Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery Roller Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, such bad luck! I'm so sorry about the fracture. Beth had one, too, and may be able to offer some advice from a little farther down the road to recover. bellaroma, any words of wisdom or support? And BTW, inquiring minds want to know what you're up to so please update your thread:snork:
 
Hi cookinglovergirl I am so proud of you getting through the operation!! The fracture was unforeseen but I am sure your team have dealt with this literally thousands of times and hopefully will give you the best possible care . I hope to goodness they are giving you proper pain control until your body heals properly . Whenever your up to it please update so I know your doing ok my love and best wishes in the world are coming your way . Stay strong and positive and I know you will get through this and be cooking delicious recipes again to tell me about in no time !!!!
 
HELLO EVERYONE!! I am back!!
I have missed writing here SO much!!! Today is the first day I can say that I feel alive, and I am strong enough again to type. The last few days were horrid, so much to the point that I hit rock bottom and the pain made me think of death and I much preferred it to the struggle I faced every time I moved. I came to think to myself something along the lines of "I hope I can just die soon if this is to last too long"... Because it's hard to be positive with a body racked by pain, overwhelming nausea, and weakness so heavy, it dawns on the soul and zaps life away.

I found that the fracture has been hurting me, but it's protected by a wire of some sort in order to keep it from cracking open. As for the wound, it's been healing well, but the pain and nausea have been something else, along with almost regressing to the ER after 5 days of NO bowel movements. This all had me pretty sick to my stomach and weak, thus causing all the insanity in my body. I had to quit Norco because of the horrible negative reactions I've had to it, :eeeuw: so I'm about to see if I can get something that does NOT cause nausea. That's a bigger complaint to me than the pain, for reasons that I happen to hate nausea very much. So on day 6, I'm living with a lot of pain, but the nausea has lifted, and I can again check my phone, read longer than just a few lines, I can also get up and take myself to the commode...Without nausea, the possiblities are endless. I realize I'm too young to let go, and I desperately hope that things are going as they should... With that said, I wanted to ask you all for a little bit of advice... I was wondering if thigh pain is something that is common? if so, does it ever go away?? is it weak muscles? The thigh pain I have is not in the wound, but rather below it...I guess it's that fracture, but I had once heard other people experience the pain. I just want to make sure it goes away because it's quite bad :(

On a brighter note, how is everyone?? Please share how you all have been doing, and THANK YOU :thankyou: so much for your kind words, for your encouragement, I read EVERY SINGLE one of your posts, and I am so deeply appreciative of what you had to say, I was anxiously waiting for some improvement so I could come back and thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart. I have eagerly taken your words to heart, for this is a toughie, and you guys are my IV of strength :)
 
CookingLoverGirl it's so good to hear from you again! I kept wondering how you were doing and it sounds like youv'e been having an awful time. Glad that you feel like you're back in the land of the living again and just hope you can have some meds that don't make you feel so ill. Anyway, the thigh pain might not be as a result of the fracture. I have it myself and i'm sure I remember reading about it somewhere pre op but can't find it again. My wound/hip pain is no bother but the thigh pain can be pretty awful especially at night. Mine seems to be coming from about 2/3rds the way down my thigh and radiate up and down from there, sometimes as far as my ankle. It's far worse at night and I can only get relief by putting my knees up - I wouldn't recommend that though because I have then dozed and knees have fallen sideways breaking the hip precautions - scary! I did ask the physio about it in hospital and she said not to worry - it would be a result of being fixed in extreme position and use of tourniquets during surgery. I imagine your surgery would be a lot longer than usual so it all makes sense. However, it might be something else altogether - it would be good to get Josephine's opinion on this but I don't know how to summon her - I'll try to find out.
In the meantime, take care and know that you have been through the worst - the only way is up now baby!

Lots of hugs

UK Diane xxxxxx
 
Thigh pain is quite common, there is a lot of trauma during surgery.. It will settle down. I appreciate every little pain is scary in the early days/weeks.. Perfectly normal.. Come and ask your questions. :)

lovegardening not wanting to derail CLG's thread, but a couple of suggestions.. Use Lots of pillows in bed to support yourself.. Are you laying on your back? Also try ice packs at night, I used them everywhere, not just for swelling and found they were and occasionally still are helpful. I used to fall a sleepy with them in place. Try popping a pillow under your leg rather than raising your knees and falling asleep like that. It really is very individual trying to get comfortable in bed.. I used heaps of pillows, propped myself up, laid them at my sides.. had them everywhere to ensure I wouldn't break the restrictions..
 
Hi there, good to see the sun is peaking out for you. I agree with Poppet that many of us experience thigh pain at this stage. Those of us who have more complex THR's and/or much longer surgeries because of complications like fractures can probably expect a little more post-surgical pain, which is why it is especially important that you get your pain under control and take adequate meds regularly by the clock. I am sorry about the nausea, it sounds awful. And your poor bowels....how traumatic. I do know what that is like. I hope you have stocked up with prunes, yogurt drinks and stool softeners because its a frustrating thing to deal with on top of the rest of recovery. Don't give up: it does get better. A pillow under the knee (not a small one) really helps, plus try another one under your heels as they tend to get sore lying on your back. Please don't forget that the post-op blues are normal and will hit you from time to time. This might be the moment to re-read through the articles on recovery, even check out other peoples' threads, they are very reassuring. Hang in there, use lots of ice and try to watch tv and take your mind off it. Use this time of limited weight bearing to rest, rest, rest. This difficult post-op time will soon be just a vague memory! Sending love, Vicki.
 
So sorry to hear about your difficulties. Things will get better! I know at times it seems so frustrating and impossible with no light at the end of the tunnel but you are young and strong and you will come through this even stronger! Hang in there!!
 
Hi Cookinglovergirl,

You're still in a very rough part of recovery, especially with the fracture. Are you following some Hip Precautions, even though you were an Anterior, as I remember. Everyone is giving you good advice to take it easy, except for PT appointments. And you may not be ready for PT.

May I ask what medications you are taking? Nausea is usually med related. But you need to find something stronger that works. And they can give you vistaril with pain meds to control nausea.

I don't like Tramadol, but it may help, as it works on pain, but also has anti-depressant properties. Just don't take it for more than a month!

But it's Ok to spend most of your time down, except for exercises. Ask other family member to cook. I doubt they'll be as good as you, but this is a time you need pampering. 6 days is nothing when you've had a fracture in addition to a normal THR.

Good luck and there's some good advice on this thread.

Beat,

T.H
 
Hi, Cookinglovergirl.....I"m glad you're in recovery, but so sorry to hear all the discomfort you've had to go through!!! Hon, I know it's tough, but it is temporary and things WILL get better!!! You have a wonderful life to look forward to and you will get there. Don't every hesitate to tell your medical team when something isn't getting the job done in terms of comfort or pain relief. They have many, many choices and options so insist that they keep trying until they find what works for you. Our bodies are such individual machines that what works well on one or even most might not be best for you. But there is a solution out there!!!

Once you get proper pain management, things will look brighter. As you now know, pain can color your entire outlook on life! This is why we preach so hard about taking pain meds as prescribed on a schedule. It can really make a difference in recovery.

Please keep us up to date on how you're doing. You know we're right here to support you. Your BoneSmart family cares about you!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Roller Coaster
so sorry, Finn, that your move to the "other side" has been a painful, nauseating one. But things can only get better from here on. And do find the right meds to manage your pain without nausea because pain interferes with healing. Remember to follow the mantra:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Take care, keep us posted, we care. [Bonesmart.org] Recovery Roller Coaster
 
Thank you so much everyone!!! Your encouragement, prayers, and positive vibes have all WORKED!!! I am doing SO much better!! I have improved dramatically and couldn't be more grateful about it. I have done most of my exersices with ease, and I can move about much more, and the pain? It's amazingly tolerable. I'm very pleased and relieved. I thought I was in for eternally hellish pain, but it doesn't seem that way anymore. Thank you again for your kind words!!
 
Hi there, I had alot of thigh pain and I forgot to mention in our conversation that I was not allowed to do straight leg raises with the fracture, so be very careful in PT, especially with the fracture if it hurts do not do it. The pain should get less each day, on occasion you will go backward but slow and steady wins the race. With my fracture I still would get up each hour and walk around the house on my crutches, matter of fact I still do that. I iced alot in the beginning, usually every 2 hours. Ice really is your friend. As far as pain management, have you discussed with your doc, pills that may not cause as much nausea/ or smaller does? I have nausea to so I know what you mean, would rather have pain. Just remember we are here for you and sending good hippy vibes your way. Be prepared for the impatience part to kick in as you start to feel better, as that's when the no wieghtbearing or partial weightbearing starts to drive you crazy. Even with the fractur I am very happy with my new hip and am amazed at the mobility in it. Sending Postive hippy vibed you way.
 
CookingLoverGirl, I have merged your two recovery threads as we prefer that everything about your recovery remain in one thread so all your info is together. Makes it much easier when answering questions or addressing concerns. Thanks for your cooperation.

I was wondering if you would like to change the title of this thread since you're almost 2 weeks post op now. If you would, just tag me and let me know what you'd like it changed to.

Hope everything continues to go well with you.
 
Hi CL
Awesome you are ok. I Know the pain is rough but hang in there.
 
So glad you are doing so much better! I am 6 weeks post op and still have thigh pain. Everything else is good and will be for you soon. Thank God you are over the worst of it and will continue to get better. Keep us posted on how you are. Maybe a little cooking is in order to make you feel better :)
 
Hi CookingLoverGirl !!!! how are you !?!, god if you wer in aus i would have visited you and brought you a brand new cookbook and prayed you did nto have it!!.

Arent we champions along with evrybody else getting this done, i think tbhe hardest part is keeping th efaith that every day is better and that normal movement will be restored. When the storm clouds settle man they settle in low!!, Onwrads and Upwards i say!!!, let the sun shine bright on us !!! xoxoxoox
 
Thank you so much everyone! Indeed these are signs of recovery, and it does get bettter every day!

Vilebyrd - I read about how you were able to get up from your car and walk smoothly---It gives me so much hope!!!

@stargirl- I hope you're doing great! Please continue to share about your recovery, I always look forward to reading your updates!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom