Knee Infection* Revision after infection questions

My issue is when I try to place my left ankle on my right knee. That bend and twist comes with some degree of discomfort and limited range of motion. Anyone else have this issue? If so, what therapy/exercises helped?
As I understand it, there are far more who cannot do that than can!
 
It’s been over a year now and my left TKR is doing quite well. One question for those of you who've recovered is about the range of motion that remains. I have 130° bend and 1-2° straight, so functionally I am able to walk with no impairment.

My issue is when I try to place my left ankle on my right knee. That bend and twist comes with some degree of discomfort and limited range of motion.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, what therapy/exercises helped?
I also can't do that "figure 4" type position, or sit cross legged, right now, but I'm not "OK" with it yet, because I'm only 4 months post op and am putting quite a bit of effort into regaining as much functionality as I can, in all sorts of directions. BTW, it is important to note that I was able to do that move, comfortably, 8 months before surgery, and that doesn't apply to many others.

In a couple months, if I have significant improvement, I'll post what I did to get rid of the "figure 4 problem" on my own recovery thread, without the physiology details. It might help some others.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll find that the flexibility to do bending and twisting motions will come with more time. Just as you do with your ROM after surgery, some gentle bending and stretching is the best way to work on those motions you want to return after surgery. Go easy on any torquing of your knee for now, though. Things are still healing inside and you want to be sure your body is ready to make that push. The torque (twisting) puts extra stress on your new joint which is not good at only 4 months out. As you do any movements, never go past the point of mild discomfort. Remember it's possible that you'll need a year or more to regain all or most of your pre-surgery flexibility.
 
I can do it but there is a slight misalignment that occurs as a result. Which becomes uncomfortable after just a few minutes of sitting in this position. But to achieve the level of flexibility I kneel down with my arms in a more rearward position and tilt my head back. Then try to push my butt to my heels. I do this about 3 times per week and it keeps me pretty limber.
 
It’s been almost a year and a half since my final revision surgery and my recovery has gone well. In the past couple of months, I’ve noticed a new sensation and wanted to check to see if others had similar. The scar on my left knee is much like a zigzag road. The scar starts on the outside above my knee travels down just below the kneecap, crosses across my leg and continues down my leg on the inside of that leg. It’s the lower part of the incision/scar that is now become fairly painful to any pressure. It’s sort of searing pain when enough pressure is applied to that area and it lasts for a few seconds.
 
Last edited:
It may be a good idea to check this with your surgeon.

I have a friend with a similar incision design. She was surprised how small my incision was. We had the same surgeon. Mine was a partial, though.
 
Having some stiffness and soreness. Random as I’ve had no real issues in 18 months. Does increased activity cause this? Been climbing stairs more often lately? When do you get concerned enough to see doctor?
 
Having some stiffness and soreness.
Does increased activity cause this?
Yes, increased activity of any sort can cause stiffness and soreness. If it lasts longer than a few days, your knee becomes warm and swollen, pain increasing, call your OS.
If it settles down with rest, it was probably too much activity.

It is 5+ years after my revision, it still can get stiff and sore if I do too much, a lot of stair climbing is a culprit for me.
 
Back
Top Bottom