Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Your leg is nothing short of amazing. I’m so happy for the good report on the graft. A lot of the praise goes to you for advocating for yourself and following the doctors’ guidance very closely as you recover. You have a great medical team on your side and things appear to be finally going in the right direction for you. :loveshwr:
 
IMG_1965.jpeg
IMG_1965.jpeg First cast on. Will stay until the 16th when stitches are removed.

Heading to rehab any minute now. Belongings packed and paperwork organized.

On to the next phase of recovery.
 
All the best to you as you begin this new part of your recovery journey. I’m so impressed by all you’ve accomplished so far. You are one strong cookie!
 
Best of luck!!!!
 
I’m settled in my room. It’s large and the view out the window is nice. I’ll see PT tomorrow so hope to be able to navigate myself using a wheelchair. Until then I am kind of stuck in the bed and dependent on the CNA/aides to get me to restroom.

Last night was horrible and I couldn’t get the leg in a comfy position and the pain was 10+. I was ready to pull all the bandages off in hopes of getting relief. Even a shot of Fentanyl didn’t completely cut it. Then around 3 am, I found a good position and was able to sleep.

Before discharge, the Ortho PA team replaced all of the bandages with a cast. For some reason the pain and muscle spasms have stopped and I’m very comfortable. Weird, huh.
 
It sounds like the support provided by the cast is doing its job and helping you with pain. It allows the muscles and other soft tissue to "disengage" which may be why you are experiencing less pain. I hope that continues for you. But you will likely experience a degree of muscle atrophy, so you'll have some recovery therapy needed for that once the cast is removed. It's a time for patience.....hang in there.
 
Having a good room and view sounds uplifting! The cast much be giving you the needed support and helping with the pain. That's a good thing!
 
Even though this facility is a Medicare 4 star facility, I am looking to move. The food is horrible and there are no choices. I’ve identified two alternates who mentioned cooked to order meals for rehab and also have four stars and good reviews.

While most of the staff is friendly and caring, there have been a few glitches that I not happy about. I was supposed to get a bath on Friday Night - Nope. I have some small hives and itchiness around the PICC line - I reported it yesterday and requested som Benadryl cream - still waiting. Today, one of the JP drains isn’t holding suction so it’s not working properly. I mentioned to the both day shift and night shift staff - still waiting for a solution.

My frustration level is pretty high now. I just got the evening meds including 10 mg Oxycontin and some visteril (sp?) for itching. I should feel better soon.

I planted purple carrot seeds in June and my friend who’s watching the dogs harvested them for me today. My first every attempt at growing a vegetable. The dogs enjoyed the carrots very much.

IMG_7827.jpeg
 
Wow, I’m sorry you’re not getting good care. :console2: Hopefully it will improve after the weekend, though that's a long time to wait, or you’ll be able to make a switch.
 
This is terrible service. I pray you can get out of there quickly. It sounds like they don't have enough caring caregivers where you are now.
 
I am sorry for the neglect in care. Recovery is difficult enough, your's is exceptionally challenging and you deserve better attention. I hope they step it up, or you're able to move. Best Wishes!
@celynda
 
Ugh! Wishing you a good resolution to this setback.
 
The drama continues. The upper JP drain stopped working yesterday. The bulb wouldn’t stay compressed. Turns out there’s a small cut in the tubing which is leaking.

The facility had no clue what to do other than send me back to the ER; so I called the OS office and was directed to have the on all doc paged. I did and she called back with 15 minutes. She directed us to use plastic tape to cover the cut. If this worked, great. If not, try Dermabond or NewSkin.

I explained this to my new SNF nurse and she brought the tape and we covered the cut. So far the suction is holding. :egypdance: with over 50 ml collected so far. Even though the suction stopped yesterday morning, the SNF didn‘t look at the tubing or do anything other then try compressing the bulb. I should have looked for a cut sooner. As soon as I found it, I called the OS.
 
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all this yourself. This happens with facilities sometimes. Quality of care can be a real issue. This is why being a strong advocate for yourself is so important.
 
The tape worked for a bit; I asked for the Dermabond and while they said yes, the Director of Nursing must have changed his mind. I took a nap. After a trip to the restroom, I discovered the tape was going. I called for the nurse (am still waiting) and then I called the hospital on call resident. I missed his first call back and now I’m waiting on the second. GRrrrr.

I am not sure why the facility is so reluctant to take care of this. The DON thinks that as long as I am not having a fever or showing signs of an infection, no action is required.

It is so frustrating!
 
Someone needs to educate that Director of Nursing about how to deal with joint replacement infections. Is there a wound doctor on your case that could step in? Or can they add one to your case?
 
That’s why I’ve called the OS. I still haven’t heard from the on call doc. I wonder if I should call 911 and return to the hospital ASAP or just wait until the morning and I can call the office.

I don’t know if they can replace the tube without surgery or what the options are. If I’m read it Ted to the hospital, I don’t know what happens to my room at the facility. I need to research bed hold some as insurance isn’t going to pay for both. Maybe I need to pack up my stuff?:umm:

1145 PM UPDATE: the night RN finally came in with plastic tape and the hole is covered and the suction is working. Still waiting on call from OS resident. I will definitely call OS office in the morning.
 
Last edited:
What an ordeal. I'm sorry.
I hope things are back on track today and you're receiving the care you deserve.
May this day be a good one. @celynda
 
What a nightmare you are going through at that place. I pray that you are doing well this morning.
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom