Guest viewing is limited

Reassurance please!

@Cassidy Perhaps call the surgeon's office and ask if there are weight bearing restrictions for an un-cemented THR...to put your mind at rest?:sleep:
 
Of course you're both right @Mojo333 and @anny! Probably a bit of OCD creeping in there - the exercises the hospital gave me are the usual holding on to the back of a chair and raising the op leg up in front, to the side and the back, and my evening out instinct wants to do it on the other side too, which would mean standing on the op leg. As you say @anny, the wobbling stork isn't a good look (sounds like a yoga pose!)
 
Thanks for the suggestion @Alitm, but I don't have a direct contact with his office - I saw him in January and March, and will probably see him just before the op, but the only contact I have is with the Pt's and they don't seem to know much about the individual surgeon's preferences. So I think it'll be a case of wait and see.
 
Just rung the PT's office again, and they said it would only be non-weight bearing if it was a particularly tricky op, but not usual, so that's comforting. So, if all goes well, I'll hopefully not be non-weight bearing, which is a relief. I had enough of that last time!
 
Hi @Cassidy, if you are having your surgery privately you may find more info on the website of the NHS hospital where your surgeon works the rest of the time. I found a lot more info about what happens pre- and post-op by doing that, especially about what would be needed when I got home.
 
I'm actually going NHS @EmEm. I suggested rustling the money together to go private, but my OS, who does both, said I'd do as well sticking with the NHS. I just find that the PTs are loathe to comment on what the surgeon may/may not do.
 
@Cassidy I am sure you have had enough of non-weight bearing with all you went through previously! I have been reading everyone's threads to get up to speed on what folks have been through and to get an idea how recovery and the "side roads" unfold. I am under the impression that I will be weight bearing as soon as possible, but not sure where I got that to be honest. Do you have to go to a "class" prior to surgery, in addition to pre-op? Here in BC, Canada we do. I also have a booklet my surgeon gave me when I signed up for surgery, which I need to re-read as I haven't read it since the spring! I digress, I believe they get you up asap for blood clotting reasons amongst other things. We have to be able to take care of our personal hygiene and go to the loo with our "aids" prior to leaving the hospital here, as be able to heat up a meal etc. Thinking of you as the week progresses. Hope you are finding things to keep your mind busy:spin:
 
In theory I did have a class, @Alitm, except they sent me to the knee replacement class! I didn't really need it, though, because I'd learned just as much via Bonesmart. I had a booklet, too, but I try not to read it too much, because it says things like a replacement hip will never feel like your original hip, and your hip may need replacing after 15 years - all things I don't actually want to hear!!
 
a replacement hip will never feel like your original hip

well that's rubbish! At about 14 weeks on, my hip is still a bit stiff and sensitive but I now have full movement (well, I suppose they're right there.....before the op my hip was stuck and made me limp) and have no sense at all of anything being different within the joint.....I can quite believe that in a few months, once all the niggles have gone, it will feel EXACTLY like my own hip....before I ever had any problems :happydance: It might be different for other people but in the beginning there's no reason to expect anything different!

And of course, being avid readers of this forum, we know from Josephine that modern hips are said to be 'for life'....I'm counting on mine seeing me out :yes!: Maybe you could tear those negative pages out of your pamphlet Cassidy....just keep the useful stuff....tho what more can they tell you that you don't already know from BS? :wink: :heehee:
 
a replacement hip will never feel like your original hip, and your hip may need replacing after 15 years - all things I don't actually want to hear!!
Mine feel perfectly normal and I plan on being buried with my current set...can't promise myself...but that is the plan.

Hope you have a Good Night, @Cassidy :angel:
 
Last edited:
@Cassidy I hear from others on this forum and in person that as time goes by, maybe six months or so, you start to feel like the joint is "yours". The only thing, and it is small in comparison, that I can compare to is a dental implant I when I smashed a front tooth years ago. I have the titanium rod in my jaw and I have completely forgotten about it. I only remember when I am asked if I have any implants!
Your booklet sounds as if it needs a little editing by some Senior BoneSmartie members!!
I'm 58 and my surgeon said my hips will last my life time, and he knows I have horses, lead an active life style as well as the riding and that intend to get back to training as soon as I've healed properly..not going to risk the new hips!! Hope that puts a more uplifting spin on things...
Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way.:angel: I know this week will feel like forever.
 
Last edited:
I will say, @anny, that a lot of the leaflet I was given is quite depressing, and if it wasn't for reading about others experiences on this forum I'd have believed it all! My OS did say to me that I'd maybe have a problem with my hip if I intended to last more than 40 years or so - I did tell him that my Gran made 98, but even that shouldn't be a problem! I like to hear comments by others who have been before, so thank you @Mojo333 and @dlp. @Alitm, I think you and I have to stay positive - I might stop reading my leaflet. It's a bit like that adage that keeps cropping up on social media and birthday cards - I read that drinking wine was bad for you, so I stopped reading!
 
I think you are going to be surprised and excited (I hope) that it doesn't feel like you have a foreign object in your body.
Muscles sore...yes. Incision ...well of course.
But I haven't had any feeling of not having normal hips.
I do get that we all peruse through the what-ifs and worse case scenarios, but you've already done that in spades.
Our tentative Cassidy is going to be a powerful inspiration to all the worriers who visit here after a few short months is my prediction:curtsey:
Think Positive and know we are rooting for you!:yay:
 
Happy Tuesday, @Cassidy
At one year out I would say this...
My prosthetic feels like my natural hip.
However, it will never match my natural hip. And I'm good with that.
My ROM is not as it was with my natural hip before it began its decline.
I feel the longer you are in pain and suffering loss of flexibility and mobility, the more you'll appreciate THR. We have to face and accept we live in an aging body and have an expiration date. I think it was Irish Joe who said if all I ever am is 90%, I'm good with that. I'd say I have to agree and you may too.

Only 3 more sleeps, Cassidy, and you'll finally join us on the other side! I'm very excited and happy for you.
I'm glad your date was moved up because just think how good you'll feel by Fall when I believe you were originally thinking you'd have it done.
Prayers for your comfort and peace of mind as you await Friday.
 
I think the trouble is, @Layla, my sub-conscious keeps thinking it's the choice between getting back my perfect hip or having a sub-standard replacement - it keeps forgetting that the original perfect hip is never going to return! My ROM isn't as much of a problem as the pain on walking - although I've long given up trying to cut my own toenails (not that I'm going to give up my pedicures once I can!). And if you can manage to be doubly happy with your hips, @Mojo333, then hopefully my single implant will please me.
 
Hope you are in a good state of mind..ready to transform into that active hip pain-free lady that had lots of life to live.
I'll be thinking of you, Cassidy.
You are going to do great!
 
Thanks @Alitm and @Mojo333. I'm not too bad today as I'm at work and it's my last day, so I'm pretty busy. Tomorrow I plan to clean in the morning and food shop in the afternoon, so should be occupied again. Ironically my hip has been behaving itself this week, so I'm back to thinking I should hang on to it - but I'll be on my feet dusting and hoovering tomorrow, so it should show its true colours! In the evening my husband suggested going out, but I've told him I'd rather stay in with him and my daughter and watch Paddington 2. It sounds reasonably light entertainment and, if I think of any last minute things I need/should do, I can break off and get them/do them. I'm sure if I went out I'd be worrying more. I'm a bit like @anny and @dogchick in the preparation stakes! I don't expect to sleep overnight Thursday/Friday. I'll have to be up at 5.30 or so to hibiscrub and dress - hopefully I'll sleep later in the day! It all seems a bit surreal at the moment. I do keep thinking what should I do whilst I can, though? And the list is endless! I'm not going to be good at being a patient invalid for weeks - I'm an up and goer, like most women.
 
You'll be surprised at how quickly you will be up and moving...slowly, but moving! In 6 weeks, you will be well on your way to “normal” or better. Look down the road and know this recovery is not forever! There IS a great life ahead after joint replacement! You've GOT this!
 
Back
Top Bottom