Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery going TOO well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, good, I'm glad you decided to wait to decrease your methadone. No point in doing that while healing is still happening; it could get discouraging. The New Year will be soon enough, and you'll do well.
Belated Happy Birthday! But I'm sorry you got the donut hole instead of the new Kindle.:boohoo:
 
Thanks sissy46! You and me both! LOL

I'm still having pain in the "opposite" hip, and in my shoulder. I thought those would have been gone by now, since I've been off the walker/crutches for 3 weeks now! Thankfully I see my OS on the 27th, so will see what he has to say. I'm also going to have him check out my ankle that has bothered me for a couple years but other docs say "I don't see anything". I told him about it prior to surgery, and he said he'd check it out if it still bothered afterwards. Hoping it's something simple....another surgery is NOT on my "to do" list for the New Year!
 
Hey, there hope the pain in the ankle gets solved by the OS appointment, pain in the opposite hip is bit expected becuase it is doing more work right now, so kick up your feet, pad your shoulder and just relax. Happy Holiday:xmaskitty:
 
Since I'm fully weight bearing, I didn't think the opposite hip was doing "extra" anymore? "Padding" is unnecessary, but the heat sure feels good! I ice it occasionally too, when heat doesn't help. Definitely looking forward to that appointment and getting some answers!
 
I was placed on the same restrictions for my non-cemented hips. I had bone grafting as well. My pelvis was tilted and I limped badly.
I sit at work, but my Surgeon said it will take 3-4 months before I return and he was so right! I felt almost normal after 3 months for the left.
Maybe it is a Canadian thing, but the Surgeons here are not rushing to sign people off to work. My bone is soft to begin with, so I will listen to the experts.

I remembered enduring mean comments from co-workers who felt I should have been back to work after 6 weeks - they had no clue about the details of my surgery. They watched some youtube videos and compared my surgery to their older friends, grandmas and moms. Thank God they cannot call me any more. I use to feel like I am slow or something, until I came to my senses (minimized some pain meds) and realized that they were just ignorant to the facts of my surgery.

As for the 6 weeks - it is tough, but I felt like I passed an exam after and graduated. The pain creeps in when I started adding weight and my balance sucks. Physio is important as I get to use the machines and exercise in the water.

All the best to those recovering!
 
It is difficult not having our g-babies close to us...especially during the holidays. I have several in California and I miss them every single day. We Skype and talk often...keep in touch with Facebook, but it is not the same as squeezing those little guys. As long as they are healthy, happy and safe, I'm happy.
 
Damn!, Tammy, that is so true! When I get feeling bad and missing them, I remind myself how fortunate I am to have them at all! Unfortunately I don't get to Skype or FB with the older ones (they don't have internet at home), but the almost 2 year old and I Skype occasionally. He is so cute when he kisses the monitor, giving me kisses! He won't kiss a person, but will kiss the phone when they say "I love you", or the monitor when Skyping! Silly little boy!
 
But silly is what makes my heart go pitter patter. I as thankful for technology every time I get to interact (virtually) with my g-babies. My daughter-in-law is also wonderful at making sure that the kids remember us. She created a Family Photo Book and regularly goes over it with the boys and has them name us all. This way, when we Skype or visit, they know us immediately.
 
What a wonderful daughter-in-law! I got recordable storybooks for the grands for Christmas, the older group always remember, of course, but I thought it would be good for the youngest one.
 
10 week checkup was today. I'm cleared for any type of "low-impact" activity I want to try....as long as I stay off the ice! LOL He even said OK to Zumba, which I would not think of as "low-impact", but whatever!

Xray of hip looked great. He had NOTHING to say about the pain in other hip/low back....I guess since it's not overly bad and xrays are good, he figures I can just deal with it, or have my regular doctor take care of it. I was kind of frustrated about how dismissive he was, but not much I can do about it really.

Xray of ankle showed maybe a tiny bit of spurring, but he said it's likely to be tendonitis. Since that's what I was told on my shoulder, I'm beginning to wonder if "tendonitis" is the new "catch all" diagnosis, kind of like fibromyalgia used to be?? Either way, not much to be done unless I want a shot in the ankle, which I'm not ready for at this point.

So, I'm going to just be happy with the progress on the operated hip (which I REALLY am) and just learn to "suck it up" with the rest of it for now.
 
Hi Suz

Zumba.... what kind of an OS is he.. maybe he likes to do that himself :rotfl:

It is hard when other parts of us are hurting though.. I can so relate!
 
Tendonitis is the new fibromyalgia. That is funny.
Poppet He either likes to zumba himself, or doesn't know what it is!
 
Yea, I figured a few would get a chuckle out of Zumba being "low impact". I figure I'll do what I can, and fake it through the rest. Ours is a very relaxed group.....and staying at the back of the room helps! LOL
 
Well, we haven't started the exercise program yet (not til the 14th), so no Zumba, but I did go back to the gym this week. When I was there last, in August (had to quit going then because the pain was too bad) I was up to 15 -20 minutes on the elliptical.....now I'm really pushing to make 5 minutes. Stationery bike I can do about 2 miles at a medium tension, and as far as the weight machines, I'm ok on my normal weight, just not as many reps. The thing is, starting over like this, I'm going through all the "beginners pain"......sore muscles in my legs and arms, plus some additional soreness in the hip, but nothing I can't handle.

I'm still having pain in the "opposite" hip, but it is finally starting to decrease. I'm hoping to be able to re-start the weaning process from the methadone soon, but figure I might want to wait until my body gets used to being back at the gym. The thing is, no matter what, I'm sure there will ALWAYS be a "reason" to wait to try and get off of it; I just need to pick a date and say "OK, this is when I'm gonna have to suck it up and start tapering off", or it will never happen.

While sitting on my behind for 6 weeks, I gained 10 lbs. It's been almost 11 weeks since surgery now, and I'm still 10 lbs heavier than I started, and my PCP is not pleased (neither am I). I hate the word "diet", so instead I'm paying more attention to what I'm eating and trying to eat healthier, now that all the holiday goodies are about gone (still some bread and pie in the freezer!). I sure hope it works.....now that I'm not wearing sweats 90% of the time, I find that only two pairs of my good jeans fit! Fat thighs are NOT making me a happy camper!!
 
Oh Suz....I identify with your frustration at the weight gain. I actually got rid of weight after surgery....and then gained it right back when winter set in!! I get so tired of losing the same 10 pounds over and over. And then I'd like to get rid of another 20 or so.

But bravo to you for going to the gym. Don't make the mistake of pushing yourself too far too fast. All that muscle and soft tissue took a lot of trauma....you can't expect to just resume what you could do before surgery. Give it time...like PT....a little more each time. That soreness...evaluate it carefully. Is it "good" sore or "bad" sore. Stay on the side of good. :)

You're at the point where progress can feel slowed down. You've already made the most obvious gains. Much of the work takes place inside now where you aren't really aware of it. Zumba sounds like fun, though. Supposed to quite a workout. I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you.

Sharon
 
sharonslp, thank you for the kind words. It is very difficult to know which is the good or bad pain, that is true! I'm sticking with 30 minute work outs, and have not made it every day yet....more out of circumstances than planning, but that's still not necessarily a bad thing. Next week when classes start, I'll have them 2x a week and try to go to the gym at least 3 other days. Easing back into it has been even more difficult, because my husband worries that every time I say I'm sore, he thinks I've done too much and am hurting the hip. It's nice that he worries, but unfortunately it also makes it harder for me to stick with the program!
 
One solution is to simply not mention that you are sore. :)

Another solution is to cut way back on what you do at the gym, to the point that you are not sore. Then start slowly increasing from there.

Do NOT do what I always do, which is to do exactly the same amount I've always done, because I am so bored to tears by anything that feels like exercise that I can barely get me to do it at all. This eventually feels so pointless that I stop doing it at all, because really....I didn't want to do it in the first place.

Soldier on, Suz. I want you to rave about Zumba and inspire me to try it.

Sharon
 
LOL Even if I didn't say it, he knows me well enough to be able to tell! Sometimes I guess there's a disadvantage to having a hubby that pays attention!

But I am NOT giving up! I've enlisted a neighbor to exercise with me, to help keep me from being bored on days I go to the gym that are not class days. Plus, I may not LIKE exercise, but I DO want to do this.....I want to be healthier and be able to enjoy playing with my grandkids without being tired, in pain, and out of breath all the time!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom