Guest viewing is limited

THR REM's Recovery Thread<

Wow, you were released to drive quickly!
I can believe you feel so tired. Two major surgeries within five weeks.
I realize people do it but your body was still working on healing from the first surgery.
Our body does it's best healing when we're asleep so take advantage and nap if you're able.
I think walking around the block twice, depending on the distance, seems like a lot at this point.

Icing is very helpful and usually the ice packs from the hospital are the bigger ones, mine was and it was my favorite. It was affixed to my leg pretty much every time I was sitting or laying down in those early weeks.

If you haven't already, go back and read through the articles in the Recovery Article, Celle left you up in post #6 There is an article on Icing and also check out the Activity Progression after THR as a rough guideline for activity at this point.

A great night to you!
@REM
 
Golly I’m not surprised you are tired after two replacements in such a short period of time. Hip replacement completely drains your energy. Don’t push youself to walk too far just a short stroll to get some fresh air should be enough. The same with the PT exercise. I stopped those right at the beginning as they were causing more harm than good.
I’m a firm believer that rest, ice and elevation is the best thing for hips. Couple with short walks. Take care
 
Don't feel the need to push yourself @REM ! As Jackie says, you are recovering from 2 major surgeries done in a short space of time. Your energy level will increase - just give it time. Did the icing help?
 
@Jackie222.
Thanks Jackie.
I did overdue my walk today. It was the first time I've walked all the way around it and should have stopped after the first go round. Left leg is sore now. Feeling it at my incision and in my butt cheek. Did ice it for a couple hours with my legs elevated and that did ease it off for awhile.
I see my OS tomorrow followed by pt right after that. Luckily they are in the same building so that works out well. My last pt is on 5-16 and I plan on asking the dr if he will right me out a release to work with no restrictions pre dated for 5-17 so I can get back to work. My short term disability pay ends 5-19 so need to get those pay checks rolling in again
 
@Jaycey.
Morning Jaycey.
Yes the ice did help. Wore off while I was sleeping which is why I'm up now. I don't sleep very much at night since I had the surgeries, legs ache and keep me awake. I've cut my pain meds down to one before bed but it doesn't last all night. Soon I will be off them once this script runs out so it's something I need to be preparing for.
 
Post-op energy drain is a killer...exhausted and sleep is elusive.
Ah...memories!
Hopefully your PT is easy does it stuff and stretching.
At risk of sounding like a broken record, keep up with that Ice. It is amazing for pain relief.
I feel for you on the sleep end...hard to get comfortable...especially with double trouble.
It does get better.
No pain meds helped much presurgery, but following suggestion from this forum...I took extra strength Tylenol at regular intervals, and it actually did help.
I was kind of shocked actually.
Keep the faith, and hope your day is sweet.
 
  • Like
Reactions: REM
@Layla.

Well I wouldn't say I was released to drive but my right hip is at week 10 and feels well enough to drive now. Left hip is at week 6 and that leg just has to sit there and rest while the other does all the work. I see my OS today and have pt right after that but before I go I will drive around my block to see how far yesterdays walk really and let you know.
 
So basically you released yourself to drive :nah: Too late to suggest you get permission.
If yesterday's walk has you in pain, it was too far.
Consider asking your OS about Extra Strength Tylenol for when you're hurting from over activity and I'd also
talk to him about the inability to sleep soundly due to aching legs. It sounds as though you may need some pain control to achieve restorative rest.

It's great PT isn't pushing you and leaving you on your own, but wondering what they're paid for :heehee:
Hope you have a good visit with the OS.
@REM
 
Had a good visit with my OS today. Lasted all of three minutes. Walked in asked how I felt. Told him 100% better. He asked if I had any questions I said yes. My last pt visit is on 5-16. Can you write me a release to work and pre date it for 5-17. He said sure. I followed him to check out he said give him an appointment for a year from now and write him a release to work no restrictions asked me when I qanted to return told him again. Shaked his hand and he was off with the wind. Got my release so I'm a happy camper right now.
 
Hi there,
Good news!
You have a few more weeks to rest up and heal. Then go back to work and take it s-l-o-w.
Enjoy the night!
@REM
 
@Layla.

I will. I have a good boss. He will work with me till I'm stronger and better healed. I was just checking out the library. A lot of good exercises and information in there. For me years worth. Have a good evening
 
WOW! 2hips that close and you're going back to work with no restrictions! At 10 weeks wit 1 hip I could easily overdo it when I would work around the house.
 
I've done some exercises since the day after my operation, most are just stretches and flexes. I never went to PT or saw any PT aside from the one session at the hospital. It's made a big difference in my strength and flexibility since the surgery. I don't know what you do for work but it's taken quite a while for me to build back to doing physical labor. I'm just starting to be able work physically with any endurance.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a materials manager so a lot of walking some machine maintenance fork lift operation. Mostly riding a desk though.
 
I would point out to members that the recommendation of this forum is
"Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess."
 
Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots.

True words. Really days for you.
Work will certainly be enough...energy drain is a killer.
:groan:
 
I just finished my walk around the block. Drove around it first.it's.90 of a mile. So my last walk was 1.8 miles. I only walked around once today. I think that was enough for me at this point. Took me twenty minutes to do it. Today my registration sticker for my Fatboy came in. Put it on my tag. She's ready to roll. Well, almost. She needs a bath and polished up. Sat for over a year now. Going to wait at least two more weeks so that my most recent surgery is at two months. Then just a short ride to see how I handle the next day.
 
Is give it a bit more time...but I can tell you are going to be an impatient patient.
Handle bar to thigh.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] REM's Recovery Thread<
    rps20171228_064502.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 221
Vroom Vroom Vroom....Lookout, here he comes! :hog:
 
Back
Top Bottom