day out until surgery day, went out to eat with my dear husband and it was very hard getting around so decided to stay home for now.

I have been in a terrible amount of pain and it may have been even more aggravated by stopped the prednisone that I had been on for 3 years. I think the withdrawal symptoms have attributed to the pain because I basically hurt in almost every joint and all my muscles.

Hoping surgery will put me on the mend!
 
Just realized something. I have read in multiple btkr threads about one knee being/recovering better than the other. Definitely the case with me. But if that is the case, why am I doing the exact same things to both...treating them exactly the same? Same exercises, same ice, same elevation, even though they are waaay different. I think I need to re-evaluate that?
 
I treated mine the same for the same reason I made all my kids eat the same meal instead of catering to their wants: Less work. :umm: Lefty just had to get over himself and move along. Both knees got the daily walk. Both knees elevated at night until things got better. It’s true Lefty (my laggard) set the pace somewhat. Righty was always ready to do more (walking, bending, whatever) but we stopped with when Lefty was done. Righty got more love. I spoke glowingly of Righty. Lefty got curses and the occasional wail. “Why? Why won’t this knee become perfect like Righty?”

I did eventually stop icing Righty (lovely knee) and only slapped the gel pack on Lefty (ungrateful rotter). But that was my only concession, and mostly because Righty protested the cold. That Lefty did not protest actually meant the poor thing still needed it.

Long story short, they both recovered fully. Lefty just took longer getting there. It matters lots less after the fact! :happydance:
 
Hello @Rhodyrhody. You dont know how lucky you are sleeping like you do! Took me 5 weeks to get a reasonable sleep...tonight is not one of them @ 4am. Good on you.
 
Hello @Rhodyrhody. You dont know how lucky you are sleeping like you do! Took me 5 weeks to get a reasonable sleep...tonight is not one of them @ 4am. Good on you.

Well, I guess everyone's got to be good at something, right?
Best of luck to you!

PS - This piriformis thing is truly a pain in the --- .
 
But you still have the Red Sox.
With a grand salami last night.
 
The pillow between legs idea....Still sleeping pretty well, using a pillow between legs. A regular size pillow is very effective and comfortable, but does make it hard to roll over/move around. (Am a side sleeper that switches sides a few time a night) It gets stuck in the sheets/blankets sometimes and out of habit, I try to move it with my knees, which torques them off painfully. Thought of this last night, just too tired to try it: The main thing the pillow seems to do...is to keep my new knees from banging into each other, which does hurt when that happens. So...maybe I try a smaller pillow that just keeps my knees from clacking together?...not sure I need more than that, one way to find out.

Realizing that knee pain/discomfort is one of the contributing factors to getting me out of bed every day. Probably from being still for so long, they get really stiff. My initial reaction to that has been non-printable. What I think I am just finding out today though is...after getting up, moving around, a little walking, a little flexing...it actually feels quite a bit better, pretty quickly. Although that doesn't last for long, because I'm really trying to up my walking, I'm taking that as a huge plus.

And more JBJ and the Red Sox!!!! :yahoo:
 
Try the smaller pillow idea. I found that worked great! I have a smaller, kind of flattish, cute little animal face pillow that fit just right and, like you’ve said, did the job while making it easier to move around a little. Sometimes it was just the right pillow for the night; other nights I used the bigger pillow. I kept a pillow collection beside the bed for a while. The right tool for the job and all that.

You’ve nailed why your knees are stiff in the morning. As time goes on you will find that your knees will be 1) a little less stiff in the morning, and 2) will loosen up faster and faster, almost instantly later on. And then the day comes when your knees aren’t stiff at all in the morning, or after sitting for a while. This is the year-long recovery end of things — it takes the full year before some of those things go away entirely.

You’re doing all the right things!
 
Last edited:
Thanks @SusieShoes ! Although, "all the right things"...may not be totally accurate :wink:.
I spend far too much time in the sit down work position. While I ice fairly frequently, I'm pretty sure I don't do enough elevation. The side of my right knee - maybe where the IT band connects to the tissue at the knee? - hurts like all get out. (At least that's what I think it is. I'm no doctor, but I have been doing a lot of online research...sitting at my desk...with my feet down). If anyone has suggestions for that, would love to hear.

If only my right knee felt like my left one...that would be beyond awesome. Oh well, at least the piriformis stretches I found seem to have helped. :spin:

Question...is it too soon (or just not a good idea in general) to consider wearing a compression sleeve/brace on my right knee? Is there downside to that? Seems like it would feel good and give me more walking confidence...
 
That’s a question I would ask my OS. About the timing, I mean. You’re four weeks out and how might a sleeve impact healing? If OS says good to go, then you’re clear.

People do wear compression sleeves for support and comfort. It’s something you might want give a try.

Tendinitis, bursitis, and piriformis issues can all take a while to settle down. My pers ansine bursitis (my OS guessed it was that) in my left knee took several months before it went away. Once gone it stayed gone. I never tried a brace or sleeve, though. Just sympathizing with your “difficult” knee.
 
I wore a brace occasionally before surgery (am guessing that for many, it's part of the 'pathway' to here) and it just seems like slapping that thing on my right knee might quiet down that outside part of my knee. Oh well, meeting with OS on Monday, will ask him.

Maybe it's for my own good that there's one that's balky and it's keeping me from making bad choices. If the right felt as good as the left, I might be out in the driveway shooting hoops with my son right now. :wink:
 
@Rhodyrhody , I'd be interested to know the outcome re advice concerning compression sleeve. Here in Australia i have been told to wear compression hose for 6 weeks. After week 3 took off during the day as i am fairly active but at times have compression sleeve on.

It makes it far more comfortable walking around, think it helps re swelling and psychologically makes me feel safer. Have no idea if this is allowed, but as told 6 weeks with hose on guessing its fine.
 
Did lots of walking yesterday + some driving. Had severe, sharp pain on the outside side of my right knee yesterday, but, put a lot of ice on it, a lot of times. It still hurt almost all day yesterday and was still hurting when I went to bed. But...woke up this morning and...tada...no more sharp pain on the outside of the right knee! WaHoooo!

Still having 'normal' aches and pains around the two of them, but I am calling this "Big Progress." This morning, after I got through what's now become the morning ritual of 'breaking the ice' to get those guys to flex, I think maybe my knees actually feel better today than any day I can remember since surgery. Hallelujah. I know there's still plenty of steps backwards out there, but the fact that that (really sharp) pain...."went away" has me pretty happy. (That, plus...well...Red Sox)
 
Little victories! congrats!

It was kind of sad watching the camera scan the sad faces of the Astros fans.
Looks like it’s going to be Dodgers/ Red Sox. Should be a great series. Hope Manny behaves himself.
 
Little victories! congrats!

It was kind of sad watching the camera scan the sad faces of the Astros fans.
Looks like it’s going to be Dodgers/ Red Sox. Should be a great series. Hope Manny behaves himself.

And add another little win...a good PT session today.

Having been a Sox fan since forever...I have no empathy for Astro fan. I followed the Sox for 40 years before they finally won a World Series. The Astros won it last year, they'll be fine :) Red Sox seem to be on a serious roll...undefeated on the road in these playoffs. Not sure who they're going to play, but predicting Sox in 5. :wink:
 
Great news with a good PT! Always maintain complete control of what happens to your knee and the both of you will be happier!
 
Ain’t no fun being an O’s fan lately. We haven't even played in a WS since 87? I think. 2014 was fun.
No love lost between O's and Sox but when a team is as good a yours it's fun to watch.
Yes, I am a baseball geek and proud of it!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom