Guest viewing is limited

TKR Reassurance needed

There is no universal answer on how much exercise you should do. Just do what you’re comfortable with. I’m in a post procedure rehabilitation centre in Sydney. Had 2 x 1 hour plus exercise sessions today. Went for 2 walks around the halls here with no aids but finding sleep hard to come by. Did the Physio myself the 2 TKR operations before, but here they have both coaching staff and injury specific exercises to complete. Food is good here and the staff are very helpful. I know progress is coming on faster than if I
Expected. Good luck with recovery.
 
Good Morning,
You're only one month post op which is still very early into the healing process. It is normal to have good days and not so good days. Try not to judge your progress day by day. Instead, pick a day of the week and on that same day each week, reflect back upon what's improved. Journal at home, or here on the forum, daily, and I believe you'll see the progress you're making. Your knee is still healing so if you begin feeling discomfort or pain, you will need to dial back walking, or activity. Then re-engage slowly. Go for a couple 10-15 minute walk a day and see how you do. If you do okay, then very slowly add more time / distance, but don't walk until you're tired, because you still need to get back home, lol. :wink: Be consistent with what's working and you should be okay.

When you overdo it, rather than letting your mind spiral with negative thoughts, disrupting sleep, remind yourself that tomorrow is a new day and you'll rest a bit more and all will be fine...and it will!

[Bonesmart.org] Reassurance needed

Make today a good day! :SUNsmile:
@William1950
 
Another thought...
What worked for me was using the Activity Progression -> HERE
Remember that progress looks different for everyone, different timelines / same goal.
So the Activity Progression is a guideline, not a checklist, please keep that in mind. :thumb:
 
5 weeks is still very early in this long recovery. At that stage I walked down the lane to a nearby house, a few doors away, repeated it two days in a row then if all good on the third day I went to the next house, again repeated for a second day, and so on, slowly building up the walks. This is a graded recovery. Pain or swelling indicates too much. Sometimes two very small walks better. Eventually I got to the end of the lane, then it was twice a day, then I went further.
Your activities of daily living also account for significant ‘physio’.
 
You've been given such good advice here. At 5 weeks its so very early in recovery, you'll have good days and some not great days. As Legseleven wrote, that's how I started walking, one or two houses then home. And slowly, ever so slowly build upon that.

Has the surgeon encouraged walking already? I'm just curious. Some do and some hold off counting household ADL's enough on the baby knee for a bit.

In time it will all fell better and normal to you.
 
I am seeing my surgeon on the 9th April for my 6 weeks check up.
Cannot wait to take compression stocking off I know I had to wear them for a reason I have stable angina so I think they playing it safe.
My mobility is getting better I can walk without my cane but have not done any great distance, just as suggested walk a few houses and then farther when ready. I have my cane around just in case. Sleeping still not completely there yet but with more activity like walking that might help.
Knee still swollen and warm but realise that this will b around for some time to come. My hydrotherapy is really helping they r not pushing me. Doing my exercises, icing and elevating. Still a long way to go, trying to remind myself there will b ups and downs. I think we all want get there as soon as possible.
Best wishes
 
That’s a great update. Slow and steady wins this “race.” :flwrysmile:
 
Great progress! Just be sure when you’re beginning to walk without your cane, you are not limping at all. If you do, it means it’s a bit too soon to attempt this. Be sure to concentrate of a good gate where your heel strikes first and you roll forward to push off from the ball of your foot for the next step. You may need to walk slower to do it this way, but it’s the best way to ensure a proper gait with your new body alignment from the knee replacement.
 
Hello and Happy Tuesday!
Cannot wait to take compression stocking off
I don't blame you. You'll celebrate the day you can trash those miserable things :wink: even though your OS was taking necessary precautions.

You have a great attitude and thankfully you're not caving to any unrealistic timelines. Keep pacing yourself and eventually you'll be where you want to be.

Best Wishes for your appointment on the 9th...if we don't hear from you before then. Have a great day! :SUNsmile:
 
Right week 6 post op start tomorrow Wednesday. The question is I have taken on-board what u have all told me but what exercises should I b doing as well as walking.
The compression stocking come off the day before my appointment with the surgeon on the 9th.
 
Hi @William1950 -- The key at this every early stage of recovery is to mobilize the knee. You want to focus on simple movements, not exercise for "strength." Check out this article: BoneSmart view on exercise

Personally, I found my stationary bike was my biggest asset during the first couple of months of recovery. I set for no resistance, put the seat high so I didn't have to bend the knee too much. At the beginning, I couldn't do a full rotation, just back and forth. But that gradually improved with time.

Another movement quite a few of our members like is sitting on a chair high enough that your legs can dangle and then just let my legs swing in and out.

Some of our members never do formal exercise and rely on Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) to get the movement they need for recovery.

You need to find what works best for you. Just remember to listen to your body and don't push yourself into pain.
 
One more question when I take my compression stocking come off as they go up to.the knee will my lower leg swell up ? I.just thought of that.
 
You may see a little swelling in your lower leg. No one can say for sure as each person is different. As you continue to do more of your normal activities, any swelling should decrease. Be sure you are drinking at least 64 ounces of water each day as that helps remove fluid from your system. During surgery you are given extra fluids and it can take a while for all that to be eliminated, especially if you’re not drinking enough water.
 
One more question, when I take my compression stocking come off as they go up to the knee, will my lower leg swell up? I just thought of that.
You can ice whenever you experience swelling, which may occur up to a full year post op. So if you're a little more active one day and notice swelling, or not active enough and you notice swelling, ice and elevation should still help. Only one week with the sock left to go then....FREEDOM! :egypdance:
 
I am making myself anxious due to the fact that I am still getting loose stools which has gone on for over 5 weeks now. I did do a sample but that day it appeared to be hard so I assume the test did not show anything then it started up again. Any thoughts will be helpful as I am now worried. It’s Easter here so cannot see a GP until at least Tuesday.
 
I'm sorry you're feeling anxious over this situation.
I did do a sample but that day it appeared to be hard so I assume the test did not show anything
You need to find out exactly what the results were through whoever tested the sample. Ask if they need an additional sample. My best advice is for you to touch base with your GP, today, with a list of any medications you're on / dosing schedule and see what they advise. Let them know you're worried and ask if you can please hear back today as we lead into a longer weekend for many.
Good luck!
 
Just realized you're in the UK and several hours ahead of us time wise. If your GP's office has a physician on call over the weekend, which I am assuming they do, leave a message for a call back to see if they're able to offer you any reassurance or advice through a more detailed conversation with you.
 
Good to hear it. Hopefully they're able to asses your symptoms and decide whether you need to visit urgent care.
Keep us posted, we do care. :console2:
@William1950
 
Spoken to GP she said that the test results appear to show not c diff she can access my medical records.
She feels I should see my GP when Easter is over to try and see what the cause might be and do some other tests. If anything changes I am to call them back. So feel a bit better. Thanks Layla for your kind support.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom