Guest viewing is limited

Reassurance please!

replacing my dear old hip joint

I get it.....but that 'dear old hip joint' isn't being as loyal and supportive to you, is it? :chinstroke:I do sympathise.....going thro the same thought processes for lefty now. Decided to be decisive and phoned the surgeon's office yesterday to book a date......they won't book it in until I've seen him again in 2 wks time (even tho at my 6wk checkup he would have given me a date then!)....so now I can feel my motivation seeping away (rotten weather=little activity=little pain) :sigh:
 
Not as soon as I'd hoped - having already had my pre-assessment and joint school (albeit the wrong one!) - but the date for my op has just come through as 3rd August. At least now I can make plans for July.
 
@Cassidy Which hip are you having replaced? I'll pop your op date in your signature for you.
 
Oh finally!!:yes!:
I know you might prefer sooner, but so happy you got your date.:)
 
so happy you've got that date Cassidy :happydance: now you know what's happening you can concentrate on something concrete......makes you feel a bit more in control
 
Thanks @Jaycey - it's my left hip (unless they slip up again, and work on my knee instead!) :rotfl:

Yes, @anny, it's good to be able to plan ahead a bit now. I'm only sorry it's a way ahead, because I thought it might be over and done with in June and I had some "fun" things planned for August that I thought I might be able to do a couple of months down the line - but no way now! It's also a rather unfortunate weekend in terms of family being around. In fact, I may have to ask my younger daughter very nicely if she'll pick me up from the hospital and take me home and look after me for a bit, as my husband has been roped into driving my son to a music festival with all his gear that weekend - I was going to tag along - and if he backs out now my son's high and dry, so to speak - and you know how we spoil our children! Mind you, I think my daughter might be a better carer than my husband (he does his best really!), so it might not be all bad. And @Mojo333, as long as I can convalesce whilst it's still summer, I'm happy. I'm just going to try to cram a lot into July. Already booked a ukelele and singing weekend away that my husband wanted to go to, but didn't like to book in case my op got in the way. Also another trip down to my parents. So life doesn't feel quite so in limbo now. (Not to say that I'm looking forward to the actual op any more than before though!) :dubious:
 
I may have to ask my younger daughter very nicely if she'll pick me up from the hospital and take me home and look after me for a bit
You will need someone to drive you home. But in terms of getting along on your own I think you will be pleasantly surprised just how mobile you are post op. They will teach you everything you need to know about moving around on your own in the hospital including going up and down stairs. If you are given any restrictions they will show you how to move without violating them. Many of us were on our own through recovery.
 
:) we will help you work on that Cassidy...I am constantly amazed how this surgery has reset my life.
The what ifs do stress us oout but hopefully due to your participation on the forum, you have a Good Understanding of what NOT to do and that you will do splendidly.
So glad you can make your trip!:yes:
 
Glad you have your date... Mine is one week before yours! Pre-op assessment today - have done my urine sample (ugh) . Hope the Consultant does not give me any more grief re my weight - trying to exercise nearly impossible now despite trying to walk as much as I can.
 
Thanks for the reassuring words @Jaycey. I keep telling my husband that I probably don't need to have somebody here 24/7 - in fact, it might be nice to be on my own occasionally! Mind you, it won't be the same as being on my own now, when I rush around tidying up and trying to get the place straight - that part of it will be really frustrating! (Like most women, I suspect.) You're right @Mojo333, this forum has given me a really good idea of what I'll need and what I should and shouldn't do. All I've got to do now is remember to stick to it! And @SurreyGirl, I'll be keeping an eye on you! Hopefully we'll both bounce back together! You'll be in the same climate as me, so I'm hoping sitting in the sun will be good for the recovery - as long as it's not a wet summer. They're predicting sunshine at the moment (but I never know what they base that on, and you remember what happened last time they forecast a barbeque summer!).
 
hi Cassidy - Apparently August in the summer is going to be hot hot hot! Looking forward to exercising by walking gently around the garden..
 
Yay! :happydance: A date! :yay: So happy to see this :yes!:
Your hubs may surprise you and be a better caretaker than you imagine.
Mine was and I was pleasantly surprised. I hear you on the mess around the house biz. It drove me nuts.
See if you can enlist the help of a friend or family member to come in weekly to attack whatever bothers you most. Before you know it you'll be on your own with it all only feeling better than you did before.
I'm excited for you!
@Cassidy
 
I'm doing my pre-op exercises, as instructed by the OS, and wondering if I strengthen my muscles, surely it'll be harder to dislocate my hip?! The trouble with having to wait for the op is the mind starts asking all sorts of questions. Some are sensible, and some are slightly more disconcerting. I also keep thinking "I won't be able to do this, that or the other, post-op" which is even more disturbing. So much so, in fact, that I convince myself (again!) that I'd be better off without the op. Is it mostly women that overthink things do you think? (no pun intended!)
 
@Cassidy I'm sure some men (I know a few) overthink things too, they just don't admit it (kind of like asking for directions...).

Are you thinking about the dislocation of your hip during the surgery being harder if you strengthen your muscles a bit now? I doubt it and even if it was, you'll be blissfully asleep and none the wiser when it happens so don't worry about it. If anything, it might make your recovery a bit easier, so focus on the positive!
 
@Cassidy, I'm pleased you have a date for your operation. I chose to book mine 3 months ahead because of work and family commitments and the time went surprisingly fast. We also managed to fit in a short holiday just before too. I only bought extra normal pillows and used them to prop up back/knees etc depending on what was the most uncomfortable. At one point I had 6 in the bed with me - no room for OH!
 
Yes @jaydub63 - I didn't make myself by clear. I was reading the thread about the difficulty of dislocating the hip joint during the op for somebody with strong muscles, and thought of my exercises!! @EmEm, I suspect the time will go quickly. We went on holiday in May, thinking the op might be in June, but as it's later than anticipated we're trying to fill July with a few nice things to take my mind off it. I just need to stop dwelling on all the things I won't be able to do post-op. Like most people on this forum, I'm generally an active sort (mentally if not physically!), and remember the last time I was wheelchair/crutch bound - not with delight!
 
I'm normally very active but managed to relax into recovery and actually quite enjoyed it once the nausea and pain were under control. I would never have imagined using a colouring book - I'm a graphic designer, but I found it very therapeutic. New felt pens were a treat to myself. Hopefully the weather will be good enough for you to be outside some of the time.
I know it's hard to imagine how you will be after surgery but I'm 8 months on and really notice the difference. We drove to Switzerland and walked every day and nobody would have known I have a replacement hip. Think of how you will feel next year.
 
I'm generally an active sort (mentally if not physically!), and remember the last time I was wheelchair/crutch bound - not with delight!
That is only short term- you will be through that in no time, or so it will seem when you look back...
 
@EmEm and @jaydub63, thanks very much for your encouragement. I'm trying to plan lots of leisure activities for afterwards. I'm really looking forward to being able to walk properly again, and maybe even tone up a bit! I still have times when I really resent having been put in this situation (my misdiagnosis), but I also realise that the only way forward is this op. I still might try to find out the name of the consultant who misdiagnosed me, just to put a name to a face.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom