Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Your pain management plan looks like a good place to start. My only recommendation would be to talk with your prescribing doctor and possibly to up the Tylenol to 1000 mg doses if this list doesn’t keep pain controlled. This should be okay with what you list, as long as you don’t take more than 4000mg in any 24 hour period.

Sounds like you are prepared for any administrative fights. It’s a shame that you have to deal with this along with everything else, but that’s the reality of our medical system at times. Hang in there!!!!
 
Grr indeed! Though it does make sense for you to successfully transition off the IV morphine they can't provide.
Hang in there and give em (polite) hell on the prepay! Sending a big hug.
 
I’m going to call the facility in the morning and 1. See how they determined i needed to prepay $11k. 2. See if i can prepay on a weekly basis instead.

The pain is still at the 7-8 level so i know it will be a long recovery. When I ask about recovery time, I get “months” without a number. So depressing as I don’t even know when I could plan on looking for a new job. Maybe I’ll learn more on 9/6 which is the first post-op check.

Okay, pity party over for now. Thanks for listening.
 
We are still praying for your complete recovery and that your insurance drops that prepay!
 
Spoke to clinical rep from facility. The 11k is 30 days at $370 days. I’m trying to reach business office to discuss options. So not going anywhere until Monday or Tuesday. Sure hope insurance covers from Friday through hospital discharge.

According to hospitalist today, level of confidence that I’ll keep leg is high. So I’m feeling good. The bandage has shifted and is loose. Nurse or Wound Care will need to change it today.

My mother and brother arrive today for a short visit. Fingers crossed for a smooth visit.

That’s it for Saturday…
 
I am so glad to read that your family is visiting you. That is really good news. Also, great news about the optimism about keeping your leg! Things are looking up!
 
This is some welcome good news. I know it will be good to visit with your family for a bit. Hope the weekend is peaceful for you.
 
Friendship South is excellent! Both of my parents have done rehab there. They do excellent work and have great care. I don’t know about the prepay part - my parents are full Medicare. I hope you can get that sorted out. Wishing you a healthy recovery!
 
@VA Mom, thanks for the recommendation on Friendship South. I am hoping to get this resolved today as soon as possible. I’m not keen on prepaying but if that’s what I need to do, it’s what I need to do.

The leg has started itching more over the last few days. I feel like I just want to take a coat hanger and scratch the itch. Of course, I am not going to do that. We’re treating it with Benadryl and atarax which seems to help.

I am ready to leave this place… Rehab won’t be home but at least it’s one step closer.

The JP drain in the thigh is filling up pretty quickly (4-6 hours) which is new. The lower drain (knee) is draining less. Pain wise, it’s either a 2 or an 8 nothing in between. Still no ROM activates for at least 2-3 weeks.

I’m starting to job hunt again. Mainly because I need to show I am in order to continue getting unemployment. I feel it could be January before I could sit at a desk all day, which is the type of job (Instructional Design/Training Sr Manager), I’m looking for. I am also thinking about working part time. Unless I find the job of my dreams, I will start Social security when I turn 62 in March 2024.

Thanks for sticking with me though this wonderful journey.
 
Hopefully, you can get things worked out today and get out of that place!
 
Good news: the wound vac was removed this morning along with the rest of the dressing. The PA removed the dressing and staples. They then redressed it. Doc said I looked as good as expected.

Still have the two drains but the wounds are healing well. At tomorrow's appointment, they'll remove the dressing and put me in a cast from upper thigh to ankle 10 -12 days later, cast's removed and replaced with an immobilizer. I then may be able to start ROM PT.

Weight Bearing is still limited to transfer only.

@Jamie, for your notes… Dr Apel is NOT an OS, but he did the flap surgery and as he put it the “fun stuff.” I really like him and highly recommend him. It’ll be him who says when I can start ROM work and walk on it.
 
Will it be possible to get a photo of your leg when they do the bandage removal? I can't imagine what it would look like.
 
I agree….a photo would be very helpful for anyone else who may experience this. Thank you!

It appears that Dr. Appel is board certified as a hand and pediatric surgeon, but his bio with the hospital indicates he frequently takes on the more “specialized” and difficult cases. So, he definitely seems like a good person to be working with your knee.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Revision #3 Journey

As requested, Picture from note this morning. Here’s what the note said:

Dressings taken down this morning on rounds. Overall she looks great. She is 100% take of the skin graft. Wound Vac removed. Drain outputs are still too high to be removed. The rest of the skin is warm and well-perfused. See clinical photograph below. No skin necrosis. The wound was redressed with dry dressings. Partially her old splint was reused. She is going to follow-up tomorrow at Ion with Maggie Tuck. She needs to be put in a cylinder cast at that visit. See my operative note for full details of the postoperative plan. Follow the previously outlined postoperative plan.
 
Looks like a good report from your surgeon. Lots of positives! :yes!:
@celynda
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom