THR Review after 1 year - is it necessary?

Today was another good day. I walked around the reservoir again with one of my dogs and managed it 5 minutes faster than previously which delighted me. Tomorrow, I am being a bit more adventurous and adding another mile or so and doing a walk that I often did pre surgery across country. I am so excited about that as I now feel I am getting back to what I like to call "proper walks". My right quad does not yet feel quite as strong as my left but I certainly wouldnt say it felt weak at all and I am looking forward to the time when they both feel nice and even again.

@Barbaraj I was very scared to walk my boys again to start, I felt very unsteady and fragile. However it was the dogs that gave me the confidence to walk them as they were SO very gentle and careful with me. They absolutely knew I was injured. I wonder how long that will last :roseshwr:

@julesglass yes the evenings are definitely a time when I need to be careful too. I still take my crutch out with me just in case but I carry it and still have comfort if I am tired I have it there. Sleep is MUCH better for me too. Lovely isnt it?

@leejaa I agree, I shouldnt feel guilty, but I think because I feel so well I think I am probably just about ready to think about going back for a few hours.....maybe :heehee:

Walk completed. It was a real first as it was proper countryside with long grass and some uneven territory. 4.2 miles covered and my friend said I was walking the normal pace we usually do. I am truly happy with that I was not expecting to be able to do any of my old walks before a few months out. Now I am just feeling as if I have worked my muscles which is how I would normally feel after a longish walk. I did draw the line at walking down a very narrow slippery path next to a river as I absolutely did not want to risk a slip. I took a trekking pole for stability but didn't use it much as legs felt strong. Me and dog are off for a nice nap now :sleep:

Gosh, Fiona, that is a pretty incredible report! On uneven ground, no less. I still use walking sticks on uneven ground. And one half of my day is still on a cane. You are doing really super and I am so happy for you. :loveshwr::loveshwr:

Last edited:
:wowspring:
Amazing...but dont you start worrying me now.:unsure:
Can't have you hit the ODIC before your One Month Hipversary :no-fin:

Hope the rest of your day is chillin':ice:

Gosh, Fiona, that is a pretty incredible report! On uneven ground, no less. I still use walking sticks on uneven ground. And one half of my day is still on a cane. You are doing really super and I am so happy for you. :loveshwr::loveshwr:

What an amazing achievement, @Fiona444 ! :wowspring:

You have certainly earned that nap! There will be no holding you back now!

:wowspring:
Amazing...but dont you start worrying me now.:unsure:
Can't have you hit the ODIC before your One Month Hipversary :no-fin:

Hope the rest of your day is chillin':ice:

Ah you lovely supportive ladies! No one is more surprised than me I promise you. The lady I walk with (we both have dogs and love long distance walking) had more or less planned to write the summer off for our walks and start again in the autumn if I was lucky. I think by the autumn it is possible that we will be back to pre op levels of 10 miles or so and hilly terrain. I promise not to join the ODIC club @Mojo333 :yes:. Despite what it sounds like I am being very careful and listening to my body or rather my hip. One thing I really hope I can do is take the fear of THR away from folk who are scared to have it done. One of my major fears was being out of action and unable to walk my dogs for any length of time and I am beyond grateful that is not the case.

I napped for 2.5 hours which is more than I get through the night :rofsign:

Good for you, @Fiona444, I think you are doing terrifically, and I agree posting stories about recoveries which are hopeful and positive will perhaps help those who are facing this surgery, or trying to decide whether to have it or not, and show them that--yes--although it's not the most fun thing to do, it's totally worth it in the end to be free of hip pain and, yes, you will be able to get back to doing the things you enjoy the most. For you it is being able to take long walks with your dog, for me it will be sitting for longer than 15 minutes so I can read without discomfort at some point. We're on our way!

@Fiona444 you are amazing! I am just so happy with your progress! Keep up the great recovery and definitely keep posting so others will see it is definitely worth it! Hoping I get cleared at my next follow up with OS so I can go to the pool at the gym and do some pool walking!.
:swim:

Oh you are so right @Barbaraj re having our own personal goals. I think if we are not clear what we want to achieve it can hinder the recovery process as the motivation simply is not there and it would be easy to just coast along and hope for the best.

@Elf1 swimming and gym will be in your very near future I would think! I am not sure when the swimming clearance is over here but it is something I would like to do. At the moment I still have a little scab on my scar so am not risking rubbing anything onto it or getting it too wet just now. The massaging can wait for a later date :snork:

@Fiona444 I'm impressed with your recovery. And really impressed that you used to walk 10 miles a day before hip problems. I was 58 when my husband and I hiked down into the grand canyon and back up total about 12 miles. Since then we only do 3 miles a day, before hip problems. So you are really rocking it!!!:walking:

Great stuff Fiona444 . You are right about the goals. I was a huge walker and runner and I believe I can the former in no time as I am now. It will only get better and it is such an achievement and to have your friends with you a plus.

@Cecropia 3 miles a day is great! Motion is lotion as they say. Gosh I bet the Grand Canyon was a wonderful sight?

@mikeycat I used to run a lot too but walking is just so much safer for the dodgy hip brigade. I am sure you will trudging miles very soon! Yes my friend has been such a great support and it is wonderful to have company

Good morning, @Fiona444 I hope another day where you're able to get out there and walking with the pooches. I am aiming, assuming a cooperative husband, to head down to the park to circle the perimeter not just three times like yesterday, but ooooh, maybe four times! I agree goals are important, realistic ones and even the crazy ones which are like happy daydreams even if they never come true. Have a great day!

Hi @Fiona444
Over four miles is great at less than one month post op. Avoiding the narrow slippery path down to the river was a good idea. No slipping and falling :bignono: Yikes...can you imagine?!
Having a friend to walk with certainly helps pass the time in addition to enjoying the company.
I hope you're having a perfect day across the pond.
Happy Thursday! :)

Go for the big 4 @Barbaraj :yahoo:Tell hubs its imperative for your survival

Yes @Layla falling would be horrendous! How scary would that be never mind how would I get up !

Thank you @Clipper. It has surprised me totally!

A gentle walk around the village today with the pooches as I was really tired. Another 2 hour nap in the day helped. I am not sleeping very well and just catching hours when I can. Today's big achievement was de fuzzing my legs. Honestly they looked awful after 3 weeks and from the knees down I am sure I would be mistaken for a man. Not a good look in shorts :heehee:. So I taped the razor to a stick and smeared on the husbands shaving foam with my long handled shoe horn and voila! Fuzz free legs at last

That was very creative and industrious. I am hairless. Have been for years since menopause--yippee something works. I couldn't have done that in a million.I would have cuts all over me.Sometimes the naps are better. I wasn't a napping person but found I could now as night sleep eluded me. Take it when and where you can I say.

Hey, I took your comments as a directive, @Fiona444, and I did complete four laps with a rest after two and then a totter to the car, trying (and probably failing) to maintain my dignity and grace as I flopped gratefully into the car seat. I was panting like a grampus at the end! I'm with @mikeycat with that shaving description, I would have been sliced to ribbons! But you are a lucky woman, mikeycat, if you were able to stop shaving with menopause. I stopped growing both underarm and leg hair when I was pregnant with my second daughter. Once I gave birth, the leg hair came roaring back unfortunately, although underarm hair disappeared for good. It was weird and I'd have preferred the opposite.

How scary would that be never mind how would I get up !

First, I hope you never fall. Second, if you do, hopefully you're not hurt.
Early on, getting up would not be a pretty sight, I'm sure. Very unladylike to say the least. :heehee:

I've heard of taping the razor to a paint stick before, also a ruler. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do, right?

Love your avatar. Nice to see your pretty face!
@Fiona444

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CoachMimi
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom