Recovery beginning, but have a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First physio today - went well

Thanks all for the good advice and support. BTW, I am a nurse and have been in the OR for a knee replacement, so I know what they do!

Today was first physio appointment and it went well. They were pleased with my current mobility. The exercises they put me through were actually similar and a bit easier than what I was sent home doing from the hospital. The straight leg lifts were still tough!

Am booked to do physio every morning this week.
 
OK, I looked, but very briefly. Such a good thing that I'm not in the medical field! That is just gross.

But, I do understand your point in directing us to the pics. When I see me knees all stapled up and clean/not bleeding, and now with no staples and the scars healing nicely, it's easy to think that it wasn't such a big deal. But seeing those photos really hits home that the surgery was a very big deal!!! I will not underestimate what took place, and what has to take place to heal, mend and repair the trauma that my knees (and entire body) went throught during the surgery. Wow...

:sick:
 
Boy, Tim.....I'm thinking there might be some parents out there who would accuse you of "child abuse" of their little darlings by showing them how the surgery is really done!!!

I couldn't look at any of this stuff for about 6 months after my TKR. But now I find it very interesting. It helps to have a little distance from the actual procedure!
 
I liked the animated version Jo posted in the library. I found it fascinating and I like to understand exactly what's going on. But the animated version is much easier on the stomach. :th_heehee:
I even "did the surgery" here: broken link removed: https://www.edheads.org/activities/knee/
before my tkr.
 
I must be a real weirdo. Before my surgery I would sit very late at night (after hubby went to bed) and watch all the TKR surgeries on-line that I could find. They always ended at the suturing and never showed the post op stuff. Now I know why. I wanted to be well informed before they started on me.
 
I must be a real weirdo. Before my surgery I would sit very late at night (after hubby went to bed) and watch all the TKR surgeries on-line that I could find. They always ended at the suturing and never showed the post op stuff. Now I know why. I wanted to be well informed before they started on me.
Weirdo! :biggrin::biggrin: Hey, whatever helps.
 
I am so glad I didn't see the pics or the video prior to surgery!!! I probably wouldn't have gone through with the operation. I tried really hard to NOT think about what they were going to do. I think I actually thought they chopped off the bone above and below the knee and put an entire knee in there. Obviously that's worse than what they really do! :eeew:

Now, it's disgusting, but I can separate myself from the gruesome details since it's over. Whatever they did - it worked!!! :hapydancsmil:
 
It's okay, Kneed. I didn't want to know, watch or hear what was happening to me even though I'd scrubbed for them for years! It's totally different when it's your knee!
 
Day 11 - Update and small concern

Things are still going well. I haven't had a lot of pain and I keep using the ice and medication. Percocets make me feel quite whoozy, but I do take them at night to help sleep.

Physio is going very well, with good flexion and extension.

My little concern today is my incision. I had a small amount of yellowish drainage on the dressing today. When I changed the dressing, the incision looks really good - no redness or swelling.

I don't get my staples removed until next Thursday - day 18! And, of course, this weekend is the holiday weekend, so I won't be able to call my doctor until Tuesday at the earliest.
 
There's always a little exudate from a wound. Don't worry about it. Just normal healing.
 
There's always a little exudate from a wound. Don't worry about it. Just normal healing.

Thanks for the reassurance. I figured it was OK, but the physio guy mentioned it too, so I got a bit worried. The risk with ortho seems so much higher to me.
 
Three week update

Thought I would drop back by to update my progress at 3 weeks (tomorrow).

I saw my OS last Thursday, and he was very pleased with everything. Xray showed the prosthesis in good position. My ROM is really excellent and I am mobile with just a cane (I don't really need it, but my physio said to continue using it.) Staples were removed (finally! :thumb:) and the incision is healing well.

Physio is going well - I am now using recumbent bike and doing leg presses and they feel good. I am not having much pain and am controlling it easily with XS Tylenol. I am glad to not need the Percocet because they really gave me bad nightmares and sweats. I am still icing several times a day, especially at night. For a couple of days my lower back and hip on the operative side were bothering me but some Robaxacet and a heating pad seems to be taking care of that.

I had my first "evening out" last Thursday - went to a wine and music festival for the evening. It went well with no repercussions in terms of fatigue and pain.

Nightime is a bit problematic. I take my Robaxacet and settle to sleep nicely for a couple of hours. Then I am wake up. Sometimes, I am just wide awake, but not in any pain and my brain is racing. Sometimes, I am experiencing "restless legs". It is taking me several unpleasant hours before I settle back to sleep. During the daytime, I just feel exhausted and a bit "down in the dumps."

I checked out the threads about leg cramps, and think I will try the tonic water idea -- I wish I weren't taking Tylenol so I could put some gin in it. :th_heehee:
 
Glad to hear you are doing so well! The sleep problems are very common and it does get better with some time. If you're not doing so, you might try a dose of the Tylenol if you wake up in the night. Of course, you would need to count it in your daily maximum of 4000mg per any 24 hour period. The cramping and restlessness you're feeling actually is a form of pain. Icing also may help calm things down.

By the way, would you be a dear and put your surgery date in your signature like the rest of us do? You can find the instructions here How to create a signature.

That also applies to anyone else who is reading this.
Thank you.
 
It works!!! Thanks....that really helps us.
 
Saturn ~

The sleeplessness does get better! At 3 weeks, I was having just the same experience you were - sleeping a bit, then wide awake. At 5 weeks, I'm sleeping a lot longer and more soundly. I feel much more rested. And, I don't wake up as often with pains and cramps. So, in a short time, that should start getting better!


Glad to hear things are going well! :thumb:
 
Those sleep issues are actually quite normal. I actually found this site during my nocturnal wanderings in search of a good night's sleep. I ended up finally succumbing to having the OS prescribe me some Ambien; it st my sleep pattern and after ten days, I was good to go.

It is normal---some of my friends and colleagues who had a TKR done warned me about it, but I didn't believe them. The sleep issue will resolve itself in time---it is only temporary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom