THR REM's Recovery Thread<

@Mojo333 @Layla

Right leg. Only hurts when i put weight on it. My one year check up was supposed to be on Friday but i didn't go. Doctor telling me smoking can cause an infection in the joint that antibiotics may not be able to cure and the possibility he may have to cut off my leg is where my concern it's an infection came from. Maybe he was just trying to scare me away from smoking again. Main reason i didnt keep my one year appointment. Didn't want to get chewed out for not staying off cigs. Just going to get back on the ice and slow it down a bit. Not young anymore. Time to act my age.
 
Okay, but what is cancelling your One Year followup going to accomplish? Nothing really.
You can't wait until you quit smoking to face your OS again. I'm assuming both hips were replaced by the same surgeon, one month apart. Assuming again that your one year follow up was scheduled for March for both hips. In mentioning you canceled your appt last week in avoidance of the OS, I'm going to guess that was a followup on both hips?

You need to follow up so you know what you're dealing with. Look your OS in the eye and tell him you want to quit smoking but are lacking the determination and motivation. It is an addiction after all. You need help, so ask for options /info on smoking cessation, if he hasn't already provided it. Through an office visit you will hopefully receive the reassurance and the peace of mind that all is well with your hip. And while you're not young, you're not that old. God willing, you have a lot of life left in you. You need to take care of yourself and the first step is to reschedule your appt. Lecture over....I know you realize I care. Prayers for strength to do what you need to do.
@REM
 
@REM I wish I had a dollar for every time I stopped and started smoking. Even now, in the right circumstances, I can still find myself wanting one. There is no shame here.

What would be a real shame, though, would be not seeing the doctor, not truly knowing what's going on with your leg and not taking care of it now. I hope you will get your appointment rescheduled. The doctor's job us to help, not judge, you. And I bet he/she will be happy to do that. Hugs, as you make your decisions. :friends:
 
My intention was to quit smoking after BTHR, and I had cut down considerably, but I hate to say I have continued to smoke
Sounds to me like he's trying to preempt potential issues by bringing this up.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom