TKR Recovery #2

I have come to a few conclusions.

1. This right knee was a lot more damaged than lefty. Doc had to chisel and grind way more bad stuff off then lefty.
2. I should have bit the bullet and had righty done 3 yrs sooner.
3. 4 yrs older makes a difference in your recovery in your 60's. LOL. 65 to 69. I ain't Benjamin Button :rotfl:
4. Laughter is the best medicine. When that doesn't work cursing like a sailor helps. As long as nobody is around.

Doc told me...don't be surprised if this recovery is worse than lefty. Huh?
It's not worse it's different. And it might take a bit longer, but not much.
 
4 yrs older makes a difference in your recovery in your 60's. LOL. 65 to 69. I ain't Benjamin Button :rotfl:
Laughter is the best medicine. When that doesn't work cursing like a sailor helps. As long as nobody is around.
The best! :rotfl:
You and PIA have a nice day!
 
Turned a corner today. Not sure if it will last. I had a long morning from 8 am to noon at a very large hospital with my hubs. He had a lot of testing and a doc appt. Our son drove and dropped us off at entrances so I didn't have to make the long haul from parking lot. Still a good bit of walking in hospital. I took a long lasting ice pack and made good use of it.
Been home 2 hrs and I have very little tightness and pain! I will continue to ice and elevate the rest of the day. Could this be a new good thing???? Sure hope so!
Tomorrow will be 4 weeks. Fingers crossed.
Remember it’s a marathon and not a sprint. Recovery is awesome until regression. Stay consistent and it will get better over the long haul. I’m still recovering after almost a year
 
Much better now, thanks. I have to take a medication for my gut, but haven't been because of hydrocodone. I'm making sure I take it from now on. Haven't had hydrocodone since Saturday night. Tylenol is working fine. No Advil
Sounds like you are doing really well.
Good luck with the driving.
 
No hydrocodone since Saturday. Swelling is down. Still icing and elevating. I do the lymphatic leg massage every morning. Cancelled PT for yesterday's appt. My gut is behaving.
Tomorrow is 7 weeks! Could this be the beginning of good changes? It was for first tkr.
Fingers crossed.

I'm still going to behave and not go to ODIC.
I have to go to doc appt with hubs this afternoon, but I'll take my trusty ice pack and there won't be too much walking. Lots of places to put my leg up.

It seems like being up for no more than 30 min is working. That includes chores, taking walks, any ADLs. Then I elevate and ice for an hour and get back up.
I took Tylenol every 6 hrs Sunday and Monday...that worked. Didn't take it last night and the discomfort was bearable. My gut feels better without all the pain meds. Still feeling fatigued, but this will pass.
Eyeballing flexion still looks like 115 or better. Still doing small bends a couple x day. Same with extension.
 
Lots of positive news, that's for sure. Hopefully you turned a corner. Good to read that your gut feels better also. You don't need that additional discomfort right now.
Safe travels today, I hope you and hubs have a great day, beachy! The sun is shining here even though we'll only be in the 30's the sunshine certainly helps brighten the day. :SUNsmile:
@beachy
 
Thanks, @Layla!
Sunshine is good for the soul. Even with cold temps. Dreary, rainy and chilly here! Yay!
Fingers crossed this knee likes the weather today.
Have a great day!
 
Sounds you are getting to the “bright side of the road”. Good for you @beachy. I hear you when you say you have a “half hour” knee. Mine “talks” to me about the same interval. Good luck with your checkup.
 
Tomorrow is 7 weeks! Could this be the beginning of good changes? It was for first tkr.
Fingers crossed.
Hope so! Hope the hospital appointment tomorrow for your husband goes well.
 
I made it to 7 weeks and there is definitely improvement.
*I stopped the hydrocodone last weekend. Sat was the last day I took it. Took 4k mg of Tylenol and was fine.
I don't even take Tylenol now. My poor gut needs a break from all of it. Ice and elevating take care of the little pain I have.

*Getting my gut regulated is a work in progress.

*The swelling is way down. I do the self lymphatic massage of right leg every morning. Religiously.
I believe its helped. And I drink crazy amounts of water.

* I haven't been to PT in 6 days. I do the flex and extension exercises at home. Not a lot, but daily.
Flex looks good. ADLs and/or short walks every day. 30 min seems to be my limit for standing or walking when I need to sit and ice. It feels good to walk. Knee feels strong. I may go back at some point, but my community has a state of the art gym with a bank of stationary bikes and a beautiful view of the Chesapeake Bay.
More proof that a big, swollen knee won't benefit from aggressive PT. I couldn't even make a rotation at last PT .

So glad to be past the first 6 weeks. For me those weeks mostly sucked!

*First post op appt is Tues. My plan is to sit there and let him do the talking and ask me questions. I'm not volunteering much. The proof will be my knee.
 
my community has a state of the art gym with a bank of stationary bikes and a beautiful view of the Chesapeake Bay.
This sounds awesome!

First post op appt is Tues. My plan is to sit there and let him do the talking and ask me questions. I'm not volunteering much. The proof will be my knee.
Good plan!
 
Beachy, congratulations on hitting 7 weeks! May the next 7 weeks be easier! It sounds like you are doing great! Very smart recovery so far, so keep up the good work! Also, love your plan for your meeting with doc. You know your knee best and the proof is in the pudding as they say. I’m sure they will be impressed with your progress!

I am jealous of your gym situation! I really miss the gym. Unfortunately, my husband has worked hard setting up a ‘home gym’ for us in the wood shop (that I don’t enjoy at all) so I have no justification for spending money on a membership somewhere :umm:

Keep on truckin Beachy! Love reading about your progress.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom