Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Add me to the mix. You're on the minds of many!
Healing hugs coming your way. :friends:
@celynda
 
OpReportP2.png OpReportP1.png
Good Morning Smarties! Here’s the PostOp Day 1 Update

Admins, please upate my title to Revision 3. Doc is calling it a revision rather than a washout as they replaces a number of parts as noted in attached OpReporP1.

The OS shared the following with my brother:
“The doc expects to talk with her tomorrow morning. He was able to clean it out as planned. There is more for them to discuss for the next 6 months to a year, so will let her get that info and share it tomorrow. “

Notes from my pre-op conversation with OS
  • This is way more serious than I wanted to think about.
  • The revision is two parts
    • Part 1 (OpReportP1 attached): Incision opened and an as much of the infection was removed. Then some parts remove (see report for list)
    • Part 2 (OpReporrtP2 attached): the team regowned/gloved and I was redraped.The parts were replaced and antibiotic stuff was placed. Leg closed up
Surgery Notes
  • I’ve not yet talked with OS so am not 100% clear on the Post-Op plan.
    • For example, a flap? And another surgery this week?
    • Are there any questions I should ask. Please post them.
  • We talked preo-op about the likelihood of success for this procedure and he was cautiously optimistic. I didn’t think the washout procedure could be done several times. I think the next step is an amputation. Which not on my list AT ALL.
  • I like the doctor and have confidence in his approach. He was able to review records from HSS which gave him the history.
Other Notes/Comments/Rants

Antibiotic: Ansef via IV
Pain control: scheduled Toradol; PRN: Oxy 20 mg q4, Fentanyl, IV. Q4, Morphine (IV) Q4.

I am starting to get scared and very depressed.

When I lost my job on June 24, I knew it when be harder to find a new remote job living in a small town in West Virginia. After the first couple of weeks, strike two hit me: I am a plus-sized 62 female. Even though employers aren’t supposed to use this information, they still do. This is when I started thinking about retiring early. I’m still crunching the numbers so don’t have a answer yet.

Strike 3 is the infection. The job hunt is on hold so I recover. At this point, I have no idea when I could restart the search. The closer it gets to the holidays, the less activity in the hiring market. So, I can’t realistically start until 2024, It could take 6 months to find a full time job needing my skills and talents (training and development strategy. This makes the part time/contact work more appealing and Retiring in March (when I hit 62). So many things to think about.

Then there’s the leg. It sound like the infection returning is likely and is setting me up for multiple surgeries. I would how many times my body can take? The one good thing about this COBRA so everything’s covered in 2023 (cost $600/month). I’ll pay for it as well in 2024. I turn 65 in 2027, so medical costs/insurance are on me for 2025 and 2027.

Amputation. No, no way, un uh, never. That’s my position today as I just can see it going well. Have no idea how long it would take for the surgery, recovery and rehab. Would definitely affect job hunt.

Thanks for reading and your support. The morphine is kicking in so I’ll end here and post after I’ve spoken with them OS.
 
How are you feeling today? It sounds like they did a thorough two-times clean-out job for your knee. I will continue to pray that the infection is completely gone, and never again rears its ugly head! God bless you, @celynda.
 
Hugs and prayers for peace of mind and perfect healing, celynda.
We're here for you! :prayer: :console2:
@celynda
 
So much to think about. Hopefully talking with your OS today will help clarify things for the immediate future. Try to take it one day at a time if you can. We are all here praying for you and sending you good vibes and wishes for healing. I’m so glad you made it through the surgery alright. :flwrysmile:
 
I'm heartened at you pulling through and that despite ongoing life issues there's hope for a decent outcome here.... Sending a heartfelt hug.
 
I’m so impressed with your “no nonsense” approach to dealing with this challenge in your recovery. You’re doing this just right….get good doctors, communicate well with them, take notes to document what is said so you can keep things straight as far as your options, weigh the alternatives, and just take things one step at a time. You are right that this type of infection is a very serious matter. But it does sound like your doctors are on it and I still feel you are in a good place to deal with it.

All this may mean a complete rethinking of what lies ahead for you in both the near and long-term future. You’re right to approach it cautiously and open your heart and mind to a range of possibilities. I have great faith in your ability to work through all that lies ahead. Use your friends, relatives, your BoneSmart family, or other trusted resources to talk through any options that you are unsure of. You will not only survive, you will flourish with whatever lies ahead! ((((HUGS)))))
 
According to the doctors, the washout went better than expected. :flwrysmile:

They are talking about doing a Gastroc Flap on Friday. Evidently, they’ll remove some Thigh muscle and pull the skin up across the knee to provide more skin that area for healing.

Still waiting to see OS and Infectious Disease doc.

Will post after meeting with them.
 
Wonderful update. I know it feels good to hear something positive. Praying for you still…..
 
OS just left. There are three issues.
1. Infection - responding well to antibiotics.
2. Skin - skin over knee is very thin and there’s a good size hole where you can see the metal parts of the implant. The flap surgery on Friday will take calf muscle and put it in the knee. Then a skin graft from the thigh to cover the knee. I think this is a correct description.
2. Patella tendon - I only have 10% left. Don’t think there’s anything they can do.

OS is thinking I can be discharged home on Tuesday. I’ll need to hire help as home help can’t come every day, I should spend most of my time with leg elevated toes over nose. After a couple of weeks, the immobilizer may be replace with a brace or cast. OS is thinking I should be able to use a walker instead of wheelchair. It may take a week or so for me to get back to full WB on the walker. He also said I’ll need help at home so I will probably need to hire help.

He also said I had more “life” today than yesterday. I would agree, definitely feel better. Still very fatigued and in pain but’s any improvement is good,

Christa
 
It is good to read that the infection is responding well to the antibiotics and thankfully you're feeling better.
I hope you're able to get some restorative rest overnight. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, it is encouraging to hear from you.
@celynda
 
He also said I had more “life” today than yesterday. I would agree, definitely feel better. Still very fatigued and in pain but’s any improvement is good,
That is really good news!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom