TKR Recovery #2

I remember an incident from my first knee recovery that really stood out in my mind. I was 9 weeks post op and went to Ulta ( I had my priorities). As I was looking at the products, I realized that I was pivoting and turning and for the first time, I forgot about my knee. No pain. It was a Turing point for me.
My point is, you’re still early in your recover. You’re doing great. And that roller coaster is certainly true.

I’m envious of your warmer temperatures there. We’re usually moderately cool here in winter, but I just saw that tonight we will be having a snowstorm that is projected to dump TEN inches of snow over 24 hrs! :flabber:
Crumbs! That is one heck of a snow storm! Stay safe and keep your knee warm.

Ugh. I've been sick. Overall exhaustion. Gut has been a mess. And the knee swelled again . I haven't been on it much either. I think this one is just a sweller. I was finally in a deep sleep last night. Woke startled at 3 am to hubs asking me if I was ok. He was worried because i was sleeping so soundly. ??? Then the dog started barking. Couldn't go back to sleep. I nicely asked him to NEVER DO THAT AGAIN:loll:

While I was surfing YouTube in the wee hrs of the morning, I came across a channel for lymphatic massage of the right leg. It was instructional on how to do it yourself. I did that. And again just a little while ago. It has helped the swelling. Really easy to do.
The channel is: Cancer Rehab PT
The title to search is: Lymphatic Drainage Massage for Right Leg
Swelling and Lymphedema

I wasn't looking for anything cancer related, but this just popped up.

@gia2cats
I am positively longing for a day like that!
Do you remember when you started driving after rtkr?
And how was your cruise?

He was worried because i was sleeping so soundly. ??? Then the dog started barking. Couldn't go back to sleep. I nicely asked him to NEVER DO THAT AGAIN
To be fair it can be worrying. My husband said he had never seen me so deeply asleep as I was in the afternoon just before my pulse started racing, and we went to the hospital last Saturday.

Ugh. I've been sick. Overall exhaustion. Gut has been a mess.
I have just bought some probiotic tablets and some live yoghurt and sauerkraut to try to help my gut flora after all the antibiotics I am taking. Someone on BoneSmart suggested it whilst I was in hospital and it seemed like a good idea.
Perhaps you might want to skip the Kimchi and sauerkraut until your tummy feels better but perhaps some live yoghurt and a probiotic might help?

@EalingGran
Did your husband wake you?

I can't take probiotics. I take a medication called Questran. Its actually to lower cholesterol, but a side effect is that it binds bile acids in your gut. Ever since gall bladder removal I've had "bile dumping". Been tested for every GI condition known to man for 20 yrs. Finally, my old time country doc general practioner had me try this medication. Life changing. I haven't been taking it lately because of hydrocodone. Today I hope to stop hydro and get back on questran. Or live in the bathroom:rotfl: sorry for tmi

Last edited:
No but in retrospect he thinks he should have!
Mind you that's the problem - a husband's place is always in the wrong! ( or is that just a mother's place??).

Thanks so much for the info about lymphatic massage. I've been thinking about trying a massage therapist for my swelling and tightness. Will definitely try this first. Hope the your gut and the sleep improves soon.

Hooray for lymphatic drainage! Hooray for better days ahead! I hope your tummy feels better soon, beachy, and that poor pot roast as well. You and I need to try to stay away from the buffet! Your poor husband…I would’ve throttled mine! But then, I don’t have a single shred of compassion in me if you wake me from a dead sleep. On the other hand, EalingGran, as you said, it could have actually been something! You are right…the poor fellas just can’t win.

@JusticeRider you had the pot roast. I had the ham LOL
I'm going to continue the little massage. It was super interesting that you have start in the belly, then where hip meets top of leg to clear the blockage. Then work on the thigh and knee.

My hubs is wonderful, but I am exhausted.:sleeep:

@gia2cats
I am positively longing for a day like that!
Do you remember when you started driving after rtkr?
And how was your cruise?
I had the rt knee done first and our ortho was strict about not driving for 6 weeks. He said studies were showing that reaction time from surgery was delayed until that point. However, I did drive myself to a nail appt at 5 weeks but it was only 2 miles away. I then drove longer distances at about 7 weeks.
Cruise is March 26. IT Band improved now my LS spine is acting up. Always something.

I drove three weeks after my RTKR :yikes: but very short distances from home. I was off the oxy after six days and that was my OS criteria for driving.

I came across a channel for lymphatic massage of the right leg. It was instructional on how to do it yourself. I did that. And again just a little while ago. It has helped the swelling. Really easy to do.
Our own Cricket Hip often recommends LDM. I wonder if the instructions below is the same as the method online? I will have to look...

Jamie from admin once explained that It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

CricketHip, is involved in Therapeutic Massage and has shared this exercise to assist in manual lymph drainage. This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain - you may want to give it a try and tag her if you have any questions.

While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

@beachy I am really sorry you're feeling under the weather. A couple more nights of restorative rest, without interruption from loving hubs, :wink: and hopefully you'll be back on track. Have a nice week!

@gia2cats I'm at 7 weeks on Wed. I'm going to try to drive on my street with hubs calling shotgun in case we need to switch.
Manicure and Ulta.....you do have your priorities in order:loll:

@sistersinhim
Much better now, thanks. I have to take a medication for my gut, but haven't been because of hydrocodone. I'm making sure I take it from now on. Haven't had hydrocodone since Saturday night. Tylenol is working fine. No Advil though. Thanks for the prayers!:loveshwr:

@Layla
Yes, its basically the same idea with a bit more of massaging back into the torso. No work on the knee or leg until the "unblocking" was complete. After knee/leg massage it ends with more unblocking.
I also saw a channel that explained that swelling from lymphedema is not the same as swelling from trauma....sprain, surgery that doesn't remove lymph nodes.
I do it in the am and before I go to bed pm.
I figure it can't hurt, right?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
kneequery
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom