Guest viewing is limited

THR Review after 1 year - is it necessary?

So wonderful to read your great update, Fiona.
Love the pic of you and your furry friends. I recall you did have a great recovery. I also remember all of the walking you were doing...and early on it seemed.
Thanks for stopping by and sharing what your life is like one year post op.
Have a wonderful Summer!
@Fiona444
 
It was so nice to read your update. I remember reading your recovery pages last year when I was waiting for my surgery and here it is one year later. Your notes on recovery really helped me with the wait an d kept me focused on what was waiting for me. Happy one year anniversary. :dogwalk::dogwalk:
 
Happy hipaversary my hippie friend! Great to see you out with the pooches. :yes!: I SO agree with the thankfulness of getting our hips fixed last year before covid. I think it was actually good training for taking it easy and appreciating small things during lockdown. May you continue to enjoy life, bionically. :egypdance::dogwalk:
 
Hello everyone, I had my hip replaced in July 2019. I was extremely fortunate not to experience any issues at all. i have not seen my surgeon since and he has suggested a review with xray. My question is is this really necessary if I am not experiencing any problems? Thank you :)
 
Hello @Fiona444 - and welcome back.

I'm glad your hip is doing well.

I think it;s a good idea to have that one-year appointment. It's final check that all is well and your surgeon probably needs to confirm that for his/her records too.

By the way, I've merged your new thread with your old recovery thread, since we prefer you to only have one thread - and it provides a positive update to your recovery diary as well.
 
:wave: @Fiona444, my hippie sister and welcome back! Good to hear from you and that you're still doing awesome. I saw my OS at right around one year and he set me free but said to come back every two years for an X-Ray just the make sure nothing has changed.

Not sure if that is standard with all his patients or just for me since I also had soon so fusion that brought possible challenges to the table.
 
@Fiona444 Yes, it is strongly advisable to keep X-ray checks yearly. I can attest to that. Lots of things eventually show wear and tear, even early in the process. After 22 years one hip is showing signs of cup fretting the other hip was replaced less than 6 years after primary surgery. These things can’t be predicted. I remember a friend of mine who had hip replacement ..she was bending over to pick a flower in her garden... when pop went the joint and on to a revision..... she had no warning at all. So I always go in for yearly X-ray because I don’t want to be that lady in the story...just a simple yearly check Up. Like taking in the car for a oil check similar really. Take care of the hip and it will give you longer healthy performance.
 
Thank you ladies :)

@Elf1 Lovely to hear from you too hippy sister! I hope you are doing well? Lovely to see you here as an advisor now!

@Hippielife thank you for sharing your experience. Yes I agree that hip life is not guaranteed and things happen without warning. I am wary about dislocation etc and know its a possibility. I just wonder whether having a check up would prevent such incidents as in your friends case?

The reason I am wondering if it is strictly necessary is that my insurance won"t pay for my review so I will have to pay for the xray and consultation myself and it isnt cheap. My husband has recently lost his job due to the covid situation so we are trying to look after the pennies and cut down on expenses.
 
Hi, friend.
Good to hear you are doing well
Perhaps you could put off and reschedule for a few more months out until you get some settling done with finances.
My OS took x-rays at 1 year and it certainly was reassuring.
He was looking for bone growth and/or any loosening of the femoral stem.
 
Fiona444 it’s always a good idea to have xrays of the components. Glad to hear your going in for yearly checkup. This way you know how the joint components are wearing in the joint. components can wear down in the joint , and in some cases also components can loosen. These possibilities will show up in xrays , rather than fail without warning causing emergency response at no notice. I would rather have a prepared surgery team than emergency surgery.
 
Back
Top Bottom