• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Reclaiming my Future after THR

I was surprised that I was able to do it at one month post op. Sat at a kitchen chair and piled a few big hardcover books on one of those little fold flat stools. Clipped, filed, polished. Worked for me! Ask some questions of your salon and see what they say. It’s not worth the risk to me, I do my own pedi which saves me time and money. There’s a photo in here of a bilateral who did hers early on. It was kind of a mess and made me chuckle, but bless her heart. A bilateral! I’ll see if I can find it.

Just realized she was only two weeks post op…a Bilateral! Amazing!!!

How about "Reclaiming my Future"
because that's exactly what I'm doing-- I'm taking back what I lost during my years of pain and loss of mobility and creating a brighter future, one step at a time.
Love it! You certainly are doing it!

I added "after THR" so folks know right away from the title which surgery you've been through. Hope that's okay.

Had my right hip replacement 4 weeks ago today. I see my OS tomorrow morning for my 1st postop visit and I have a list of questions for him-- mostly regarding my future infection fears from just about everything, LOL. I do have a question for everyone who has passed this 4 week point-- I still have some hard swelling under the lower part of my incision, which looks to have healed nicely. The swelling continues a few inches below the lowest part of the incision. Each day I have different weird sensations, aches, pains, etc., but nothing horrendous. Yesterday and today, it hurts a bit under my incision and once again deep in the glute on that side. I have my last home PT visit today and I'm expecting to be given a prescription for out patient PT tomorrow. I can walk without the cane for extended periods of time and if I concentrate on raising my knee a bit and rolling that heel to toe movement, the limp is barely, if at all, noticeable. Haven't used raised toilet seat for about 1 week now. I've walked in the grocery store, flower nursery, church, for extended periods of time. When out and about, I do use my cane sparingly because it's my security blanket and I want to know it's there in case I need it.
How am I doing? Is it normal to still have hard lumps under the incision and just below it at this point? There's no redness or heat, just the hard swelling which is minor to moderate. Is it normal to still get some pulling pain in the incision area and in my glutes and sometimes groin area?
My ROM has improved significantly in spite of severe atrophy in my abductor and I'm very pleased with that. I need reassurance. I read that so many people are walking unaided for a mile at this point and feeling back to normal, so I don't know where I fit in?

I still have some hard swelling under the lower part of my incision
I see my surgeon today. and I also have a bit of a lump in the general area you describe. I expect it will take months, maybe a year, to completely fade away. My first THR was 11 years ago and I recall being a bit annoyed by the length of time for the hip to disappear. I do walk unaided but I also feel stuff going on in my upper leg from time to time. That takes a long time to resolve.

@AlanInAZ
Thank you so much for responding! I have awful health anxiety since my youth and since this replacement I'm paranoid about infections. I see the hard swellings and my mind automatically goes to infection, even if the area is not red or inflamed. I'm finding that as I walk more and do more in general, I'm getting aches and pains that I didn't have before. But I have to progress, right? I have to try and do a little more each day? Have you decided on Switzerland yet? I'm hoping you're up to it. Life is so short.

Have you decided on Switzerland yet? I'm hoping you're up to it. Life is so short.
We have not decided. We skype with family every week and our plans are very changeable. The trip is very long and I normally I would wait until I was comfortable walking most of the day on most days. Switzerland does twice as many hip replacements per capita as the US. Walking is more important there. In AZ I can hop into the car and get by without too much walking but that is not the case in urban Europe or some US cities where mass transport is the primary means of getting around.

I still have some hard swelling under the lower part of my incision, which looks to have healed nicely. The swelling continues a few inches below the lowest part of the incision.
Soft tissue "reactions" -- like swelling or hard areas -- are normal during the early phases of recovery. It's just part of the body's healing process. I suspect what you are experiencing is nothing to be concerned about, but I'm glad you can have the surgeon look at it tomorrow to reassure you that it's all normal.

Please give us an update after that appointment!

I still have some hard swelling under the lower part of my incision, which looks to have healed nicely. The swelling continues a few inches below the lowest part of the incision. Each day I have different weird sensations, aches, pains, etc., but nothing horrendous.
Please read up on 'healing ridge'. It's a very common thing in surgical incisions, that is likely what you are feeling. Your doc tomorrow will be able to tell you if there is anything to be concerned with, but that's tomorrow!

My ROM has improved significantly in spite of severe atrophy in my abductor and I'm very pleased with that. I need reassurance. I read that so many people are walking unaided for a mile at this point and feeling back to normal, so I don't know where I fit in?
I'm several weeks behind on my hip upgrade, but one of the most important things I learned during my TKR recovery is that no one's recovery journey is really relevant to yours. You say you have muscle atrophy. How strong were you? How fast does your specific body heal? How bad was the damage before surgery? All these things make each of us unique. There are trends that can guide us, but don't compare your recovery too closely to someone else.
My surgical leg is enormously swollen right now, for example. Much worse than 'normal', but I know it is 'normal' for me. I have to just roll with that.
Enjoy your new ability to just be out and about on a lovely day. I can't wait for my turn.

Happy Friday and Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope your appointment with the OS went well.
Enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@proffrench

Thanks @Layla!
OS visit went very well, healing nicely. Today I go for my 1st out patient evaluation and start there Monday in earnest. To be honest, my rotator cuff area hurts a lot more than my hip and that'll get addressed during PT too. OS xrayed my shoulder and manipulated it and says no tear, but rather impingement of the joint due to walker use that 1st week. If PT doesn't help, he'll consider cortisone injection. Fingers crossed it works because I sure need a night's sleep.
Happy Mother's Day to all our mothers on this site!

Saw the out patient PT for my evaluation yesterday and I am going to take it easy today. BIG difference between the PT who came to the house for the first month and graduating to the big time at a facility. I'm grateful that the man who is my PT is the oldest, most experienced person there (because he's going to have to treat my hip as well as the awful shoulder impingement that the walker caused), but he pretty well contorted me to see what my current ROM is. He really took his time explaining everything in detail and I sure appreciated that. But the big takeaway-- reinforced over and over again on this invaluable site-- was that TIME was the greatest physical therapy. Time and weight bearing by walking. No matter how many exercises we do and how we excel at them, our insides will take their own time to heal. He was realistic about swelling-- occurring 6 months to a year after surgery-- as well as that "normal" feeling while walking-- could be up to a year! I like him and I know I'll grow stronger under his watch.

Love this! I am so happy for you that you found such a great match in PT. :yes!:It's always nice to hear the medical professionals back what we advise here through years of member testimonies of what works and what doesn't for the great majority. Happy Saturday!
@proffrench

No matter how many exercises we do and how we excel at them, our insides will take their own time to heal.
Let's post this on our foreheads so we see it every time we look in a mirror!

Sounds like you have a wonderful PT. Here's wishing you get some relief for your that shoulder soon.

Saw the out patient PT for my evaluation yesterday and I am going to take it easy today. BIG difference between the PT who came to the house for the first month and graduating to the big time at a facility. I'm grateful that the man who is my PT is the oldest, most experienced person there (because he's going to have to treat my hip as well as the awful shoulder impingement that the walker caused), but he pretty well contorted me to see what my current ROM is. He really took his time explaining everything in detail and I sure appreciated that. But the big takeaway-- reinforced over and over again on this invaluable site-- was that TIME was the greatest physical therapy. Time and weight bearing by walking. No matter how many exercises we do and how we excel at them, our insides will take their own time to heal. He was realistic about swelling-- occurring 6 months to a year after surgery-- as well as that "normal" feeling while walking-- could be up to a year! I like him and I know I'll grow stronger under his watch.
That is a huge improvement over the first Physio. He has it spot on. Now you just have to exercise your "patience" muscle as well as everything else. Thanks for posting about his advice re the swelling. I am frustrated I still have this 9 months out but it IS improving. Once you are allowed to do it some regular massage around the scar this works wonders too.

I have 2 questions for seasoned THR veterans:
1. Hair loss??? As you can see, I have long hair-- thinner than before menopause for sure, but still have a lot of it. It has been coming out A LOT the last 3 times I washed my hair. :bawl:I know stress and the trauma of surgery can do a number on hair, so if this has happened to you, did it eventually slow down to a normal amount in the brush after washing?
2. Sleeping on the non-surgical side? I would love to transition from my back (although I do love my Lounge Doctor) onto my non-surgical side. Each time I try it with a pillow between my knees, the surgical hip starts to feel uncomfortable-- not painful, just that pulling sensation. At what point did you realize that hey, I can sleep on my side like I did before all this started? I think it would also help my poor rotator cuff impingement (darn walker week #1) that wakes me up in pain all night.
I'll be 5 weeks post op tomorrow, if that helps.

1. Hair loss??? As you can see, I have long hair-- thinner than before menopause for sure, but still have a lot of it. It has been coming out A LOT the last 3 times I washed my hair. :bawl:I know stress and the trauma of surgery can do a number on hair, so if this has happened to you, did it eventually slow down to a normal amount in the brush after washing?

Stress does cause hair loss, but usually the loss from that doesn't show up for a few months.
On the other hand, blood thinners are known causes, and that happens right away. Do they have you on a blood thinner? You might also want to read about stress, b vitamins especially biotin, and hair loss.

You can't tell from my picture, but my hair is past my waist. I've looked into this many times. It always freaks me out.

@luvcats
Yes, my hair is down to my waist in the back too. I was on the lovenox (blood thinner) injections for 14 days after the surgery, so maybe that's just showing up now? I go through spurts similar to this about once a year, but this is a little more than usual. I also had another (minor) surgery 2.5 weeks before the THR that used general anesthesia, plus my son and his wife had a baby 1.5 weeks after my operation, my MIL had to go into assisted living 2 weeks ago--- ARGH!!!! Too much stress!!!

My hair is as long as yours and I didn't notice any hair loss, but I didn't take any blood thinners or other meds aside from some pain meds. THR recovery worked out to be stress free, it was actually the most relaxation I'd had in many years.
I had strange sensations like my hip was pulling out of the socket when I first attempted sleeping on my non-op side. I would try it and it wasn't long before I had the sensation. It took a little while before I could do it and feel comfortable.

2. Sleeping on the non-surgical side? I would love to transition from my back (although I do love my Lounge Doctor) onto my non-surgical side. Each time I try it with a pillow between my knees, the surgical hip starts to feel uncomfortable-- not painful, just that pulling sensation. At what point did you realize that hey, I can sleep on my side like I did before all this started?

I am a back and side sleeper. For the week after my surgery, my back was sore from sleeping only on my back and not moving. I was also propping my operated leg up on a big pillow, which also made it hard to turn to my side.

At some point, I gave up elevating my operated leg, and I found myself sleeping on my non-surgical side. I've been doing that for at least a week now, and I did not experience the feeling you have. I actually feel like I could sleep on my surgical side, but I don't want to push my luck.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member