Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

How does your leg look these days? And what about your pain levels and mobility? Any updates on those?

I am still bad about picking at the open wounds although they are gradually healing. I’m still resting, elevating, and icing as it’s so very easy to overdo. I’ve not fallen in several months which is a major blessing. My knee buckles at the 2-3 times a week but I’ve been able to catch my self.

The pain where the tibia is broken is getting worse as it hurts about 1/2 between knee and ankle if I walk too much (more than 10 minutes). According to the OS, there’s nothing to be done because the bone is surrounded by the tibial implant. OTOH, she wants to know about this pain. I’m sending a note today.

There is no improvement on mobility. I still use the walker 95% of the time. I do walk short distances in the house as long as my knee is locked and I stay close to walls and counters.

All of this is the main cause of the depression. I am so ready for things to be over.
 
I know you are ready for things to start improving. All this can be a drain on you mentally as well as physically. But I’m glad you’re staying in touch with your surgeon about pain levels. Has she provided any idea about what you can expect long term?

It might help stop your wound picking if you keep a large bandaid over them. I suggest you do that, as you know the constant picking at the scabs slows healing and risks infection. Another sneaky trick would be to keep your fingernails trimmed as short as possible. That makes it more difficult to mess with the scabs.
 
How about consciously wearing clothing that doesn’t allow for picking, or the temptation to because out of sight, out of mind. Or purchasing a fidget
object / toys of which you can find an array of by searching online.
Anything to avoid the risk of infection that picking may bring.
Best wishes!
 
How about putting a rubber band on your wrist and as soon as you start to pick, stretch out that rubber band and let it go. Ouch! Maybe that will help to break that picking habit you have developed.
 
@celynda … if you haven’t mentioned this problem with picking at your scabs to your counselor, please do. There can be a possible link between this and situations like stress that can be successfully treated and allow your wounds to properly heal. :console2:
 
It’s been a busy six weeks since my last update. The wounds are just about healed (YAY). There was a mental health component. My MH meds have been adjusted. Aug 25 marked the one year anniversary of the infection related surgeries.

I started a new job Aug 12 and am really excited. I’m working from home for an ex-colleague who reached out to me when she learned I was looking. I was out of work for just over a year, It’s a contract to hire so I expect to have health insurance just about the time COBRA ends in February.

Last week, my mom fell and broke her hip. It was a small crack at the top of the femur (intertrochanteric). She’s 84 with moderate Alzheimer’s. I went down to be her overnight advocate. Last Saturday, I was out with a friend and fell getting into her car. I badly twisted by right foot and broke the calcaneus bone. URGHHhhhhh.

The ER offered a boot or cast and declined both as I needed to be able to drive. I’m resting and icing. I see my OS on September 6 and if it’s not feeling. Better, will have her look at it.

The fun continues….
 
Hi and Happy Friday, celynda :wave:
I am sorry to read about the misstep and resulting fracture of your foot. Also the news about your mom. Hopefully she does well in her recovery.
Certainly some positives though, celynda...thankfully your wounds are healing and you found and started a new job that you're excited about. I hope it works out well for you as you continue to move forward.
Thanks for reaching out with an update, it was good to hear from you. Have a nice holiday weekend! :SUNsmile:
@celynda
 
Okie dokie, will edit to 2023! :thumb:
 
I should have realized, myself, that you were more than 16 days post any procedure!
I'll blame it on the time of day and not enough coffee...yet. :wink:
Have a good one, celynda!
 
@celynda, you have certainly been through the mill this past year. Your poor mom, and your falling and breaking your foot, what trials they are for you. Thankfully, though, your wound is healing and that's a good thing! I pray for your continued healing and that your mom gets along OK.
 
Even though you had a fall, your post is really filled with some great news. I’m so happy for you and look forward to more of the same.

I’m sending healing vibes for both you and your dear mother. It’s great you were available to be an advocate for her after her fall.
 
October Update -

The foot fracture is healing well and I can walk without pain. Yesterday I lost my balance and fell for the 8th time this year. Man, this falling thing is getting old. Fortunately, I've been very lucky and for the most part only injured my dignity and pride.

Today I signed up for Alexa Emergency Assist (only available in the US, I believe). It's peace of mind and much more convenient than wearing one of those "Help, I've fallen and can't get help pendants"

I also purchased a ByAcre rollator. It's very light (10 pounds) and I really like it so far. The hardest part is remembering to stand up straight and walk SLOWLY. It collapses easily for stowing in the car.

Christa
 
I’m so sorry you fell again. :console2: I’m glad you like the new rollator and that it’s light and easy to get in the car. My husband, and my aunt, had a standard 4 wheel rollator and I always had an awful time getting it in and out of the car. I’ll have to check this one out.
 
Christa,
So very sorry to read about your fall. Wondering if you are engaging in or considered balance exercises in an effort to prevent additional falls, lowering your risk of injury? Balance training and strengthening exercises may be beneficial at this point. Your local YMCA likely offers classes for those over 60, or may be able to point you in the direction of classes designed to address fall prevention and improve balance.

Believe it or not, diet can come into play also. Adequate protein, vitamins and minerals support muscle strength and coordination and proper hydration is also essential.
Hopefully you have removed safety hazards in the home such as clutter and loose or slippery rugs. Installed handrails for added support and use stair railings and non slip mats in tub / shower areas.
Footwear is important also. Supportive, well fitting, with non slip soles.
In addition, vision comes into play and it's important to have regular eye exams to address possible visual impairments that could affect balance.

Good to read that you're using assistive devices and found one you really like. Also, that you subscribed to the emergency assistance service which will give you peace of mind should you take another tumble.

Thankfully your foot fracture is healing and you're able to walk without pain.
We appreciate your update. I hope you have a good rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
@celynda
 
It's good to hear from you again, but hate to read of your falling again. I'm so glad you're not having foot pain anymore. When I broke my foot and ankle, but foot pain lingered longer than my ankle pain. Not having that, it a huge plus for you!

How is your wound healing going?
 
Wow, I can’t believe it’s been almost a year since my last update. All of the open sores on my incision have healed which is great. I’m back to work full-time since Aug 2024. The job is going great and I know I am adding value. The money is great so my stress level is greatly reduced. I’ve even traveled for work. Once to Kansas City and the week after Labor Day, I’m headed to Joplin, Mo for a week. Travel is frustrating but so far the airports and airlines have been really supportive.

I returned the ByAcre rollator after a few months as it proved too easy for it to come apart. I am back to a standard two wheeled walker.

I’ve been on Zepbound since January and am down 40 lbs over the last three years. Obviously, I can really exercise being forever to a walker. Since my appetite is greatly reduced, I’ve been using protein shakes (Fairlife Chocolate 42g) several times a week.

I see my OS every six months for X-rays and so far so good. The next visit is the end of September. I am looking forward to going to Costco, Trader Joe’s, and doing some retail therapy.

As always, I’m grateful for the love and support I’ve received from my fellow BoneSmarties.

Christa
 
That’s a great update, I’m so happy for you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom