TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

I think so too, but I am dealing with another health condition and the symptoms can overlap.
It doesn't hurt to get it checked out given your circumstances, but the post op fatigue does hang on quite a while for many of us. It think it's part of the "recovery takes a year"--it's not just the knee itself but your body overall takes more than 12 weeks to get back to normal too.

16 week progress report: I'm doing well! If I have any pain at all it is fleeting in nature- rest and it's gone, no meds. I can climb and descend stairs foot over foot, but not with confidence. I work out at the gym and finish with 20 minutes on the elliptical- no problem. I can bike 10-15 miles without difficulty. I am now able to wear a variety of footwear, for example dressy boots and clogs. Last evening I went grocery shopping for the usual staples plus a stop at the in-store pharmacy. For the first time since surgery I made it all the way through the store and out to the car without pausing for my Captain Morgan impression. You know, this guy:
captain-morgan_custom-24997c9c0452ac1a908e515014a67896765496a1-s6-c30.jpg

I fully expect my limp to re-surface whenever I'm tired, because that's what it does. If/when it's gone for seven whole days in a row I will do my victory dance!

Diana, what a great report! I am so happy that you are doing so well. It is heartening to read a good report and know there is an end to some of this.

:cheers:To life, love, and loot! :cheers:

Great report! I'm also looking forward to the day that I don't need to worry about how long I'm walking or being on my feet too long.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Great stuff!
I am 8 weeks now and can't even do one step. I accidentally tried the other night, not thinking which foot to go up with first, and my other foot slammed down to protect me!
Do you think it's something I need to practice, or like most other things so far, will it just happen when it's ready?!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Doing stairs one foot at a time is an achievement, @Clipless . :yes!: :yay:

@sleepilu - don't worry about it yet. It can take as long as 4 months before you achieve it and often going down takes longer to achieve than going up. If you're going to try just one step one-footed, remember the motto, "Up with the good, down with the bad."

@sleepilu , I'm much farther along than you, so don't worry!!! I DO practice on an aerobic step (see pic below). My walker frames the step for support. It seemed like forever before I could step up and down without holding the walker. These steps typically come with riser attachments. I kept mine low until I could comfortably step up. I only increased the height a few weeks ago. The low height is 4 inches, and the risers add 2 more. One could totally practice on a low step in their home, or a book or something, but I like the convenience and stability of my "system" (step + walker). I keep it in my bedroom!
199406_vw_etz00_1023887107.jpg

Great report, Clipless! I like that step gizmo, too. At six months, I'm still struggling with going down steps pain free. I can do it, it just feels uncomfortable. I practice on two packages of typing paper, which is about 3.5 inches. But the stepper that you have would be much, much easier. Thanks for posting it.

Some great ideas here, thank you! I am up and down our flight of stairs at quite a speed now, but always good up bad down one step at a time!

Wow. I am really impressed with your recovery. How wonderful for you! What one piece of advice (or two, or three) would you give someone that is struggling?

@Janis , I don't think I have any advice except to follow the Bonesmart way! In no way do I advocate pushing yourself. I do push myself, but sensibly, and I'm a month plus ahead of you in recovery. I will return to my physically demanding job soon and I want to be ready. Trust me, I am already IN BED and exhausted! My knees feel fine, it's the rest of me that took a beating today. I climbed for miles into a headwind, arrrgh!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just over 20 weeks postop and I also still have so much trouble getting up in the morning. I seem to need a lot more sleep than I used to. Thankfully the waking up in the middle of the night thing seems to be over!

TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
I seem to need more sleep too. Again I am so happy to read these things. My last surgery was 8 weeks ago but between the 2 of them...it wiped me out.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15

I seem to need more sleep too. Again I am so happy to read these things. My last surgery was 8 weeks ago but between the 2 of them...it wiped me out.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
Just one big surgery (two in the span of a year) wiped me out- I can't imagine what you're going through after two TKR's in two months. Definitely rest as much as possible, take your vitamins, and eat right.

Great report! And I am sooooo jealous of your being able to wear regular shoes. I haven't worn anything but thick-soled tennis shoes in 5 years.

@iamshrdlu, my go-to for nicer occasions have been Dansko clogs- have you ever tried them? Sanitas clogs are good, too. Both come in a variety of pretty colors and textures. They don't hurt my knees at all. I just purchased a pair of platform heels because I need something dressier for date night. They're not super tall, but definitely more than I'm used to. I can walk fine- let's hope I don't fall off!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am six months out and my Garmin vivofit tells me how much deep sleep I am getting. The past month it has been a lot and I am sleeping 8-10 hours a night. My body has finally adjusted, which I am very happy about.

Nice ride Clipless! Still snow season here which is fine. Enjoying the snow!

I am six months out and my Garmin vivofit tells me how much deep sleep I am getting. The past month it has been a lot and I am sleeping 8-10 hours a night. My body has finally adjusted, which I am very happy about.

Nice ride Clipless! Still snow season here which is fine. Enjoying the snow!
I have beautiful cross-country skis and boots that I have never-ever used! That would be so much fun, and great exercise. I have xc skied before, and found it beautiful but exhausting. I couldn't get my layers right, but I'm sure you've got the apparel figured out. There is snow way up in our Sierras, unfortunately it's quite a haul for me to get there and I wouldn't want to go alone anyway. Maybe next winter I will recruit a buddy.

@Clipless I have heard of them, but never seen any in stores locally. I have been stuck with my "shock absorbers for the feet" (very thick, squishy soled tennis shoes) for the last 5 years. I packed away all of my other shoes (a larger collection than I had realized, and some heels I have had since college--the Candy's mules have come back in style twice now, except mine were wood soles and leather uppers and the new ones were cheaply made...and my girls 'stole' them each time they came back into fashion). I'll have to try the Dansko clogs. I've missed pretty shoes. I only have 2 pair of shoes anymore-- tennis shoes and slip-ons for around the house.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
leonardcotton
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom