Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

The posts above are right on target. It’s not unusual to feel some depression with pain and the strong meds that are used to combat it. Being on your own in a strange place contributes to that too. It will be helpful if you let your nurses know exactly how you’re feeling so they can convey that to your doctors. No matter how strong your religious beliefs are (or are not), having the hospital Chaplain come talk with you will put a friend in your corner. See if you can have someone come chat with you today.

Most hospitals (especially the larger ones like you’re in) have a service called Patient Advocacy. Ask for it immediately since you have no one with you to speak on your behalf and help you weigh decisions. This person will have dealt with serious situations like yours and is trained in what options may be available for you.

You also have the right to speak with your current orthopedic doctor and the infection doctor who will take over your case tomorrow. It might be with a phone call, but it would give you the opportunity to explain how you’re feeling and ask the questions that are preying on your mind. You may get some resistance from the weekend nursing staff about speaking directly with these doctors, but this is a right that you have…..insist on it….and if you don’t get to talk with them, ask to speak to the nursing supervisor or even the person above them or even call the hospital complaint line that is probably located somewhere in your patient booklet. These are resources you deserve as an inpatient.

If you were in immediate danger of your life and the surgery was the only thing that might turn the tide, you can believe that your medical team would have you in the operating room immediately. Hospitals have doctors available 24/7 to deal with urgent cases….it’s not like they only work Monday through Friday. So, I am inclined to think that your case must at least be stable for the present and not in the critical life-threatening stage. Conversations with one or both of your main doctors will confirm this for you and give you more details about your status and why it’s okay to wait until Monday for surgery.

I agree with the suggestion to call your family and alert them to what is going on with you. Busy or not, they will want to know and can be a great source of mental support for you, even with just phone calls, emails, or texts. It’s also possible, if they are inclined, to speak with your doctors and nurses (you must sign documents to give this permission) so they can advocate for you via phone. This is done all the time.
 
am wondering why I should continue to fight.
What you have been through and are going through now is giving you the experience, knowledge, and sympathy to help others that might have to face what you have or even worse things. There is always someone else that you can help, even if it's just through prayers or good thoughts.

You are loved and needed by others and I'm sure your family would be extremely hurt if you didn't reach out to them. Please give them a chance.

I have known of people who have had MSSA, including my brother, and they ended up fine and with no lasting effects. You are in the best place and have a team of top-notch doctors on your case. Don't give up. You will get there, too.

Come here and talk to us. Someone is always here 24/7 for you to lean on. Bonesmart has lots of shoulders for you and people who will be rooting for you. You are NOT alone! We are a close-knit community of people who are here for each other.
 
@celynda , sending you love and prayers, and wishes for comfort, hope, and determination. There is a whole lot of positive energy coming at you from people all over the world. Please know that we are all pulling for you.
:console2:
 
I’ve requested a chaplain visit.

PT came by. I agreed to try and sit in the chair. As I was sitting on the side of the bed, PT noticed a puddle of pus on the floor. Fortunately, no pain. I saw it as a head start on debridement :) I got to chair and nurse removed dressing. There’s a golf-ball size hole in knee at bottom of femur. I really didn’t look after that.

She flushed a few times and dressed and re-wrapped with an ace bandage for a little compression.

I’m still chair waiting for her flush the IV. It’s Fentanyl time.

I think I cans handle the chair for a while. It’s cooler than the bed.
 
I agree, @sistersinhim, any way it leaves my body is a good thing. On the plus side, I didn’t feel a thing. It was a bit uncomfortable during the flushing but not too bad.

It’s okay in the chair. It’s cooler than the bed. PT was thrilled at my mobility in standing and walking to the chair with the walker. It’s nice to exceed very low expectations. :yes!:
 
Do you know the time of your surgery tomorrow?
 
Please do. We all want to know!

Are you feeling any better? Is your fever lower?
 
Thanks for the updates. They are a positive sign. Even small successes are important. I know things like a large hole in the incision can be a bit scary, but this is not uncommon with an infection and your new doctor should be able to direct some treatments such as a vacuum pump to help with the healing and any discharge after your washout tomorrow. Hang in there…..I do believe things will get better for you once you get under the care of the infectious disease doctor and the clean out is done.
 
Will be thinking of you and praying for the best possible outcome. May you have relief from your pain and healing for your knee.
 
We'll be waiting to hear how things went with your surgery and praying for your knee to be on the road to recovery. You have people all over the world who care about you and wish you well. Our BoneSmarties are a pretty close-knit family.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom