Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Rhody on the Road to Recovery

Well...did it (went to the basketball game and they won). The steps were kinda slow (not really 'bleachers'), but that was semi-intentional and they had a good sturdy handrail (this was key). I actually found myself doing several step-over-steps on the way up almost without even thinking about it :climb:.
And there was enough legroom (more than I remembered) so I didn't bang my knees.

Off to PT later today.

Things going ok, just general soreness/rubber band tightness on both, moreso on the right, otherwise no major knee issues. I will say (like @Softtail ) that, the pain in the butt/low back area is soooooo annoying. It's not really "pain", just really annoying discomfort that's hard to ditch. Pretty sure it's from all the sitting/laying around. Have tried all kinds of positions, sitting on ice paks, etc...and just can't seem to shake it. Sit or lie down too long...backbutt hurts...stand or walk too long...knees start to get uncomfortable.

Take care everyone!
 
Things going ok, just general soreness/rubber band tightness on both
Your body is adapting to a completely new set-up. All the aches and pains will just go away :) as adaptation continues. You don't have to do anything, just don't try and push things too hard (not saying you are, but it bears repetition!).
 
Long time ago, I came across a meme that said something like, "The best part of my job is...the chair has wheels." And now, I'm actually finding those wheels useful...can push myself back and forth and get some nice flexing exercises done.

@Roy Gardiner, I totally get the not push too hard advice. Thanks!

PT today went great. No major pains, just some muscle tiredness. What I'm liking about PT is, I feel like I can really see my improvement there. There's things I'll do there now, that I wouldn't have a week or so ago...there's things I'm doing now that, a week or so ago, would have hurt like :censored:...and now they don't.
 
Yea Rhody , back thing is a pain we could do without. Downloaded a book from Amazon called The younger next year back book, and it’s interesting. Have read it pretty much all the way thru, and have started the exercises in it. Hope to stay with it and see if building up core muscles and maintaining a neutral spine are key to eliminating the back problems. Otherwise I am out another 10 bucks on a book I don’t use. Like anything though he says you have to put in the work to get the results, similar to our knee if you go the PT route, so I guess the ball is in my court going forward lol.
 
@Rhodyrhody back butt pain seems to hit several of us. I agree with @Softtail likely core strength has taken a hit and while the knee hurt we compensated causing back, piriformis and it band issues. My pt has me use heat on my back and butt, ice on my knee. My back and glutes trigger on but then don’t relax in between causing fatigue and pain. I have also found that my chiropractor has helped a lot with this. Hope you get relief soon.
 
Thanks @DLR and @Softtail
Backbutt pain is annoying for sure. However, if someone had offered me ahead of time that this would be my biggest problem at this stage, I probably would have taken it.

Possible 'nother milestone this evening. We haven't been to church since my surgery. There's a Saturday evening service we're going to try to get to tonight. Much less crowded, so reduced chance of 'bumping' the knees. Can't wait to get back! :prayer:
 
That is a great milestone! I know you had a tough time in those first weeks,but look at you now. Your recovery has been inspiring.
 
I hated missing church and it was a thrill to get back. I couldn't get into the choir loft for a couple more weeks after that, but was so blessed when I finally did! My first couple of times back, I sat in the back of the church with my leg across the pew and ice on my knee. My church is about 20 miles away, so I had to add that travel time to my out time. I was exhausted afterwards, but filled with joy! I hope you can make it!
 
We will make it. Fortunately, it's only a little over a mile away.
(Plus...saw the pastor at the basketball game and told him we'd be there! :wink:)
 
It went great...so happy to be there, I may actually try to go again tomorrow.
Of course, if they play baseball until 330AM again, there's no chance of that.

Was thinking today, if I disregard all the stuff going on 'around' my knee, like sore muscles, tendons popping and clicking, etc...the actual movement of my knee ("inside" or "at" the actual joint), when I go to flex or extend it...just feels so much smoother. Have to concentrate on that to really feel it because of all the peripheral stuff going on...but that smoother movement is definitely in there. Hallelujah!
 
I'm so glad you got back to church and it went well! Hopefully, it'll be a shorter game tonight. I won't dare watch it. I have to teach SS tomorrow and have to get to bed on time!
 
Did another mile walk today. Not the fastest (21 mins), then again, probably not the smoothest gait yet either. Finding that, even as I'm walking that short time frame, there are some pains that come and go. I might start off with one of my knees 'clicking', then it might stop and maybe the other one clicks. I might feel a sharp pain on one side of one of my knees...keep walking...and can almost feel it dissipate until it just goes away.

When I got home...ice for an hour, ibuprofen and a sandwich. Seriously considering another go at a walk later. Will have to see what the New Joints on the Block have to say...

Go Red Sox!
 
Bet it felt great just to be out and about again and see your buddies - very theraputic! Need that socialization time!
 
Bet it felt great just to be out and about again and see your buddies - very theraputic! Need that socialization time!

It's been awesome to get out and see folks. And interesting to hear people say things like, 'you look like you're walking fine.' LOL. They have no idea of the effort behind that. When I walk, I do so consciously try to maintain a decent gait. Depending on the day, there can be all kinds of aches, pains, soreness behind it and it feels weird to have actually think about every single step, but am grateful to be out there.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
Has your gait always been good? It’s very difficult for me to walk at almost 8 weeks out. My OS says I just need to build up quad strength. I’m trying to be patient, but it’s hard!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Hood1980 - I was still using a cane as my gait was not great at 8 weeks. And to have good gait I was walking quite slowly. My quads were very slow to come back.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom