Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery Roller Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck CLG.. It will all happen very quickly when you get to hospital.. and remember that for your medical team this is their day job.. and their total focus is YOU..

We will be waiting for you on the road to recovery :) CookingLoverGirl
 
Best of luck Cookinglovergirl, Just relax and let all the professionals you hired do their job. Before you know it you'll be back in your room and on your way to recovery. It's a great feeling getting rid of that nasty old hip and moving forward with life....
 
Welcome and good luck. In the hospital they will do everything that is needed. Just make sure your Pain is taken care off. See ya on the other side. Take care. Tashia Make sure you rest, elevate, ice and pain control. Very important
 
I am young like you and also like you was sooooooo scared! But honestly, I have done amazing! And so will YOU!! I think being young has made a very big difference in my recovery. I am 4 weeks out and doing very well. I was walking without aid after 1 week. Also my pain has been very minimal. Right after surgery I was hurting, but once I got that under control, I have been great! Best of luck to you and keep us posted!!! :)
 
Hi Cookinglovergirl! By now you have had your surgery. Hope your recovery is going well! Looking forward to reading how your are doing on the other side. Blessings to you!
 
Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and thoughts. You have once more helped renew my faith in all this. I lost it for a good couple of days. My surgery went well, but unfortunately my surgeon fractured my femur since it was fragile, and I am not allowed to walk for long. I have been in excruciating pain that morphine has done very little to assuage. It has been the most difficult 3 days of my life, and I dont know how I will make it. Other than your encouragement, I know no other way currently, for the pain is too great, and the side effects (nausea and weakness) have kept me very sour faced.
 
Oh cookinglovergirl

So sorry you are going through this. My prayers are with you!! Hang in there for brighter days are ahead!!!!! :flwrysmile:
 
Hang in there CLG things will get better.:flwrysmile: I too had a fracture and found ice to be my best friend during the first few weeks. Ice twenty minutes on and twenty minutes off when awake. Ice really helped with keeping the pain down. :friends: Sleep whenever you feel tired. Sleep is so healing. :yes!:
 
Welcome to the fracture club .... none of us want to join but unfortunately these things happen. Please ask the staff to find something that works better to reduce your pain. You should not have to suffer so much. Get as much rest as you can, make sure they bring you lots of ice and above all, try not to worry. There are lots of good people here who know what its like to experience a fracture during THR and we will be here to offer moral support. After 10 weeks, I can barely remember the hospital and/or the surgery. Trust me, it will soon be behind you. Lots of love and bone mending vibes headed your way. Vicki
 
How are you doing? I thought I would check in and see how you are doing. Did I understand you right, are you had a joint replacement? Or did you brake a bone? I just reread and both happened. I am so sorry. If you are in pain please get it under control. If that means ringing the pager ever few minutes, do. I will get page a couple that will have more idea than me.Josephine Jamie I know this will help. Take care. Tashia
 
CookingLoverGirl

I would imagine you are still in shock, pain and a little frustrated... It is always disappointing when a fracture occurs during surgery.. Let us know when you feel up to it as to how the surgeon handled it, where the fracture occurred and if it was wired?

I hope they can sort out your pain medication protocol, it is important for you to not be in any additional pain right now...

Take care, we are thinking of you :)
 
CookingLoverGirl I moved your thread into the recovery forum for you. You can post in here now.

It's a terrible shame what has happened to you but what it worse that you don't appear to have good pain management. Under those circumstances, I would have thought a multimodal approach would have been better as just one medication often fails to do the job.

Are you home yet?
 
Hey CookingLoverGirl!!!!!

OMG!!! I just arrived home today (Saturday) and am so sorry to hear about your fracture!!!!!! Oh no!!!! And your pain! My God, that's terrible!! My surgery went really well and my weight bearing status is WBAT (weight bearing as tolerated), so I'm able to fully bear weight on my operated leg. And I feel great!! And was hoping I'd hear that you did, too, because we did this at the same time!!!! :sorry:

How is your pain today? Not sure what day that last post of yours was (and it says your surgery was on the 16th, but it was the 15th, right?). How are your spirits? I hope they've improved!!! I went into surgery at 2pm on Tuesday and woke up at 4pm in recovery. After the spinal anaesthetic wore off, I could definitely feel some pain and I'd say that it wasn't really totally under control until Thursday morning. It wasn't terrible, but I was definitely uncomfortable all day Wednesday. Woke up feeling MUCH better on Thursday, though. They had me up and walking with a walker on Wednesday--just to the doorway of my hospital room and back to my bed. I really wasn't feeling great Wednesday, though, and threw up three times that day. Not a lot, but did throw up. Wasn't expecting that nausea. I was on a hydromorphone pump and I did pump pretty much every five minutes, so I guess it was the drugs. I was a hot mess!! Feeling uncomfortable and all drugged up--was very weepy on Wednesday. Was actually weepy for my hospital stay, which is very unlike me. Definitely was being affected by the drugs!!! :heehee: Anyway, all the nurses were GREAT except for one, so had a very positive experience all the way around.

And now I'm back at home and ready to really start recovery. I'm on crutches--skipped the walker thing altogether because I had no intention of renting one--and getting around really well on them. Like I said, I've got no weight bearing restrictions, though, so that's making it really much easier for me to get around. I've filled my prescriptions and will take my pain meds and keep this pain under good control. Got my exercises and will dutifully perform them, although have to admit am taking this first day at home off and getting at them 2x a day tomorrow. The physio/occupational therapists said 3x daily, but my surgeon said 2x daily was enough. He's a great guy. Very good and very realistic about things. Told me to do the exercises, really watch the 90 degree thing, no bending, no twisting, no crossing precautions for the first 6 weeks especially. Will see him then for a follow up. He warned that I may have a bad day or two, but not to get frustrated. Also warned not to do too much when I start really feeling better because that's how people dislocate--they do too much because they're feeling good and feel they can. So will be very careful and follow doctor's orders!!!

The one thing I'm going to have a hard time with at the beginning here is showering. I have a tub and getting in and out will be tricky. They showed me how at the hospital, but I'm going to have friends help out for the first bit, just to be sure I don't hurt myself. A friend lent me a shower chair, so I've got that in place. Am basically good to go. So my story is good.

Now back to you!! Are you still in the hospital because of the fracture? And if so, how long will you be there? What does this fracture mean for weight bearing? And do you know why you fractured? BTW, where do you live? Listen, girl, I am totally open to talking to you person to person to help each other through this!!! If you want to call me sometime, please send me a private message on here (I have NO idea how to send you one--can't figure it out!! :sos: ) and I'll give you my contact info. I am so feeling for you right now because I can only imagine how disappointed you were to find out about the fracture!!! I know that this feeling of dependency on others is tough (I pretty much had a breakdown in the hospital on Tuesday night when had to use a bedpan!!!). Add to that being in pain and being uncomfortable and the fact that you're not quite in your right mind on those hospital drugs and, well, it doesn't add up to something good!! :yikes: BUT it will get better for you, trust me!!! I can tell you that once you start to weight bear, you will REALLY see (or, rather, feel) that that arthritic pain is GONE! Amazing. That pain that's been a part of your life for so long will really and truly be a thing of the past. You just have a few more hurdles to clear before you get to where I am. And I'm betting that you'll clear those hurdles faster than you're thinking you will!!! :thumb:

Anyway, please know that I'm thinking of you (and of all of you who are part of this January group!!!!!) and sending you the warmest wishes and get well vibes!!! :console2: Please post or send me a private message when you can and let me know what's going on with you!!! :thankyou: Feel better!!!!!

Peace out,

Foxy (Michelle)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Roller Coaster
Foxy, go to the following link for how to start a "conversation" which is what a private message is called on this forum: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/pms-or-private-messages-are-now-conversations.14734/
 
Hiya CookingLoverGirl

So sorry to hear about your fracture and the restrictions it imposes on you but at least you did it - you're on the right side of your surgery. It's maybe going to take longer to get to full recovery but every day is another day in the right direction - it truly is onwards and upwards now!

Take super special care of yourself
Lots of hugs
UK Diane
 
Oh CookingLovergirl! I'm so so sorry read about your fracture. I hope they are giving you what you need to get your pain under control. The good news is that you WILL recover from this! It maybe a little longer but you will do it! Do let us know how you are doing. Sending big hugs to you!
 
Hi cookinglovergirl,

Sorry to hear about the fracture. The first few days after a THR can be hard without a complication like that. I am curious to hear what they do for treatment and precautions for a fracture. I'm going to likely have one (albeit controlled) by my surgeon to get my stem out. Been told I would weight bear and have same precautions as if no fracture.

And it is hard when things are less than perfect. Hopefully, you'll get better pain management before too long. It only gets better from where you're at, if that's any consolation. If you get through the first few days, then you begin to see a little glimmer at the end of the tunnel. But if you're really hurting, there are stronger drugs than Morphine, like Fentanyl and Dilaudid.

Big hugs to you.

T.H.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom