Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

Ha! Totally understand. I am a Californian unwillingly moved to Tennessee. It is so darned cold here in the winter and I have already started using my heating blanket to go to sleep.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's true, we get used to our climates. It's been in the 50s at night up here in the Bay Area, and I have a blanket and my down comforter on. The Cryo Cuff adds to the chill. My poor husband is sweltering at night.
 
I lived 25 years in California, 19 in the Russian Hill District of San Francisco. I wish I were still there v


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tiger Balm Pain Relieving patches! I don't go much for "alternative" treatments, but my daughter sent me a bunch of these and I like them. Tiger Balm contains no actual pain medicine, therefore there is no conflict with prescribed drugs. Tiger Balm's active ingredients (menthol, camphor, capsicum) act, supposedly, as a counter-irritant that temporarily utilizes the same neurotransmitter pathways as pain, such that pain signals don't get through. Sort of. When wearing a Tiger Balm patch many people experience heat, but I get a cooling sensation. This morning I awoke with a crampy lower hamstring- I applied a Tiger Balm patch to the area and it feels good now.

Note that the patches smell a bit weird, and they are adhesive free- they cling rather than stick. I get no skin irritation at all. I have googled the heck out of this product and find no contraindications for use following knee replacement. Everyone have a great day!
 
72 at night? Too hot to sleep. :heehee:
 
Hi all! This a.m. I held my morning dose of Percocet, then DROVE for the first time since surgery! All because I needed candles for the jack-o-lanterns (I refuse to have a dark Halloween). It was not bad- at the grocery store I leaned on my cart a lot and got about half the items on my list. A lady who recently had both knees replaced approached me and we had a nice chat. Apparently I am an obvious TKR recipient. I went home, iced, and napped for two solid hours. Then I got up and did it again! It is nice to not be a shut-in anymore. Happy Halloween!!!
 
These little jaunts down the road to the store bring is a bit of a victory in that we see our lives returning to normal!
A lady who recently had both knees replaced approached me and we had a nice chat. Apparently I am an obvious TKR recipient.
I think there may be a type of "radar" and there certainly is a camaraderie!
 
Driving = FREEDOM!!! I was so so happy the day I was able to drive myself.

And before that when I was using Uber to go to/from PT, it seems like every other driver I had either had had regular knee surgery or a TKR. Weird! But at least they knew what I was going through and were extremely helpful!
 
Yay! Driving again! That's such a big step forward in your recovery.

Hope you enjoyed Halloween. We never used to have it in the UK - now there are kids all over dressed in scary outfits demanding sweets! My daughter said she had 40 trick or treat knocks on the door last night. We live in a really quiet area and we didn't have any but my grandkids enjoyed themselves and ate loads of sugar too!

Today is All Saints day followed tomorrow by All Souls Day. When I was a child we used to go to church to pray for deceased family and friends on All Souls Day.

Glad to hear you are recovering well.
 
Oh boy, my body did ache after yesterday's activities. We had probably close to 100 trick-or-treaters, most of them traveling in groups. I finally set up a chair near the front door because I was starting to hobble badly. My little dog loved greeting the kids and receiving extra pats. @SuperSnapper , I was so surprised to learn that Halloween has not traditionally been a big night in the U.K., since the celebration's roots are celtic. Here, often, the neighbors try to outdo each other with elaborate yard displays. Around the corner a man decorates his entire front yard and porch so well that I finally asked him how he has the resources: turns out he is a prop supervisor for Universal Studios! And, speaking of Universal, every year the theme park puts on an amazing month-long spooky event with monsters coming at you in the fog, and elaborate mazes themed to famous Hollywood horror films. Just down the hill from Universal, the community of Toluca Lake hosts a giant Halloween block party that is free for all. The city cooperates by dimming the street lights and providing security. Halloween is a favorite time of the year. Hopefully in 2016 I will be more participant than by-stander.

By the end of the evening ROM was definitely lost. I didn't try to force it or pedal the bike. I went straight to bed.
 
Sounds like we were both done in by celebrating Halloween. Was fun though, wasn't it? Would love to see your neighbor's professional display!
 
Ok. You are all inspiring me to get out of the house! I am at 4 weeks and have only left the house with the pt for Walks in my neighborhood. I can't image a full on movie just yet, But maybe a short grocery run. I'm jealous of all the Halloween fun you guys had. I live in a 55 and older area. So we never get trick or treaters
 
@Clipless Long before we ever celebrated Halloween here we had Mischief Night which was always on 4th November and was a night when people played tricks on their neighbours. This is all forgotten for the most part now and we just have Halloween Night like you do. It's been like this for about the last 20 years or so .It's becoming more and more elaborate with decorated gardens and parties and dressing up. The end of October, beginning of November was always a kind of spooky time but definitely not celebrated in the way we do today - in fact I was brought up as a Catholic and it was more of a religious event. I kind of wish we had stuck to our own traditions.
Hope you've taken care today after your busy evening.
 
Movies? Sounds great but I'm 3-1/2 weeks out and don't think I'm there yet. I have several volunteer group meetings coming up and I'm trying to decide if I could possibly sit in one of those little chairs for 60-90 minutes. The one group sent me flowers so I'm feeling massive guilt.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
No. It's too early to be going to meetings and sitting for so long. Sitting can sometimes cause pain -
Knee pain after sitting for a while .

Don't feel guilty. You owe it to yourself and to them to take care of yourself first right now. Make a good recovery by looking after yourself and you will be better able to help others later.
 
I have several volunteer group meetings coming up and I'm trying to decide if I could possibly sit in one of those little chairs for 60-90 minutes.

No. It's too early to be going to meetings and sitting for so long. Sitting can sometimes cause pain -
:iagree: It is much, much too early to be doing that. you will cause some serious discomfort as well as slow down your recovery.
 
I totally hear you, @BusterBeans and everyone, on guilt and over-doing; friends are insisting on taking me out for lunch today. I don't really want to go, but it's been almost a month since I've seen any of them so I said, "sure". Then my son reminded me that today is the last varsity cross country race of his high school running career and can I come cheer him on? Connor is fairly sensitive (for an 18 year old) in that he realizes I have difficulty getting around. He has reassured me several times that it's okay if I DON'T go, then immediately tells me he'll look for me in a certain place and suggests I bring a folding camp chair so I can sit. I want him to have great memories of this day, so I'll be there. Walking will be the tough part.

My knee? It's about par for the course, I think. When I'm on it too long it stiffens and aches.

So I'll pre-ice, meet my friends for lunch, ice & elevate at home x1 hour, then set out for the cross country finals. Based on patterns I have learned to expect, I'll pay for today tomorrow. :mcoffee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom