Guest viewing is limited

TKR Reassurance needed

How did you appointment with your consultant go, @William1950 ? Give us an update when you have a chance.

We're thinking about you.

:flwrysmile:
I saw my consultant made him aware of my lack of sleep and eating. He said he was aware of this with people after TKR but said that it was known about but did not offer any explanation.
He was very pleased with my knee he thought I not would be at this point due my anxiety. He was happy with my knee when I held it straight and bent, so it appear I am on track.
I asked about bio oil he explained how to apply it, he said I can drive well he said yes to most of my questions. Will see him in 3 months.
Started my tablet 7.5mg at night so waiting for it to kick in.
 
Yay! Good news! Great report! :yay:
I saw my consultant made him aware of my lack of sleep and eating. He said he was aware of this with people after TKR but said that it was known about but did not offer any explanation.
Your body is healing, your system was stressed, your routine changed, there was / is physical pain involved... all of which can temporarily affect sleep and appetite.

Since your recovery is going well and the consultant was happy with your progress, without you specifically conveying your anxiety and / or low mood, his reaction may have felt a bit dismissive to you. It's likely he didn't realize this is significant to you currently. I'm sure he hears about lack of sleep and appetite from many post op patients, early in their recovery. He knows that resolves over time and assumed you understand that also.
It is beneficial for him to know about your emotional state because if he felt it was affecting normal progress he may have suggested you speak with your GP or a mental health professional, but thankfully you received a nod of reassurance from him and hopefully you're feeling better because of that.
 
I'm so glad you had a positive meeting with your consultant, @William1950. It's wonderful that you are doing this well so early in recovery.

I hope you can breathe a sigh of relief now that he has told you how well you are doing and reassured you that your sleep and appetite issues are normal. This recovery is challenging for all of us -- and even more so for those of us who struggle with anxiety.

Started my tablet 7.5mg at night so waiting for it to kick in.
I hope it kicks in quickly, although I know it can take several weeks to get real benefit. In the meantime, try to get some fresh air and sunshine -- especially in the morning. It can be really helpful.

And we are here for you. :console2:
 
I’m glad you got a good report from your doctor. :flwrysmile:

He said he was aware of this with people after TKR but said that it was known about but did not offer any explanation.
Proof that they are great with their surgical techniques but don’t always understand the recovery. That’s why Bonesmart was started many years ago.

You might want to re-read the following articles. Sometimes knowing the “why” we can’t sleep helps us relax and accept it.

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Hello William, :wave:
Is the week off to a good start for you? I hope so.
Wondering if you've been behind the wheel yet, on an errand or even a peaceful drive? I remember how excited I was to have my independence once again even if only to go for a drive listening to some music. Whatever gets us through the days of early recovery, right? :driver: I hope you have a good Tuesday!
We're here for you.
@William1950
 
Started driving had to adjust the car seat, not driving to far just need to get my confidence back, I drive a manual car so my left knee gets a work out changing gear.
My PT at my hydrotherapy said I am doing well my knee was at 3 and 119 after my session, I realise that might slip a bit but I getting there but not pushing it.
My consultant letter to my GP said he was very impressed with my recovery especially with me suffering with anxiety. Seen my counsellor who reminded me to try and move away from my negative thoughts she also reminded me as you all done, it early days in my recovery.
Off next week to sing at Abbey Road I go to Rock Choir so we will be recording where the Beatle and others have been over the years. My PT said to move around and not sit for to long with my knee bent.
:)
 
Hi...it's nice to hear from you!
You took the first big step getting behind the wheel, that's fantastic! You will slowly get your confidence back. It sounds like you received some reassurance from both your PT and OS, that has to mood booster also. I do hope with the good reports you've received you're able to view your recovery in a positive light because you're making great strides. How fun to be recording in a place that carries the history of Abbey Road Studios. I hope you fully enjoy, William. Let us know how it goes. :)
BestWishes!
@William 1950
 
Off next week to sing at Abbey Road I go to Rock Choir so we will be recording where the Beatle and others have been over the years.
Wow, go you, that’s incredible. Please share and tell us all about it. I’m sure it’ll be amazing.
Your surgeons letter is great too, well done you and we’re all behind you.
xxx
 
amazing, @William1950! you're doing so well, really getting out there. it takes a lot of courage to feel the anxiety or fear.... and do it anyway. much harder than being "fearless".

my husband and i saw 3 of our local deer in a line in a crosswalk the other day and immediately wished there had been a fourth. it was an Abbey road moment for sure!
 
My PT said to move around and not sit for to long with my knee bent.
Great report! Well done on the driving. Your rock choir sounds awesome.
Agree with your PT that movement is important. I had a rocking stool that I used in the evening when watching TV- to gently move my leg even when sitting. Some people here have used a skateboard for this purpose.
 
Off next week to sing at Abbey Road I go to Rock Choir so we will be recording where the Beatle and others have been over the years. My PT said to move around and not sit for to long with my knee bent.
This sounds like a lot of fun! It's great to read of you getting back to your normal life!
 
Hi, now into week 8 my sleeping and eating are getting better.
My question is what exercises should I be doing and how many times a day should I do them have read your recovery guidelines.
Also realise I am going through the squiggly line of progress.
At hydrotherapy before going into the water my extention was 10 when before it had been 5 but after its was 3 with effort.

I want get a happy balance of exercise, walking and rest. Espically with next Sunday in mind for my trip to Abbey Rd also our London Marathon is on so trains will be packed.
 
There is no simple answer to your question about exercise because every knee is unique -- and so every recovery is different -- even two knees in the same person as I saw first hand: my second TKR recovery was completely different from my first one.

Keeping the joint moving is key. But, there can be a lot of trial and error to find the sweet spot of what's right for you. And, that will change over time.

I found this article very useful in helping me come up with a plan that worked for me: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/from-mobility-to-strength-with-your-new-knee.25463/

Don't worry about meeting certain numbers of repetitions or times/day. Try some of the exercises and see what feels right. A little discomfort is fine, but you don't want to be in intense pain. Listen to your body. If you find yourself in pain at night, you probably did too much that day and need to scale back a bit.

Remember that at just two months post-op, you are still early in this recovery. Some discomfort and swelling is normal at this stage. So is fatigue, although that will improve slowly in the weeks ahead.
 
Be sure if you are going out to anything where there will be crowds that you have a cane with you. You might not need it, but it will be a signal to others that you need a little extra space.
 
You’re doing great. I know your wanting to feel and be just like nothing happened, and you will in due time. But your TKR is brand new, please remember that. It will get fatigued easily and swell. As stated a cane or crutch is a visual sign to others to not knock into you. And it also helps you balance when you’re tired.

You've got this.
 
I want get a happy balance of exercise, walking and rest. Espically with next Sunday in mind for my trip to Abbey Rd also our London Marathon is on so trains will be packed.
Hopefully you can be there early enough to get an aisle seat on the train, so you're able to stretch your leg...IF there's room to, it should help. Compression socks can be useful depending upon how long you'll be on the train. Do ankle pumps every 20 minutes or so to keep the blood circulating, or gentle knee bends. If you have to stand, shift weight from one leg to the other and refrain from locking your knees. With any luck you'll have a seat, especially carrying a cane, or someone will be kind enough to offer up theirs if they see you standing. Have pain relief with you in case you need it while away. I'll bet you're excited! :yes!: It should be fun!
 
So I thought I was on the up and up but after 2 weeks my Mirtazapine seem to have stopped working told my GP he agreed to wait a bit then maybe put the dose up.
Now I am back waking early and hearing my heart beat. Last night I went to bed 10pm woke up at around 12 with heart beat raised so took my blood pressure it was 173/103 it freak me out. I think this has what been happening since my op. I have rung 111 here on the UK waiting for them to ring back. I take meds for my.blood pressure and have stable angina.
I am assuming due to my.lack of sleep that it why my BP high at night. Any thoughts would be helpful. When my sleep meds worked it was great. Being an anxious person has not helped. Now starting 9 weeks post op.
 
Has anything else changed in last few days?
Are you drinking less fluid, or had a bit more alcohol/ change of diet? Also, If you are naturally anxious there can easily develop a vicious cycle where anxiety pushes up pulse/ BP and then the fast pulse makes you feel more anxious. I have postural tachycardia and it was definitely worse in the early months after my PKR. Lack of sleep also affects pulse and blood pressure. It's a good idea to check in with your GP or 111 though, even if just for reassurance.
 
How aggravating it is to hear your heartbeat! I hear mine almost all the time now. This has been going on for the last year or so. My HR and BP are normal, so my doctor says it's just tinnitus. Great. Another one of the joys of getting older!

Have you tried deep breathing exercises? My smartwatch has that app. Also, it reads my heartrate continually. I pull up the app on my phone and watch how things affect my heartrate. Even watching an exciting show will cause it to rise. Our bodies are remarkable, and we can do things to make them react better. I pray you will find peace. Prayer works for me!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom