THR Recovery Roller Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a huge chicken... I thought I should write to ask for some guidance to something that I'm very afraid may be infection within my wound. I had my replacement exactly 15 days ago, and since then, I've been suturing a small yellow weepy discharge that nurses say is NORMAL.

However, today when I tried to change my dressing, it looked green...as in mucus green...I posted a picture below so you can see and scroll down on. There's no redness around the wound, just some swelling, and that green discharge... and I'm desperately wondering if even this type of suture is normal....Should I go to the hospital?? Please advice..

[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Roller Coaster
 
So pleased that you are seeing improvements each day.. You will get here CLG.. :)
 
Hi CLgirl. I'm tagging Josephine for you. But while you're waiting for her, I would also call the hospital and ask if you should be seen right away. Better to be safe whenever you're concerned about infection.

Sharon
 
CLG do you have a fever?

have you taken your temp?

Looking at your incision you have significant green discharge, I would call the hospital.
 
Thank you ladies, I will call the hospital right away. Good god... This is just what I needed. A blow to bring me down to my knees. I don't know if I can take any more.
 
CLG - main thing is not to panic... you need information and reassurance....

You have come through so much and you are stronger than you realise... we have stores of inner strength and you have already demonstrate that you have it...

We will be here waiting to get an update :)
 
CLG, I reduced the size of your image as it was far too big for the forum page.

As for the exudate, it is normal. It's just been discoloured by the residue of iodine prep on the skin. Plus it's just five very small spots and the wound is practically dry. If it was an infection, they would be a lot bigger, gooier and messier. It's all fine so stop panicking!
I'm desperately wondering if even this type of suture is normal
Looks fine to me - why do you think it is ABnormal?
 
CookingLoverGirl - how are you feeling my friend? Sounds like you had a bit of a scare. Don't feel bad - I was worried about everything post-op. You are tired and trying to figure out how to cope with all this. Rest if you can and ice and elevate. You'll make it through - fear not! :console2:
 
CLG hope you are feeling better this morning.Things will get better very soon.. I can hardly remember the surgery and early recovery weeks. You can do this, you are strong!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Roller Coaster
CookingLoverGirl, I have merged, for the second time, your two recovery threads as we prefer that everything about your recovery remain in one thread so all your info is together. Makes it much easier when answering your questions or addressing your concerns. Please post questions, concerns, or just something you want to share in this one thread. Thanks for your cooperation.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. Happy [Bonesmart.org] Recovery Roller Coaster
 
Hi cookinglovergirl,

I'm not a surgical nurse, but that does look like the color of betidine or some iodine product. As you know, the major markers for infection are heat and swelling, along with a nasty discharge. But if it was me, and I still had concerns, I'd have it checked out.

Good luck!
 
Thank you so much guys for your reassurance, I should clarify that I haven't had any Betadine on it for weeks now, so the green residue is not a result of that. With that said, I'm about to call my nurses :-( please please wish me luck. I am really terrified of an infection. My father may face amputation due to an infection he contracted in his knee replacement, so I really have reasons to be scared. I draw strength and support from your posts, and I truly appreciate them. I will post an update soon.

P.s. thank you bottomshollow for merging the threads. You had mentioned slmething recently about changing the title too. You can change the title to "recovery roller coaster" I think that fits, thank you again for helping me keep these threads organized. My brain is all over the place.
 
You HAVE been on a roller coaster....I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that the discharge is just a normal one and that each day gets you closer to a normal recovery...which is always slightly rocky anyway. There really are great benefits at the end of this journey, and I'm looking forward to the day when you recognize that they have arrived. :)

Sharon
 
CLG,

Be sure to let us know your status as soon as you talk to the docs!! Thinking about you and sending warm vibes your way!! :SUNsmile:

Peace out,

Michelle
 
I should clarify that I haven't had any Betadine on it for weeks now, so the green residue is not a result of that.
But your surgery date is the 16th Jan, that's only 2½ weeks ago. That providone iodine hangs around for ages and the dressing is just spotted and the rest of it is totally clean. I will eat my frilly cap if it's anything more than perfectly normal exudate.
 
Hi cookinglovergirl , I am no nurse either but I have feeling jospehine is right god bless her!!! My prayers are with you and I honest feel your outcome will be phenomenal we just have to get rid of our last few storm clouds to let the sunshine rise through once again . Let us know how you go , lucky I finally tracked your post thread down so I can keep in contact .

Healing vibes and love to you xxxxxxxx
 
CLG, I'm so sorry for all the downs you have experienced. Do let us know what your nurses say. We are all pulling for you here. I'm sorry about your dad, too.
 
Keeping you in my prayers! It will get better, try to hang in there and keep us all posted as to what you find out!
 
Hi CLG, I hope this helps my left hip took almost a month to heal, it did ooze all maner of strange colours of gunk. The nurses redressed and checked it for me twice a week. It was never hot or red but it is a bit disturbing when you see the discharge.

Almost 4 months since mine and the scars are flat and faded, I used Bio oil Vitamin E oil and some Silicon dressings as my scars were very rasied like keloid scars.

It is a rollercoster and we cant get off but the journey does flatten out towards the end
 
CLG - my incision finally lost its last little scabby bit today after 10 weeks! It kept weeping a little bit when I disturbed it by turning on that side in my sleep. I couldn't keep a dressing on as my skin started to react even to hypoallergenic plasters but was reassured by a nurse (sister-in-law!) that so long as the area wasn't hot, red and angry it was not infected. I can understand why you are so worried but at least you can "ask the experts" on here.
Josephine Do you still have a frilly cap? Would be very chewy!
Anyway, my husband suddenly commented last night "your getting up and walking is getting better all the time" which was very encouraging. You will get better - just keep thinking positively and feel all the love and good wishes coming your way.
Best wishes Anne
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom