TKR Recovering & Getting Ready for #2

Love that Liz! Actually, my OS is really cutting edge (pun intended). He has been on The Doctors a lot for treating unusually difficult spinal issues where other surgeons around the country basically said its too bad, but your kid is going to die from this! I actually met one of the young men he treated. His publicist actually wanted to know if I would go on, but I guess they didn't think an ol' lady with a spinal fusion was interesting enough, even though I hiked the Camino de Compostela 5 months later! lol
 
Hello all! Reporting in from Lavacolla, Spain, one day short of Santiago and the completion of our 2nd post-hips, knees, back, and neck fusions Camino de Compostela!!

Hope Everyone is recovering well.
 
Hello again, Lynn. It's lovely to hear from you, and to learn that all you bionic body parts are serving you well. :happydance: :yay: :yes!: :dancy: :spin:

Enjoy your holiday.
 
Some words of encouragement to all: I have now had my hips for nearly 15 years and my knees for 5. Today's check-up on my "parts" was terrific. My OS says the hips look as good as the day he put them in - no bone loss or any deterioration near them; likewise with my knees. He says my hips should be good for another 15-20 years! So pleased to hear all that!

Stay the course friends, stay the course!
 
My, oh my. I just realized I missed my right knee's 6th birthday (still have a chance for lefty, as she turns 6 Dec. 17!). The good news is that all continues to go well with all of my "parts" and nothing new seems to be on the horizon!

All is well currently in SoCal - lots of rain of late which will hopefully keep down the incidence of wildfires which have so severely devastated this state yet again this year. Holidays approaching. Wishing you all well and may all your "parts" work well and without pain or strain!
 
Congratulations! So good to hear that you are doing well. I just had my 6th in October. All is going great for me too! This knee replacement changed my life.
 
Well the hubs, the Sainted Joe, apparently needs a left knee replacement. I've known it for a couple years but he keeps hiking on and ignoring the pain. I had the valgus; he has an increasingly bad varus. Such a copy cat! It is funny though-I have often joked we must live on an ancient Gabrielino indian burial site, given that he and I (and one daughter) have had severe lower back issues, he and I both needed a cervical fusion, my hips and knees, and now his knees. Ya gotta wonder - and I swear, we are only related by marriage! :heehee: Unfortunately, he needs to wait until an infection in his jaw clears up! :headbang:
 
Best wishes to your husband, and to you as you help him through it!
 
OK - I need a little advice...about two weeks ago I fell extremely hard onto my left knee - kind of on the front and side of it, below the knee cap. At least I think so. The fall happened so fast and so hard - it was like someone had shoved me down (tho the Sainted Joe had just stepped into the shower at the other end of the house!), I remember none of the fall, except the realization I could not recover my balance. I think my foot turned a corner but the sandal didn't and I lost my balance.

In any event, I just lay there to assess what damage might have been done. Between all my "parts" and back issues, falling is my greatest fear! The pain was so intense and deep inside the tibia - like the earliest days of TKR recovery. Joe responded to my yell and we iced it immediately for a couple hours, trying to assess whether we needed to go to the emergency room. We did not. Although my whole body hurt for days, after a couple hours I was able to walk without pain. After a couple of days, I noticed the front and side of the left shin were quite bruised and slightly swollen - far more than point-it-impact, as I think impact was directly below the knee cap. The knee feels secure, still can walk without pain, but it feels a bit more numb and sensitive than it was. The bruising, though light, has not dissipated at all.

I keep wondering whether I might have dislodged the lower part of the prosthesis or done some other damage and should have my OS take a look at it. I was not cemented. Any advice? Just let it go a bit more? Thanks all. :fingersx:

btw - the Sainted Joe's LTKR is scheduled for September 9...and we are scheduled to get on a plane for France 5 weeks later! Hope he is ready for it - but he still works out or walks at least 6 days a week. :yikes:
 
For the sake of your peace of mind, Lynn, go and get your leg checked. An X-Ray will reveal whether or not you've done damage to more than soft tissues.
 
Update! The Sainted Joe's recovery from his right knee replacement is a story that makes us all jealous! 3 weeks after he was on the stationary bike and had walked 2 miles. 7 weeks later we boarded a plane to Europe and he walked and biked all over the place. SIgh! But so very happy for him.

My parts are all still behaving - I've even started Pilates. Unfortunately for Joe who expected to be coddled by Nurse Lynn, Nurse Lynn had @ 80 lbs. of stone sample boards slide edge-first onto her left foot on Sept. 17th! Local Doc-in-a-box emergency office said after 5 X-rays he didn't think it was broken, just badly bruised. Nurse Lynn was relieved of her nursing duties and Joe took over for me! 2 months later and a great deal of pain, I saw a foot specialist this week - his X-rays show the 1st metatarsal was clearly broken - he said he would have operated o it immediately. Now waiting for him to determine from a CAT if it happens to be knitting together in proper alignment or if it needs "intervention!"
 
Oh, no! So sorry to hear about your foot injury! Hopefully it’s knitting together correctly.

And, wow, about Joe!:wowspring:
 
Happy to hear of your husbands remarkable recovery, happy he had a smooth sailing recovery.

Ouch, dropping stone sample boards on your foot had to be very painful. Sorry the first MD missed the fracture, hope you do not need surgery for alignment. :fingersx:
 
Good news about your hubby's recovery. Bad about your poor foot. I know how that feels! I hope it's healing in place and that all it needs is time.
 
Its been a while since I've checked in on my own thread. Question for old hip-pies: my hips are now 19 years old. :dancy: Recently, I've had a great deal of pain in the groin area on the right and up around the hip on the side. Trying to decide of it is just muscular or if there is a chance my liner is deteriorating and I need to see my OS. Anyone had any experience with this?
 
I'd call your OS and have your hip checked, to find out what is going on with your 19 yo hip.
If there is something going on, it is better to take care of it sooner rather than later.

Could be loosening, the liner wearing out, etc, or hopefully just a muscle strain.

Good Luck!
 
Last edited:
Thanks @Pumpkin ! I am hopeful it is muscular. I did call and no openings until April, because since all my parts have done so well I've not been in there in years, they consider me a new patient! They suggested going to urgent care for a diagnosis and then call back. Oh well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom