THR Review after 1 year - is it necessary?

They look amazing @Mojo333 !!!! How long did it take until they looked like that? Did you use anything on them?

That was at four months out actually...and I think at three months I used a bit of Vitamin E cream.
I didnt want to rub anything into those incisions until I knew they were absolutely healed.
Of course, Active Skin Repair Hydrogel wasn't available then or I would have used that.
I also regularly use a light dab of organic coconut oil right after shower as I have seriously dry skin.

Last edited:
Actually that pic was at 6 months out.
Just to clarify.
You will be surprised at how your body can heal...

Well, for what it's worth (not much), @Fiona444, I think your scar looks great, so much better than mine. Of course, I am just six days out and I've developed nasty, bright red and oozy blisters (reaction to the surgical glue) so my scar area is a huge and frightening mess! Your scar isn't "gorgeous", other than you should be proud it's clean and healing, but looks like it's doing well--I want your scar! Very cool that you were able to, without thinking, walk the stairs normally. I am, of course, still doing the slow "the stair walk" for hip patients but I do remember how nice it felt with hip #1 when I took the stairs one at a time without thinking. I stopped mid-stairs and smiled. It's the little things that really are important some days. Hurray for you--you're doing great!

Oh you poor thing @Barbaraj ! Is your scar still dressed? My new dressing itches like crazy and the only thing that stops it is sitting on an ice pack. Not pleasant but I can take it off tomorrow. What will you do about the blisters? Have you anything to put on?

I reverted back to the stair walk for most of the afternoon as I was tired but it was so great to know when I am fresh I can do it. These little victories are so important I think. My friend came to see me today and it was lovely to catch up. i am a bit lonely not going to work and hubs at work but there are a few people who have said they will visit which will be lovely.

-I want your scar!

Scar envy! :rotfl:
Frankly, I don't like any of them. Especially the ones with staples. Reminds me of Frankenstein, lol.

Navigating the stairs toddler style is most common at this stage so the fact that you've already tackled them normally is impressive. Keep up the good work, you're doing great!
@Fiona444

Your scar looks very good, actually. I see what you mean, now.. it is rather horizontal, isn't it.??
you really are bouncing back form your rough start. so happy for you!

I asked my surgeon if he would use staples. Absolutely not he said, they are barbaric :heehee: I am glad he didnt either. The bandage comes off at 10.30 today and it will out for airing :rofsign:

Another first today that really does make me so happy. I was able to walk my dogs on my own and pick up after them. They are both big and can react to cats and dogs etc so needed to take care that they were focused on me rather than anything else and I took them separately. We were like 2 very old beings walking sloooooowly round the village :snork:. Considering they are both young and love to run it was wonderful to see them being so gentle. Very proud dog mum here

I asked my surgeon if he would use staples. Absolutely not he said, they are barbaric
Then his nurses weren't properly trained on how to remove them. I had a part in the design of those staples and the method of removal. But like all things, there is a correct way to do it and when done properly, they are totally painless!
Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?

@Fiona444 you are doing fantastic! Such a good feeling when the bandage comes off. Waiting for my steri strips to come off, they are starting to but it's going to be a while before they are totally gone.

Such good fur babies, taking a stroll with Mom and not doing silly things to hurt her.

Well I'm more than happy they were used on me and I want them used on me next time. Specially since I am sensitive to surgical adhesives like Steri-strips!

Well I'm more than happy they were used on me and I want them used on me next time. Specially since I am sensitive to surgical adhesives like Steri-strips!

Yes it seems like alot of people are sensitive to steri strips. I am sorry you are going to need a revision on your knee soon . I do hope it all goes well for you

Good morning, @Fiona444 Well, it's morning here in my neck of the woods but I can never figure out what it is in other parts of the world. Let's just say, "good day" to you! Wow, out walking dogs and feeling confident? Hurray for you! Bet it felt nice to get that bandage off--I was certainly happy to get that miserable blister inducing glue strip off this morning! Sure, the incision area is still raw and nasty looking but it feels better to know that the source of these little people is gone and presumably the blisters will start fading away now that the irritant is gone. Funny that although I tolerated the steri-strips last time the glue strip was a real problem. But whatever, it's gone and it's another day here in recovery land. Hope you make even niggling but continued good progress today.

Three weeks post op things i have learned.
Recovery is not a linear process. Some days feel great and other days more challenging
Energy drain is real
It is fun to surprise myself with things I thought I couldn’t do
The scar is bigger than I thought it would be.
I have no pain in the incision site and never have had any
The pain of healing is totally different to arthritis pain
It makes me feel rather childlike learning to do things again like walk properly :heehee:
It has given me a new perspective on disability
My hubs has been much better at caring for me and the dogs than I expected with endless patience
Physio is really helpful and I recommend it but keep in mind not to do anything that hurts
I have to be patient and realise that healing is a long journey
Pain control in the uk does not seem to be as good as in the US
I should have stood up for myself better in hospital re pain control
None of our recoveries are the same and I should not compare myself to others
It is easy to over do things and although i do it sometimes i recover quickly and get to do it all over again :rofsign:
I am quite creative and inventive with my limitations and disability aids
I am enjoying an extended period away from work although i feel guilty and don’t like that i am not being paid.
Being fit before surgery has really helped
Ice packs are my best friend and i never would have expected that as being cold is a big fear of mine
I sweat alot after surgery
Unexpected changes that are unrelated such as a mark/scab on my face that has not healed for years has gone!
Bonesmart is so important for support and advice pre and post op. I really don’t know how folks manage without it!

@Fiona444 So glad to read this site has helped you through this journey. It can be quite daunting at times. It does help to know there are others out there going through the same experience.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom