Guest viewing is limited

Reassurance please!

7 years...not SO much.
You aren't old...I felt 100 by the time my hips wore out.
Now I'm back to feeling 39!
 
Cassidy, I know the leg pain you are talking about. It took me a year to get a dx after ruling out MS, doing xrays, podiatry, P/T, rheumatology, etc. Finally, an MRI and a good Dr. (the first ortho doc said I'd never do yoga again; current doc is much more experienced and positive!). I have 3 years of warm pool exercise behind me now which helped immensely so I'm strong but the dog walking has become very painful. I'm not walking anywhere at present except the basics and have my temp handicap permit. I texted my doc in the middle of the night being a drama queen and told him I'd amputate the damned leg if I couldn't get my appointment moved sooner. By the next morning he was in touch and I was on the way to getting the THR for my hip! Sometimes we just can't fix it ourselves and need to be a bit dramatic!
 
I'm sorry your leg is hurting. It does make us feel old. But thankfully there's an answer
and you know what that is....I'm glad you're almost there @Cassidy

Yes, you can look glam after 60. It's all about confidence.
So hold your head up and use that cane confidently. Soon enough it will be in the back corner of a closet
because you'll no longer have use for it.

I hope your weekend is good!
 
Hope your weekend is good too, @Layla. I've got a busy one, so could do with a hip that behaves itself! I see your op is imminent @luvsibes - all the best for next week (I'll be following with interest, so it had better be good!) :yes!:
 
If I had a leg in plaster I wouldn't feel the same, but there's something about being in my 60's and having a walking stick .....!!

Lol know what you mean @Cassidy....I was reluctant to progress from crutches (maybe a skiing accident, sprained ankle from bungee jumping....?) to a cane (old lady near sell-by date :whistle:). Just remember the cane is temporary, then you will be rejuvenated and it will be redundant :happydance: Sorry your pain and instability is getting worse....hope you can get it sorted before too long
 
I've sort of decided to lay low a bit until I get my surgery date. Although I've been extremely grateful for the words of comfort and reassurance from you all, I also dwell too much on the negative experiences of some, and I've got myself into such a state over the possible infections, dislocations, tronchitises (or whatever the plural is!), stem loosenings, revisions, fractures, etc., etc., - (my offspring are always on at me not to worry about everything I read in the paper, for example - I was worrying about antibiotics becoming useless in the near future, so what happens if I get an infection in my hip further down the line ...) - that every day my hip eases up (like this weekend) I convince myself that I'd be better sticking with my faulty one than risking an alien implant. Batty, I know, but not good for my nerves (or my husband's). I find it all fascinating, but not when I know I'm soon to be on the receiving end!
 
Yes you can sucked into letting the whole hip thing take over your world.....understandable if you're having a lot of serious pain, but I'm struggling with the 'is it bad enough' scenario again and have decided I either need to make a decision or get off the roundabout! Maybe there ought to be a separate part of the forum where people only post their positive experiences....that way you could ignore the rest.....could do with a positive filter on Google too :hairpulling:
Don't go too far away, and be sure to let us know when you get that elusive date.....hope your brain allows you a modicum of peace :heehee:
 
As the owner of an active and vivid imagination, I was advised by a wise friend to stay away from The Google. I did not heed the advice. Fortunately, none of the imaginings came to pass. The lead up to surgery was much worse than the event. Be well, and good wishes to you.
 
Thank you @Gypsy and @anny. Having said I was lying low, I have a question of any post-hip hops, please! I'm really not good at sleeping on my back and I think I remember @Layla mentioning a full body pillow that she relied on to help her in bed (no, not that way!). I've looked on Amazon and seen a Comfort U Total Body Support Pillow, but on another site I've seen a Slumber Support Pillow. Can anybody recommend a pillow to support the hip and prevent rolling over, please, as I really want to avoid dislocation?! I know I probably won't have any choice other than sleep on my back for the first few days/weeks, but I'd like to be prepared. Thanks.
 
Hi Cassidy, you're funny!
Check this out -
Amazon product ASIN B004TMHX1E
I do recommend a body pillow. I can't sleep without mine. Mine was cheap, only $10 at Target which is a chain department store in the US. The one above is cheap and is listed as Amazon Choice. It may be worth a try. I guarantee you'll use it in some way during recovery and possibly long afterward. I had several pillows I used in those early days. Some to keep me from rolling over in my sleep. Some to prop, some to wedge. I'm not alone, I've read of many who had a variety.

I wasn't a great back sleeper either but there is something comforting about being surrounded by pillows
you can use here and there. Like a small fort as a child :heehee: Happy pillow hunting!
@Cassidy
 
Thanks for that @Layla, but unfortunately the link isn't showing :thud:
 
I've had a challenging week since pre-ops with an immune system crash ending in mild cold and allergies and of course, no meds for it. Saline gargle, nose spray, and as many acupressure points to massage as I could research and find! I did cheat once with a Flonase squirt. I woke today feeling good and pretty excited to get this done! I'm ready!!! It's been four years of working in the pool, etc. to maintain function but pain and limitations have increased this past several months.

I have been on my back (ugh) and right side (ugh-my right shoulder hates this) for months. I've had a small bone-shaped pillow between my legs when on my "good" right side for about a year and under my knees when on my back. I've been sleeping sitting up in the living room a lot. I'm curious if the full body pillow goes between the legs or behind you so you don't roll over? We're in a queen bed and I'm used to not rolling over, sleeping on my left hip, or off the bed. Do you think I will need this? Will it be too big for our small bed? There isn't a second bed in the house. I know hubby can run to Target is it's needed when I return home this weekend. Thanks.

I
 
Hmm...bummer! When you tap on the photo, it's not taking you to the link?
Try Googling this on Amazon -
Aller-Ease Cotton Hypoallergenic Allergy Protection Body Pillow
20"x54"
US price $16.82

It has (1744) 4 star reviews, is inexpensive and is Amazon's Choice.
@Cassidy
 
I tried a body pillow but couldn't get on with it....all that stuffing down my side brought me out in hot flushes again! After much experimentation my answer is to have a foam wedge plus pillow at the top and two pillows from top of leg to ankle (let heels dangle over the end.....I've got long legs so you might need to experiment with no and size of pillows). Raising the heels off the bed stopped the pressure pain I got from them always being in the same position, my knees were slightly raised by the pillows so have solved the lower backache, and by having the 2 pillows positioned across the bed (as opposed to down) meant that I'm unable to turn to either side (at least, not without a massive effort which brings beetle on its back to mind!). In effect, your body is a shallow 'V'. I find it quite comfortable and sleep well, tho I'm still looking forward to my surgeon releasing me from the restriction :yes!: In the end it's all a matter of experimenting and seeing what suits you best
 
Hmm...bummer! When you tap on the photo, it's not taking you to the link?

Forum doesn't like Amazon links - no pictures or links get posted. I'd swear I read a reason for this, but I'll be darned if I can find the post right now.
 
Thanks @Layla and @anny. Sounds as though I might be best off waiting to see how I go. I'm dreading the sleeping on the back scenario. I don't sleep well at the best of times (unlike my DH, who can sleep anywhere at any time and in any position!). I did wonder about the heat issue, as I get overheated easily anyway. And thanks, @dlp, for your input - and all the best for your upcoming op (if it hasn't already happened - these time zones confuse me utterly!)
 
Time zones confuse me too @Cassidy! Sometimes I google what time it is in a certain locale if I'm unsure.
That's so I don't wish someone a great evening while they're wiping the sleep from their eyes over their morning coffee. :heehee:
As an example, I'm typing this at 8:45 AM and you're mid afternoon.
But it's 11:45 PM in Sydney, Australia and our friend Gretel is either sleeping or getting ready to bid Wednesday farewell. Crazy, it is!

You may not get overheated with an ice pack firmly affixed to your hip, as often as it will be. :ice:

Hope the rest of your day is good!
 
Reading this with a lot of interest! Cassidy, you are going through the same thought processes as me as I have good and bad days. In the end I drew two columns re the pros and cons of going for it (I now have a date btw).. I included in the Cons having a part of the body that was not me, the fact that I was admitting to getting "old" at 58!, the terror of an operation… but I also listed the fact that more than 15 minutes walking causes me pain, I can't stand up at cocktail parties (!), I can't dive, sail or swim anymore without pain, driving my beloved car hurts like hell, I sleep for four hours and wake up screaming, and I am terrified of a hip collapse… I then realised that this has been going on for two years and getting progressively worse. Once I put all that lot down, and read a lot of encouraging posts here, I decided to go for it. Pre-op on Monday next week so fingers crossed. I am sure I will be a real wimp post recovery but am trying to stay positive. I will let you know how it goes…. best of luck in your decision…
 
I'm evening now @Layla, and taking a (well earned?) rest. Strange to think you're still early afternoon. The one that gets me is knowing that my in laws in New Zealand are in the New Year before me - I can't quite get my head around that!! @SurreyGirl, my quandary does sound similar to yours. I must say that mine doesn't affect me as much when sleeping, but there are times when I really can't walk without holding onto a work surface and other days, like today, when I can walk without any real problem at all. On days like today I drive my husband mad by saying that maybe I won't have the op after all. I was looking at a site yesterday and it said could I walk one mile - and, to be honest, I can't any more. I'm now worrying about the fact that my OS is suggesting I have an uncemented replacement, and I'm concerned that my bone won't grow around it well enough. Every day brings new concerns it seems. I wish I could be somebody who didn't overthink things. And, like you, I really don't like the idea of something inside me that's replacing my dear old hip joint. Anyway, I'm going for it once I get the date through, so I wish you well with yours, and do keep in touch with the outcome. I'm having mine done at Orpington hospital in Kent; which hospital are you going to - I see you're fairly local to me (compared with the US, Canada, etc)?
 
I really don't like the idea of something inside me that's replacing my dear old hip joint. Anyway, I'm going for it once I get the date through,
Yay for you.
I didn't like replacing my body parts either but MY dear old hips were a big fat pain In the behind - leg- thigh- groin - causing me pain, lack of sleep...and I no more wanted to hang on to them than a rotten tooth!

I sure wish you had a date so we can cheer for you.:yay:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom