Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

My first knee was very painfully stiff following sleeping at night and prolonged sitting for three months, and that's with having been very quickly weight bearing and with good ROM ... so I think your stiffness is well within normal!

My newer knee is two months old and when I sit to draw I have to set a timer for 17 minutes. All I need then is a three minute walk in the house and sometimes to elevate for ten minutes.

It sounds to me like your in home and community walking is ample and sane!
 
What you are doing without adding in PT and exercises should be just fine for your rehab. You've already found that what you were doing in PT has set you back. That's bad PT. PT is supposed to help, not hurt! Your activities during the day are enough. Just listen to your knee and watch its reaction to things you do and avoid them and your recovery should be good.
 
Sad to hear about your father. :sad:

Ranting is what we are here for. We are all arguably pros at it by now. Great to hear, however, that you are moving forward! Keep stepping to your goals:dogwalk:
 
I tried the quad stretch @JusticeRider mentioned in post 443. I used my LR couch and it may be a bit high unless I balance on the edge. I felt the initial hip stretch but not really the quad stretch. I have a bench at the end of my bed and I’ll try that tonight. It’s shorter so it might not work.

I was at the market early this morning and back home resting within 45 minutes. I’m getting ready for the daily evening walk. Yesterday’s was 10 minutes with .2 miles distance with a slight uphill grade. Today, I’ll try for 15 minutes.
 
Hi @celynda I’m glad you found my post with the quad stretch description. It has been a really big help to me in improving flexion. I am thinking a couch is just too soft for the stretch to be effective. I use either our home gym weight bench, which is lightly padded, or my dining room table bench (hard as a rock) with a pillow under my head and lower back for comfort. I think you really need the firm surface to stabilize your body and keep you in position.

I measured my bench for reference and it is 18” high, and I think our weight bench is a couple inches lower. I am 5’5”. If you have a firmer surface you can try, that might work better. Please let me know how it goes!
 
Hello, Smarties, I am miserable. On Sunday, a headache and muscle aches started including a fever (100 -102.7) I no longer use the walker so have returned to using the wheelchair. I cannot put any weight on R knee. My GP thinks it’s rebound COVID. I barely managed to get myself to the doc for an X-ray. The lab techs weren’t able to draw blood so need to do that sometime soon.

I’m debating calling 911 or wait till the morning. Does anyone have any information on how COVID affects knee pain?
 
I have never heard of Covid affecting a knee, but I am certainly not an expert on it. Have you asked your doctor about it? I think it'd be a good idea to get a blood test as soon as possible. Did you do anything different to cause you extra pain? Are you seeing extra swelling in it? Is it red and hot?
 
I’m glad you decided to call 911. I’m assuming you’ve gone to the Emergency Room and they will do testing to get to the bottom of what’s going on. At a minimum, you should have a COVID test, standard lab bloodwork, and a chest x-ray to make sure you don’t have respiratory problems. Please let us know how you are once some testing is done. It certainly could be COVID, as it’s still out there infecting people …. although to a lesser degree now than during the pandemic.
 
I pray the doctors find what is making you so sick and will give you the correct medicine to get you back on your feet again. Please let us know how you are as soon as you are able. We care.
 
So sorry to hear about the infection. You definitely did the right thing going straight to hospital. I hope the knee is OK.
I had Strep A septicaemia about 3- 4 months after my PKR. Fortunately a week of IV antibiotics and a few weeks of oral antibiotics sorted it and my knee was fine. In the long run it hasn't affected my recovery- just made me a bit more nervous.
Just rest plenty, drink lots of fluids and don't worry about any knee exercises until you feel better.
 
These are probably dumb questions, but I’ll ask anyway. You’re seeing a local doctor right now? Have you contacted HSS and the surgeon who did the surgery?
 
I am so sorry to read this, celynda.
Hopefully you’re in good hands and confident in the care you’re receiving.
I wish you comfort and speedy relief. Will lift a prayer for your recovery.
Big hugs. :console2:
@celynda
 
Friday Update ~
Here’s what is scheduled and what is known. Some of this information is in no particular order.
  • DX is Septic Arthritis. Could someone change my flag tag to Infection.
  • While testing/growing the sample continues, Blood Cultures confirmed Gram Stain positive Cocci(sp) - Staph. Hopefully, infection disease can identify the specific strain and then determine a target antibiotic,
  • On Wednesday, local hospital transferred me to the local regional Level 1 Trauma Center in Roanoke, Virginia. After meeting with Medicine and Orthopedics, I was admitted to Medicine with Ortho following.
  • Thursday was a day of X-rays and blood and lap work. I was still running fevers, chills and sweats. Pain was a constant 8-9.
  • Surgical Plan:
    1. Use exisisting midline incision to open leg and remove as much of the infection as possible.
    2. Remove swapable parts
    3. Send cultures to Lab
    4. Remove all draping
    5. ReDrap
    6. Replace swapped parts
    7. Close with stitches
  • Use IV Antibiotics for a PIC line for six weeks. I am not sure I want to try mange the PiC Line on the daily basis.
  • Post Op WB and Mobility as tolerated
  • Surgery is targeted for Saturday if parts arrive, on-call OS can organize the 3-4 block of time. If not Sunday, than possible Monday.
  • Should spend 5 - 7 days is hospital after surgery
  • Discharge to SNF while on IV Antibiotics or Home if I can master the PIC line process.
  • I’ve put job hunting on hold for at least three months,
  • Looking budget and expenses to see if I can I retire in March 2024.
@Jamie, could you do that thing you do and let me you your thoughts on the following providers;
  1. Hospital System: Carilion Clinic
  2. Hospital Roanoke Memorial Hospital
  3. Surgeons (in hospital based group)
    1. Ben Coobs - possible Saturday surgeon
    2. Murello Adrados. Monday Surgeon
    3. John F Sloboda , third of five OS on the Joints team

As this is a team based practice, I have no say in the OS,

Are there any I should ask?

Thanks,
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom