THR Recovery going TOO well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you had the best time you will never remember. Thanks for posting the picture. Had a great laugh over that. Never thought to look to see if Bone Smart had a facebook page. Will have to go have a look-see.

So...........how are you feeling this morning????
 
Tammy, funniest thing, I felt fine the next morning. Apparently I was not so fine when we got home, but I guess getting rid of it all prevented a hangover! LOL

But today.....OUCH! I narrowly avoided a nasty fall this afternoon, but ended up twisting my right leg in the process! I was on a Christmas home tour with a large crowd.....someone bumped into me, so I took a step back and there was a "step down" that I was not aware of. I grabbed a wall and someone else grabbed my arm, but in trying to get my footing, I twisted my leg. I'm doing the "ice, elevate, medicate" thing now that I'm home.....but wouldn't you know, that happened at the first house, so I had 3 hours of riding around in a bus and walking (CAREFULLY) through five more homes! At the time I played it off like everything was fine, just a close call, but I tell you what......OUCH!
 
Ohh Suz, I feel bad, I know the ouch process very well as well as trying to make it appear that you are fine and dandy.
 
Suz, I'm so glad you didn't fall! That was a close call.
 
Suz, glad you didn't suffer too much from a hangover. I hate that you hurt yourself so early in the evening and then felt like you had to act as if everything was fine. WE (myself included) need to learn to say when we are NOT fine. How is the leg feeling now? And don't tell me fine!!!!
 
Suz that's too bad about the fall! i hope it's just a minor setback....
i dread the first fall.... be it walking or skating.... makes me almost
too timid!
 
Suz - how is your leg today? All recovered from your near fall? The party sounds great! It is hard to prevent from overdoing in those situations, but it looks like you made the most of it!
 
Leg IS actually fine now.:) It hurt yesterday, as I expected it would. Today I actually went for an 11 block walk (remember, small town blocks aren't as big as some city ones!) and still no additional pain. I did call my regular doctor and make an appt. for tomorrow to have my shoulder looked at. I figure that two full weeks after being off the walker and crutches, it should NOT still be hurting as much as it is. The opposite hip is still hurting too, but not nearly as bad as the shoulder. I sure hope it's just still irritated because of the walker/crutches and because I use that arm more. I'd like the pain to go away, but don't need another surgery or anything like that for a LONG time!!
 
Hi Suz, I think walkers are the bane of mankind, my pinky finger tip is still numb from using the walker 4 weeks ago. I transitioned to crutches, before I had no feeling in my whole hand.

Sounds like you are doing well otherwise. When are you going to see the doc about your shoulder?
 
I'll see about my shoulder in the morning. That's another nice thing about small town.....I got in within 24 hours, even though it's NOT an emergency!
 
Saw my primary care doc yesterday, he said it was likely tendonitis in the shoulder.

My pain management doc and I are working on a "step down" program to get me off the methadone he had prescribed for my low back/hip/leg and fibromyalgia pain. Our theory is that the hip replacement should have taken care of much of the issue with the hip and leg, so we want to see what we're still dealing with and go from there.....hopefully with something much "less" than methadone. In the weeks/months prior to surgery, the methadone wasn't even touching the pain; but after surgery I felt great. I'd stopped taking any pain meds prescribed by the surgeon, and was just on the methadone as previously prescribed.

I've gone from 10mg methadone every 12 hours (6:30am and 6:30pm) daily to alternating that with just one at noon. (In other words, regular dose one day, then just the one at noon the next day). I've been doing that for four days now, and I do notice more pain in the operated hip as well as in other areas that I had not noticed before. I'm hoping it's just from the dosage transition, and not "actual" pain that would indicate other problems.......especially since this morning I noticed a tender spot on the back of my head. I have not bumped my head or fallen, and there's not a lump there, but it's sore to the touch (like when I was brushing my hair). That is making me pretty nervous, the rest I can deal with......but I'm hoping it will all mellow out as my body gets used to the chemical changes.

I know this is technically not a "hip recovery related" post......yet for me, it kind of is, since the changes are due to improvements from the hip surgery. Josephine, I know it's not really your "area", but do you have any thoughts that might help me?

Thanks!
 
Suz, I really wish I did have something for you but this is all way out of my field. So sorry.
 
Thanks anyway Josephine; I knew it was a long shot!

I hate that we are playing with my dosage. I want to be off the methadone, but am having more hip pain than I've had since surgery! Still nothing compared to prior to surgery, thank God, but hurts anyway. Heat, ice, elevate, rest......nothing seems to make a difference, so I've decided to just plow on ahead as if nothing has changed. I figure as long as my pain levels are better than they were before surgery, life is good! Before surgery, on a scale of 1 - 10, my pain was about a 25; now it's down to about a 6 or 7, so I can deal with that if I have to!
 
Maybe waiting until the hip is fully healed before tapering off the methadone would have been a better option? Just a matter of a few weeks. Just wondering....
 
Suz, take care not to let that nasty pain creep back up on you. The increase in pain may make you subconsciously decrease your activity levels. Wonder if the sore spot on your head came as a result from your wild bowling night.
 
Suz, I'm a little over 4 weeks. Mine is also not cemented, but from day 2, the OS told me I could put as much weight as pain allowed. There hasn't been any pain in my hip, only muscle soreness and weakness. Good luck
 
Damn! That's the forgotten night:shocked:
Suz, I don't think you should settle for a pain level of 6 or 7.
 
Well, my pain doc gave me the choice of how long I want to drag out my stepping down, so I decided to wait til the 1st of January, just to give the hip a bit more time to heal. I was not liking how I was feeling, and not liking the extra pain. I have just occasionally skipped a dose; mainly if I've slept late in the morning, I'll just wait til around noon or 1 and take it, that way it has me covered the rest of the day. Done that twice now and it seems to work better then the alternating thing was....I'll go back to alternating in Jan.

Today was my first time of really feeling nervous about the hip. We had snow and ice last night! This morning my hubby said I "didn't really need to be getting out", and I agreed, even when the ladies at the thrift said they were not opening this morning because it was too slick for them to get out (usually I'd go down in their place). BUT....someone called asking about the free coats from the coat drive, said they didn't have a heavy coat and needed one. No way could I stay in my cozy house, with FOUR warm coats in the closet, knowing someone else needed a coat in this weather! So, called the bus to take me to the shop...but I DID use my cane when walking outside, figured the extra help on the ice was a good idea. It was a good thing I opened up, because not only did the caller come in for a free coat, so did two others; plus we had a good morning of sales too!

I had a birthday Tuesday, and Medicare even celebrated it! They had a big ol' donut, and all they gave me was the hole!! LOL For you young, healthier things, the Medicare "donut hole" is a gap in coverage where, even though you are paying for Rx coverage, you must pay 100% of your drug cost. I'm just thankful I hit it in December, instead of much earlier in the year like some people do! But, it was not a happy surprise to find my meds cost a couple hundred dollars more than I expected....instead of a Kindle Fire for Bday/Christmas, I got DRUGS!! LOL

But really, after the horrible sadness and tragedy recently, I cannot complain. My children and grandchildren will not be here for the holidays, I may not have seen some of the grandchildren for over a year.....but at least I know they are happy, healthy, and as safe as we can make them. My heart breaks for the families in CT who lost loved ones, especially children.
 
Glad you put off the stepping down, think it will help. That was sweet of you to help the person with no coat, and very glad you took you cane, that way you warmed your heart and someone elses body and at the same time kept yourself safe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom