Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

I have been away from posting much for a few weeks and I'm sorry to hear you are having such a time. I'm sure you are beyond frustrated but stay persistent like you always do. You know your body better than anyone, and just because your symptoms and pain issues don't fit the mold, doesn't mean they aren't real. I hope you get it sorted soon!

Stay strong and know we are here for you!

Dawn
 
Wow, @Pumpkln, I can't believe all you are going through and all you have gone through. I'm so sorry you are not doing so well right now. But on the up side, this will all be behind you at some point. I'm just chillin' out here-not literally as my a/c decided to go on the fritz yesterday in the hottest part of the day (it was 104 at the time) and they won't be able to get to me until Tuesday. But thankfully, we had a window unit in our shed so hubby brought it in here and I now have a cool bedroom. The downside to that is I'm stuck in here as the rest of the house makes me ill it's so hot. The up side is I'm elevating my knee a lot.........lol. Take care of that knee-rest and ice. Kim
 
Thanks Kim and Dawn for checking on my thread.
Quiet day, have my lists for tomorrow ready for the foot doctor.
 
I hope that he can help. sending you some prayers ! Take care. Tashia
 
@Pumpkln Hey Chris...I am excited about something I can now do that I haven't been able to do for years. I have been unable to go up and down stairs for years like an adult-rather I had to go up and down like a two year old. We don't really have stairs so yesterday we went out and there was a staircase there. I went up it without even thinking or realizing I was climbing stairs until I got to the top. Lightbulb moment! I just went up stairs! After we ran our errand I decided to see if I could go down also as I've only been able to go down like a two year old for years. I went down like a normal human without any pain or hesitation! Hurray for TKRs! Let me know how it goes for you with the doctor. Kim
 
Hi Chris, did you get to see a counsellor? I've tried really hard to not become dependent on my compression sleeve. Now given that up - I take what relief I can where I can. It seems like you have adopted a similar approach with your crutches. There was a time when I was ready to shoot the next person who said to me `give it time', but you are only 3 months out from a revision, and that knee of yours has gone through such a lot. The point I'm trying to make is that it would be a miracle if you were OK at this stage. So you keep your spirits up. x Carol
 
Hi Chris, did you get to see a counsellor?
My appointment is tomorrow morning.
The things that are helping keep my knee pain down, using crutches, following the mantra, not ruminating about my knee, thinking about it when appropriate to prepare for appointments etc., and patience.

Kim, great you can go up and down stairs, I can, but do not dare right now.


The point I'm trying to make is that it would be a miracle if you were OK at this stage.
Thanks Carol, I needed this reminder.

My poor knee has been inflammed since 1999, to expect it can settle down in a short time is unrealistic.

Good news, today my morning pain, after meds, is the lowest it has been since the surgery! My knee can and will feel better with time.
 
Saw the podiatrist today.
They took x rays, normal, strength test normal. Diagnosis: Tibial Varum (bowed), heel inverted (rolls out) and lacks ROM into eversion (pronation).
Right foot heel has limited eversion, but is within normal limits.
He does not want to make an orthotic to send to a lab, because he thinks I will need multiple adjustments to get it just right.
He also suggested an ankle foot orthosis to control the inversion, or an ankle brace.
I do not think I would tolerate either one, my leg is too sensitive to any pressure.
As a last resort he suggested a low tibial osteotomy to correct the tibial varum, no way I could handle that now, or ever.
He likes the insoles I got from Ali Med. He wanted me to go to Orthopro or Hanger, not where I want to go. I said I wanted to go to Acadian. I plan on being a lot more directive, and want to be there when they fabricate the orthotic. Looks like I am going to be learning a few new things.
Podiatrist suggested using the insoles from Ali Med to figure out what I need, then build an orthotic when we know what works.
In the mean time he wants me to try hiking boots with high tops to support my ankle, using my 5 degree full length wedges and see how that works for me.
I will start looking for hiking boots (argh, I hate shoe shopping).
On the way home I purchased some converse high tops, better than nothing, I can play with them using different lateral wedges.

Had a call from my primary's office, they are rescheduling my appt on Friday about pain meds. Looks like I may need a plan "B". By the time I got home I was only able to leave a message. I will be calling in the AM to follow through.
Right now plan "B" is a trip to the ER if needed. Do not want to go through another night of "I need anesthesia" pain levels.

Had another Black and White on the way home at the Red Hut Waffle and Ice Cream Parlor.
 
Hope you find a way to lessen your pain soon. But the hiking boots really will be stiffer and provide more support. Try the converse and see if your foot and ankle like it before spending money on good hiking boots. Have a good night.
 
@Pumpkln I wanted to pop in to see how the pain meds. have been sorted for you. I am glad you are able to tak the Tramadol. I couldn't take it for several reasons, but it tends to reeve people up, so I am not surprised you had trouble sleeping. @JustJeff had the same issue. I took it in the morning and stoped around noon.
What is Norco?
Take good care, I am sorry you are having so much pain,
~hopefaith
 
@hopefaith Norco is hydrococone with tylenol 325mg.
Meds are now up in the air with my Primary canceling my appt for Friday, I will reschedule tomorrow. As long as it is next week I should be OK. I will post here later.
Thanks for stopping by my thread.
 
Wow, @Pumpkln, you sure have to go through a lot between everything. I wish it were easier for you, so sorry it's not. I hope you can get everything handled and feel better soon. Kim
 
I wish I could send you some moments of being pain free but I can't so I will send you some prayers. :console2::console2::console2::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::wave::flwrysmile::friends::prayer: God bless. Tashia
 
@Pumpkln, I wish I had a magic wand to fix everything for you. You are having a really rough time of it at the moment. These revisions seem to solve one thing and then throw up more problems. Thinking of you and I hope you are able to resolve these problems. Over here, I only have to go to my GP and ask for medication and she will prescribe it. She is very good on that count.
 
@Pumpkln
Why was your appt. cancelled? How very frustrating for you!!! Does the Norco keep you at a decent pain level?
I feel so upset for you. You have been through so much.
As @tashia said many prayers. My emoticons aren't working.
~~hopefaith
 
Back
Top Bottom