Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision after infection questions

:yay: Yeah!, all the best tomorrow, let us know how you are doing when you have a chance.
Post #2 has the recovery articles for you.
 
My prayers are with you and your surgeon! Let us know how you are!
 
Surgery was yesterday. 2-1/2 hours but it went very well. I’m using methacarbomal, tramadol and meloxicam.

Staying in an immobilizer brace for two weeks, but can bare weight as tolerated.

Should go home tomorrow.
 
Headed home shortly. On a portable wound pump, in immobilizer brace for two weeks. Not swelling much and no bruising so far. Will be on oral antibiotics for 6 months. Brace required when up on walker, otherwise off when sitting our sleeping.

Medications sending home: Methocarbomal, Norco 10, Tramadol, aspirin, dulcolax + antibiotics

Very optimistic with this surgery and first few days!
 
Lotsa twinges and zingers in my knee. Still amazed at the lack of pain, swelling and bruising!
 
Day 6 post op and I’m not needing any pain meds. Very minimal swelling, I’m in an immobilizer til next Tuesday. Tomorrow’s my initial assessment at PT, no ROM yet, but hope to get started shortly.
 
Hi @pboedeker ! I found the revision surgery easier than the original. Maybe it was the mindset that I knew what to expect. I am happy yours is going well.
 
Two week checkup with X-rays and everything looks great. PT starts today working on range of motion. I’m already fully extended and flexion is almost 90 degrees so not much more to go. Strength training is needed, after 2 months without weight bearing. Still continue oral antibiotics til June :(
 
I'm glad the checkup went well.

90 degrees already is pretty good! (It's degrees, not %)
Don't be persuaded into working hard at exercises. Just the normal activities of daily living are enough at this stage.
Strength training should not start until about 3 months after surgery. Until then, your leg will gradually grow stronger anyway, as you use it.

Remember, it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
Hi, I’m just check in every few months to see how people are doing.
Wow your doing so well, your rom and pain control. You are very fortunate, good luck to you and be careful with that PT. You must have a very positive personality.
Have a good holiday.
 
My ROM previously (post 3/21 surgery) has been problematic. Never could straighten the knee nor get a bend beyond 90°. I’m in control of all ROM exercises now. The PT doesn’t attempt to increase what I’m comfortable with. I feel like this recovery is markedly easier than before. With so many surgeries, scar tissue build up may be a looming concern. The upper portion of my scar seems sticky? My surgeon doesn’t allow scar massage, either.
 
I had a TKR and a month later a washout for infection. While I was worried about scar tissue, my doc and PTs were not. My flexion was 109 four months post infection surgery, but continued to improve over a year later.
 
Today’s flex measurement is 108°! My surgeon recommends 110°, so now I’m just going to work on maintaining that range and eventually strengthening. I’m nearly 4 week’s post revision surgery and have had 3 PT sessions. Really pleased with this recovery after a horrible year of knee trouble!
 
108* at 3 weeks is amazing! Wow! Wonderful!

Have a wonderful Christmas!
 
That is fabulous! The best thing I’ve done for strengthening muscles around the knee is walking.
 
I’m glad to hear you are doing so well. Going through same thing ,also for strep b. Hearing how well you are doing gives me hope.
 
PT today and I’m at 110°, which is my surgeons goal for flexion!

I’ve had dermatitis on my knee since surgery. Anybody else have this issue and how did you treat it?
 
110 at a month post op is very good! Just be careful with putting anything near your incision at one month. I’d ask your doctor or send him a photo.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom